Genetics and buff bodies?

I don't know, I personally don't see many women "packing on the mass." I do see women gain lower body size--hips & thighs, but other than that it's just physiologically impossible for women to gain massive muscles unless, as you said, they have a little too much testosterone.

While I don't think most of us use genetics as an excuse, I do believe they play a role. The key is to recognize genetic weaknesses & do what's needed to overcome them. I definitely have certain body parts--especially my waist & stomach--that don't look very good if I don't really focus on diet & cardio. I know what I have to work extra hard on so I just do it. But I don't have the everyday hassles of kids/family & stuff like that (although I do put lots of hours into the job), so it might be a little easier for me than it is for some.

I agree. Genetics has much to do with the way we look. I have brown eyes, my brother has blue. Why? Genetics, of course. We all have different body types because of genetics but we can work our hardest to do the best with what we've got.

Now, when comparing ourselves to Cathe, I think we need to get real here and remember, Cathe's life's work is about muscle development. She owns a gym and she produces workout videos. She has resources some of us will never have because she's taken a path in life that really requires her to stay ultimately fit. I don't know about you guys, but I work at a desk job 9 hours a day. I don't think Cathe has every sat for nine hours straight due to her chosen profession!

I also think Cathe lifts heavier in her own personal workouts.

I agree, I work 9 hrs a day at a desk too!

Usually, diet plans and workout plans always say "set realistic goals". Some goals are easier attainable by some people more than they are others. Isn't it true that everyone has a certain weight/body fat% their body is comfortable at genetically?

I think that genetics plays a large part in your overall body make-up, but I also think that genetics simply gives you the primary canvas of your body type. However, through diet and exercise you can certainly make transformations.

For me my thighs and my butt are my biggest problem. Whenever I begin a diet program and workout intensely, the first thing to go is my tummy, waist, and breasts - I am just not meant to hold fat in these areas. Next is arms and face, and FINALLY tush and legs will slim down. I have a muscular body now, but it REALLY takes work on the bottom half.

You can also look to the female body builders to see that genetics aren't everything... I am CERTAIN that these women don't all come from a long line of genetic specimens. It takes work - for some more than others. You just have to know what areas require the most work and intensify your workouts in those areas.

I love CATHE - but I don't think that her physique is impossible to achieve for anyone. It takes work. HARD WORK!!

I agree that genetics has something to do with it. You can still have a great body. For instance my younger sister always had one of those stomachs that just lays flat, now even when I was younger my stomach never just laid like a sidewalk, I've always had a slight curve to my stomach. My calves are genetically small, so I would really have to put some extra effort into them to get them larger or just keep working them out and atleast have them look small but strong. As far as Cathe, I'm pretty sure she trains a little differently in her private life, not that her videos aren't challenging but you know she does have to be able to get through them and she's talking continuously through them. So she's at a pretty intense fitness level. Once again I do think we can all be the very best we can be, and isn't that what makes the world so interesting? I wouldn't want to look at a bunch of women who all looked the same.

Dani,

It's tough, I know. I try to be realistic but I tend to expect a lot from myself, too. I remember my Italian grandmother (God love her) was 5 ft tall and 5 ft wide. She had wings for triceps. I know what I can look like if I'm not careful.

When I start berating myself for not looking a certain way I have to remember that I have an office job and need my down time too to mentally recharge. I work out very hard and eat very clean and am healthy. That is all good.

I'm looking forward to my retirement so I can devote more time to working out and taking care of my body!

Courtney,

I know exactly what you mean. I am right there with you. Lower body is stubborn as crap no matter how hard I push that bit of cellulite stays planted...genetics? I see my mom and sisters legs and I wonder how far can I go with these legs of mine. DH tells me that I have improved them, but they are far from where they need to be. So just keep pushing and one day break down the barrier is the way I need to go.

Wayne,

I agree with you that diet and exercise are the key...we all know that. I swear that is why I try to stay away from ice cream and the other evils because I know that it will only move me backwards instead of forward, and I guess that is what keeps me motivated is because each morning I wake up and know I am going forward and not backwards. I really can beat myself up if I dive my teeth into something I know I shouldn't be eating. Nothing wrong with a treat once in awhile, but for me, I need to be careful because I will want a "treat" all the time so I rarely indulge.

Charlotte~~

cathe has also 20 something years of training and eating right.I see the difference in her body in every series of workouts.she didn't wake up one morning and have the body she has now.she has put time and hard work in.But it is attainable for anyone wanting muscle to gain it.
edited to add- sara you look great.

Hi Danielle! Yes genetics plays a very big part in it. I used to have a personal trainer & I would've died to have her legs. They looked exactly like Cathe's. She only did step to get them to look like that. Oh if only my legs did the same!!LOL There's only about 10% of these type of women that can have Cathe's physique. Kathy :D

I agree with icklemoley that a lot of people are quick to blame genetics rather than taking a good, hard look at the amount of effort spent training and, more importantly, eating "right". It is true that some people have to work a bit harder to get the same results -- but, really, the limiting factor is diet and exercise. Of course, the diet and exercise must be tailored to your goals. That means you have to know what your goals are and what exercises you need to be doing and how often and what your diet needs to be like. Many people don't have all that information and/or aren't putting it into practice. If you ask them, they will say they are eating "right" and exercising but don't see any changes. Ask them about their protein intake...are they getting 1 g per pound of bodyweight everyday spaced between 5 or 6 meals? Probably not. Are they doing HEAVY resistance training (ie, heavy is not an at-home Cathe workout -- it is something like 2X your BodyWeight for squats, BodyWeight for bench press, etc)? Probably not. Are they getting an hour of cardio (intense) at least 3 times a week and then low-to-moderate intensity all the other days. Probably not. Are they drinking lots of water? Getting enough vitamins and minerals? Avoiding alcohol? Not eating before bedtime? Do they cycle their training for building mass and cutting fat? Limiting carbs? Most likely they're NOT doing all of that the majority of the time. Easier to blame genetics.

On the flip side -- one of my big pet peeves is when someone will tell me that my successes are due to genetics. My family is NOT genetically gifted by any means. I am the only one who exercises or knows anything about nutrition. I didn't even looked like I worked out up until 2 years ago when I finally stopped my whining and started figuring out what it took for me to look the way I wanted. For months at a time, I ate mostly protein. No bread. No rice. Very little sugar. Tuna, chicken, protein bars, protein drinks, water, salad -- that's it -- for months. No cheating. No alcohol. Exercise every day for up to 4 hours (yes, that was extreme and didn't last much longer than 6 weeks). Incorporated endurance weight training (like Cathe's DVDs), heavy weight training, cardio intervals, stretching. Up to 150 grams of protein per day. That's what did it for me and I was in the best shape. People could tell I worked out -- but they would always shrug it off and say, "you're so lucky with your genetics". Yep -- has nothing to do with my sweating through 4 hours of workouts and watching everything that goes into my mouth.

Okay...sorry for the tirade there. Essentially what I'm saying is that we all have the potential to do amazing things -- but what WILL we do? I think the genetics excuse, for MYSELF (yes...I used to say the same thing) and for others, is just easier than what it actually takes. And the next time you see someone who looks great don't be too quick to brush off their hard work by suggesting that it comes naturally. They may be up at 4:00am doing a killer workout while you're still snoozing :)

Shonie

Hi Shonie,

Thanks for that reply. I've tried eating hardly any carbs and I can't do it. I almost faint every time I try it. I have a full time job and a young son, I need my sleep in the morning or I can't function at work, so I have to workout in the evenings.

I know some people workout for hours and hours per day...it doesn't surprise me that they look so buff.

What I am talking about is people who workout for maybe an hour a day 5 times a week, cheat here and there and are still able to get attain such a buff body. I guess what I'm asking is, "Does genetics play a role with how hard someone has to work to attain that goal? Also, are some goals just not realistic for some people?"

Some people can still enjoy life by eating non-clean foods once in while, workout only 1 hour per day vs. 2-4 hrs per day and still get that physique. I think genetics plays a role here in these cases.

Candi :)

I'll be thinking about you snoozing away while I'm on the treadmill ;-) Actually, these days it's just because I happen to be awake at that time -- not because I want to be :-( Insomnia sucks -- but I'm trying to make the best of it!

Have a great day!

Shonie

>Hi Danielle! Yes genetics plays a very big part in it. I
>used to have a personal trainer & I would've died to have her
>legs. They looked exactly like Cathe's. She only did step to
>get them to look like that. Oh if only my legs did the
>same!!LOL There's only about 10% of these type of women that
>can have Cathe's physique. Kathy :D

Hi Kathy!!! http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/images/smiles/agreed.gif

That's what I think. :)

Hi Again Danielle! There's a fitness/bodybuilder expert by the name of Kevin Klein in Texas (he's mentioned on the leanandstrong website)who constantly fiddles w/the competitors "diet". Every week to be exact. The macronutrients must be "spot on" otherwise it can cost these people a bundle not only in their time & effort but in their dollars too. Yes it takes very HEAVY training with a personal trainer + the proper macronutrients to combine it all. The cardio has to intense too. But look at the arms on Diane Sue (WD). I'll NEVER have arms like her no matter how much lifting I do. All I can do is just try to keep lowering my BF% to make more muscles (the tiny ones that I've got) show through.

Anyway we're all trying to achieve the BEST that we can. Kathy:D

Hi again Kathy! Yes, I agree! I'm training for a marathon right now and will start adding more weight work. I'm gonna keep on keepin' on and just be happy! :) I look better now than I ever have and I'm happy with that! My mom and of course DH keep telling me how great I look. DH says he adores my shape right now and doesn't want me to change a thing. He calls me "gorgeous", and "beautiful" all the time. He says I'm everything he's always dreamed of. Awwwwww!!! That's all that matters right? :) It seems like we are our own worst critics.. at least I am anyway.

shonie you too kthe words out of my mouth.I find it a insult to be told I am in shape because of genetics or because I'm young(I'm 33 not young).give credit where credit is do I work very hard and through trail and error found what I had to do.If my genetics where the factor for my body judging by my family I'd be over 200lbs and big breasted and I'm neither:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.