Garmin Forerunner--opinions wanted.

elsie3

Cathlete
Does anyone have a Garmin or a similiar product? I would like something that tells me my mileage, pace, and heartrate for running. I was looking at the 305.

It's not a purchase I can make in the near future, but I'd like to start gathering info--and dreaming.

Thanks,

Last edited:
We're considering going to a Garmin also! We use the Nike+ Sensor right now, but are finding it to be variable in it's accuracy and sometimes it's way off! We're thinking we'd invest in one maybe for Christmas and share it since DH goes running more often than I do and usually on weekday mornings when I'm leaving for work. Then, when he finds work, we can get a second one so we each have our own!

I've heard great things about the Garmin!

I'm looking at them, too! I'm debating between the 305 and the 405. I've heard great things about both!

I have the 305. I have issues getting a satellite read within a reasonable period of time - sometimes it takes longer than 10 minutes on a sunny day with no trees or large buildings around. It also hurts my wrist. It's really big and heavy and it doesn't fit well to my wrist. I have to stick cloth underneath it to stop it from hurting. Sometimes I switch wrists in the middle of a run.

Truthfully, I wouldn't buy it again.

I have a 205, and I wouldn't be without it!

I love seeing my pace as I'm going, and having the Garmin keep track of mileage, pace, etc. It allows me to compete against myself (and I actually could, with the 'virtual partner' feature, but I've never tried it) and keep working on getting better.

I have no problem with it finding satellites (once, I turned it on while going out the door, and it almost immediately locked into the satellites...which made me a bit paranoid about "The Man" spying on me...LOL!). It takes under a minute, depending on the day, and you have to stay in place until the lock is found for best results).

I have thin wrists, but I don't find it too be too big or too heavy. I recently changed the band out for the quick-release velcro band, and like it a bit better.

I'm not sure how the heart-rate feature works, since the 205 doesn't have a heart-rate monitor.

I don't know which one you're looking at (the link isn't clickable, and I don't feel like cutting and pasting), but I've seen quite a few bad reviews of the 405, while I know quite a few people who love their 205/305 (same thing, just that the 305 has a heart-rate monitor).

I have the basic 101. It was only $100 and I love it. I don't know if it has the heart rate monitor, but I love it for telling me my pace and mileage. It is a must for me when I run!
Jenn

I've had the 305 for over 2 years now and have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with it at all. Amazon just had it as one of their specials this past week. I totally suggest using the 305.

I've had the 305 for over 2 years now and have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with it at all. Amazon just had it as one of their specials this past week. I totally suggest using the 305.

Me too. I actually tried their latest models the two newer ones (the one with the bezel, and the triathlon waterproof version) and returned them. The 305 is far from being a small everyday watch you can wear, . . it is huge but it really does the job, . . .great for hikes and bike rides too.

The 305 is the one I was looking at. Thank you for your reviews. It really helps to hear from people who have used it.

Another vote for the 305 here. DH uses it ALL the time, and really loves it. It's reliable and easy to use. We did a lot of research and did hear abundant bad reviews of the 405. I say go for it!
Heidi

The Garmin is the best investment ever! I too had the Nike sensor thing, but it was NEVER accurate. It always had me running way faster than I knew I was or way farther than I knew I was. Because of those issues, I bought the 305 (a lot of my friends had the 405 and has some issues). The 305 is great, and you can use it for biking, running, etc. I never have issues with the satellites, but I am in Dallas where it is flat and usually use it for running or riding on the streets, not trails. I highly, highly recommend.

I love my 305. I have small wrists and it fits fine. I haven't had any trouble with the sattelites. I especially like the altitude feature since I run in a hilly area most of the time. Good to know what the altitude is so I can evaluate my performance objectively.

FitDoggie

morningstar~ I'd contact Garmin to see what's up with it? I've heard that this model is superb....especially in rural/tree filled areas....which is why I purchased this model.

There are two versions of the 405 -- 405 and 405cx. I know a couple of people with the cx and they love it. For those of you who heard negative things about the 405, can you specify which model?

Thank you guys so much. The Garmin 305 is on my wishlist. Can I survive until August and my birthday? Technically, I really should wait for Christmas 'cause my VersaGrips were an "early" B-day present.:eek: Must . . . be . . . strong!:eek:

Chiming in late, but hey, better late than never, right? ;) I have the 405cx and it's AWESOME. Love.it. Couldn't run without it. I love that it comes with a changeable fabric wristband for a better fit on small wrists. It locks onto satellites super-fast and is so easy to use. There are several runners in my running group who have either the 405 or the 405cx and they all love it. Definitely recommend. For me, the 305 is much too big and bulky. I can't imagine lugging that around for a 16 mile run. The 405 is not obtrusive at all. Just my $0.02. :)

Chiming in late, but hey, better late than never, right? ;) I have the 405cx and it's AWESOME. Love.it. Couldn't run without it. I love that it comes with a changeable fabric wristband for a better fit on small wrists. It locks onto satellites super-fast and is so easy to use. There are several runners in my running group who have either the 405 or the 405cx and they all love it. Definitely recommend. For me, the 305 is much too big and bulky. I can't imagine lugging that around for a 16 mile run. The 405 is not obtrusive at all. Just my $0.02. :)
Evily, I was hoping you'd weigh in! I've been doing a lot of reading and it looks like the cx is pretty highly rated in reviews -- basically on par with the 305. Did you buy yours direct from Garmin or from another site?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.