Gardening Help..Not Sure Where to Start

stepitup

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

The flowerbed in my front yard looks like a mini jungle and I'm sick of living with it after many years. I've decided I'm going to rip everything out that is growing there and plant some low-maintenance, ground cover plants with a little color plants mixed in. Beyond ripping stuff out, I really don't have a clue what comes next. Do I buy more dirt, do I need to have my existing dirt tested, just buy the plants and begin planting?? I'm sure this sounds obvious and I would not be as worried if it weren't the front of our house.

I am planning to talk to folks at a nearby nursery, but I'm so green (pun intended:D) that I really wouldn't know if I need whatever is suggested!

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First, assess your site. Many of your existing plants may be fine if you clean out the bed, prune and mulch it properly. Honestly, "ground cover with a few color plants" doesn't sound real exciting.

Second, have your soil tested. Your county cooperative extension office will usually do this for free. (Google cooperative extension plus your county name and you should get a county website. In some states, they have moved to a regional approach but someone in county government or at your landgrant university will know how to put you in touch.) You will go to the office for directions and forms and bring them back your soil sample. They will send it off and then help you interprete it when it comes back.

Add amendments as recommended by your local agent or your local Master Gardener program (which will be run by your extension office). Generally you will be adding organic matter (improves both clay and sandy soils) in the form of COMPOSTED (not fresh) leaf mould or animal manures. Depending on your area you may need to add lime.

You extension office should also be able to provide you with a list of plants that are recommended for your area (not as susceptible to disease/pest issues, suited to the climate, etc).

Don't just start planting and don't assume that the people at the nursery are giving you the best recommendations.

Happy gardening.

lrayburn thanks so much for replying!! I've located my cooperative extension and Master Gardener website - there's so much information on there it's actually making me very excited and less frustrated (there's even a gardening summer camp that I think my DD would enjoy and classes for me!). I will definitely be calling them today. I really would like to create a nice garden that I will be proud of but didn't know where to start so thought of going the simple route of "ground cover and a few plants" - I agree, not very exciting.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Look around your neighborhood for yards you like the 'look' of. compare to see if they have similar sun exposure/shade as you to decide if the same plants would work in your garden. try to, as best you can, draw a plan out on paper.
I've found neighbors who garden to be good sources of info and often of free plants.

Look around your neighborhood for yards you like the 'look' of. compare to see if they have similar sun exposure/shade as you to decide if the same plants would work in your garden. try to, as best you can, draw a plan out on paper.
I've found neighbors who garden to be good sources of info and often of free plants.

This is true because I am one of them! I have neighbors that are always coming over in the early spring wondering what I'm digging up. When there are so many perennials in the yard, you have to eventually divide them and I despise throwing them out into the compost pile.

lrayburn thanks so much for replying!! I've located my cooperative extension and Master Gardener website - there's so much information on there it's actually making me very excited and less frustrated (there's even a gardening summer camp that I think my DD would enjoy and classes for me!). I will definitely be calling them today. I really would like to create a nice garden that I will be proud of but didn't know where to start so thought of going the simple route of "ground cover and a few plants" - I agree, not very exciting.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

You're welcome. That's what extension is here for. The great thing is that extension provides unbiased, research-based information and can help steer you towards best plant choices. Many frequently used (or over used) plants are not the best choices. Good luck learning and gardening. Most extension/Master Gardener programs offer some form of ongoing educational opportunities throughout the year.

Lisa

Hi Everyone,

The flowerbed in my front yard looks like a mini jungle and I'm sick of living with it after many years. I've decided I'm going to rip everything out that is growing there and plant some low-maintenance, ground cover plants with a little color plants mixed in. Beyond ripping stuff out, I really don't have a clue what comes next. Do I buy more dirt, do I need to have my existing dirt tested, just buy the plants and begin planting?? I'm sure this sounds obvious and I would not be as worried if it weren't the front of our house.

I am planning to talk to folks at a nearby nursery, but I'm so green (pun intended:D) that I really wouldn't know if I need whatever is suggested!

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Actually doing some rejuvenation in the garden myself this year, before you rip everything out you may want to look at what's really there and what's doing well. Pick up Home Depot's Gardening 1-2-3 for a lot of basic information on composting, soil, light, water, season & regional information. for a few dollars this book gives you the basics & the store carries many of the plants listed in the book. (landscaping 1-2-3 is also pretty good as a starter) It's an inexpensive way to get started.

You could probably assemble all that stuff from resources & experts, I enjoyed reading and experimenting. :)

Some of the plants that have done the best in my garden are the ones I didn't totally rip out. :eek:

Have fun with it!

One other note, nothing wrong with starting with annuals, I think children especially would like. Flats of geraniums, begonias, and marigolds can make an excellent display for months & months, another low cost / high return on time & money.

One of my first garden projects was a "hedge-row" line of annual red geraniums, beautiful, right in front of the house. It cost ten-twelve dollars I think, each was $1.00. Just trim the flowers up as they go bad & water regularly, weekly. I brought some of them in over winter for the following year.:)

My neighbor does this every year with an especially nice salmon colored one.

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.