Galloway's Book on Running

AWESOME!!! I am starting to train for the mini and my mom gave me this book to help me. Do you other runners (Carole, Dani, Sarah just off the top of my head) use this as a guide? If not what other books do you use?

I haven't gotten too far into it yet, I am only at about page 50 but I already know just what my muscle fiber, or cell, consists of and how it works, how it heals, what it needs. This book is awesome! I thought that I was a "runner" before, but every time I turn the page I am being humbled. I can't wait to dig in further!

How many of you are doing the mini this year? What kind of strength workouts are you doing along with running? Is anyone else as excited as I am, or am I just being a huge goober? :p

Missy

I have to say I'm in the goober club. I just got a treadmill in Dec. and began to run. Much to my surprise I love it. I have been inspired by the other girls here as well. I have even gotten into the vegetarian way of life thus far. I think it was either you or endorphin junkie who began this recently. I have been wanting to give it ago for health purposes and so far I'm 8 days in. It has been a wonderful change for me so far.

As far as running I signed up for a 5k in May. I don't have the book but am super curious about it now. I have slowy began to build up my endurance and thus far this week have run 17 miles. I have done 3 mile days and 4 mile days on my treadmill from anywhere from 30 minutes to 50 minutes. I have also done slow and heavy with short cardio runs ( 30 min about 3 miles) on Mon Wed and Fri. On Tues and Thurs were my long runs about 50 min and close to 4 to 5 miles. I am just begining but I think this is working well for me thus far. I also did legs and glutes this week after slow and heavy shoulders. I didn't do slow and heavy legs. Anyway I would love for anyone to comment on this and to see if I am actually running enough to make the 5k . What has your workouts been this week? The only thing I think I really need is to figure out how to put in the circuit workouts. Maybe if I do this for 3 weeks I will then run and do circuits.Karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

I have several running books and my absolute favorite is Hal Higdon's Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide. I get adrenalin rushes when I read it! Also, you can't go wrong with a subscription to Runner's World. And, you can check out the Runner's World website for any and all training plans from 5K to ultra marathons.

Oooh, I will check out the website, Elaine, thanks! My mom subscribes to RW and I check it out every now and again. I have always loved to run, and have always felt like I was good and it, and now I am learning how to do it RIGHT, it is awesome! And I will check Hal Higdon's out from the library here. Have you read Galloway's? How does it compare?

karenvictoria, how do you feel now that you are meat free? It has been... five and half weeks for me and I feel faboo!!! :7 Now I can't believe that I ever ate meat or drank milk! It is a pretty awesome feeling - very clean almost. I feel healthy! I have just added an extra protein shake each day after my workouts - soy protein that is, to make up for what I am missing from meat. I feel awesome! I actually run faster and longer and all my cardio work has improved. It is amazing!

How do you incorporate strength into your running regime? Do you focus mainly on endurance?

Missy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.