Free standing boxing bag

tlc93

Cathlete
Does anyone have one? I've had a hanging bag (that hangs from a sturdy stand, not the ceiling) for many years. It's starting to show signs of wear. I have it in the corner of my wkout space so moving around it is difficult. Also because of where it is its hard to do certain kicks. It's kind of caddy corner. Anyway....I'm researching different free standing bags that the base gets filled with sand or water. As you know, it's overwhelming when you start looking at prices, reviews etc. I would like the Century wavemaster XXL. But it's $300 and I just got the Fit tower, Cathes new presale, a few wkouts from ebay....you get the picture right? A bit of money! But I don't want to waste money on a cheap product. What do you use? Any suggestions?

I, too, have been looking around (although through craigslist etc.) but I have been on the fence as I am not sure if I want the mess of filling with sand etc. Will be watching your thread, Peg.
My interest has been re-peaked cause I really, really enjoy the LIVE Boxing routines. :)

I have a Wavemaster which has a big black base (I put sand in base) with a top red bag portion. You have small adjustments with
the bag portion, moving up & down. I like it, the only thing I don't like is because the base is so high, it's hard to do kicks very good, but for boxing moves, it works great. I've had it a few years, but it was only about $100. It came from Dick's Sporting Goods.

If you have an unfinished ceiling you may be able to have a handy person do this for you. It was quite inexpensive to do, everything purchased from Home Depot.

l've worked with both types of bags and prefer the free hanging, especially for kicking. I have the hooks in the middle of my gym ceiling where I can circle it with plenty of room for kicking or pushing the bag back and forth. When I'm done with it, I hook the clip to it, then ratchet it down and lean up against the wall (and there is very little wall space in my gym).

The Everlast bag was $65 off of Amazon, free shipping too. I suppose the only problem is having this setup done. The bag I got is 70 pounds. The one hook (looks like a meat hook) is stationary. The other is a clip that I pull down and it snaps on the bag. Then I pull her up or down, nice and tidy.

Just another idea for you. boxing4.jpg boxing4.jpg Boxing1.jpg boxing2.jpg boxing3.jpg

I have done a lot of martial arts and all my gyms used the Century Wavemaster XXL with the base filled with sand. The Wavemaster is great - it's got just a little bit of give so you can punch or kick it as hard as you want and it might rock a little, but it won't break or hurt you. It's pretty easy to move around as well, just squat low with your back against it and push, or tilt it and roll it on the edge of the base. I recommend sand as a filler since that will be heavier and provide more stability. You can also do decline pushups with your feet on the edge of the base, or unscrew the top and run suicides while fireman carrying it - whatever awful creative thing you can think of! The short Wavemasters work as well but the base is taller, so you must be very careful to not kick it (ouch!). With the XXL you can more easily do punching and kicking combinations at a variety of levels without being afraid you'll miss the bag. Sometimes they can start to unscrew themselves a little from the base, but they're easy to hand-tighten back up with a quick twist.

I have not used one, but I think the Century Versys Fight Simulator that lioness posted looks pretty cool. My one concern is that 110lbs seems a little light (Amazon says that the XXL weighs up to 270lbs when filled), so if you have a very powerful kick you might knock it over regularly and that could be annoying. However, that might not be an issue for you if you're a light person or aren't wailing away at it with all your power.

Good luck!

Thanks for that review Tootles! I really find myself lusting after the Century Wavemaster XXL, for all the reasons you mentioned. I want something that can take a beating and not fall over. I'm 5'3" so I like the size of it. I don't want to kick the stand itself! Plus I don't want to get something only to quickly realize I should've gone taller, thicker, rounder. I should just shut up about it and buy it already!!!! I've wanted one for a while.

I have a Wavemaster which has a big black base (I put sand in base) with a top red bag portion. You have small adjustments with
the bag portion, moving up & down. I like it, the only thing I don't like is because the base is so high, it's hard to do kicks very good, but for boxing moves, it works great. I've had it a few years, but it was only about $100. It came from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Aqua girl I have the same bag does your move around when hitting it? I tried pretty much everything from keeping it from moving during the workout.

A Fit Granny [emoji1434]

Aqua girl I have the same bag does your move around when hitting it? I tried pretty much everything from keeping it from moving during the workout.

A Fit Granny [emoji1434]

Yes, it does move around, when I use it, I pretty much have to slide it to the center of the room so when it moves, it doesn't "run" into
anything and then when it does, I try to change directions to get it back to where it started ! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.