fractured foot

SunKissed

Cathlete
I just fractured my foot! (sniff,sniff) I turned fast to run and my foot rollled off the side of my sandle and I heard snapping. So, I'm on crutches and have to keep my foot up. I will take any suggestions regarding not GAINING WEIGHT! I'm so bummed! I don't want to get soft. Help!

Bridget

Hi - I feel your pain, this past Thursday I twisted my foot during 4DS Bootcamp drill backing up I didn't see my weights which should have been put away and smacked my foot, not as bad as fracturing but very swollen, have to take time off from cardio, etc.

I just did 2 Coremax workouts the next day, you could use the premixes for variety and I would imagine you could use some Pilates DVDs if you have them, Butts & Gutts is another good Floor/Core workout, if you have a cast, it would add some weight! Maybe you could do some upper body work to balance.

Good luck, bad break (no pun intended), just try to think creatively about what you can do instead of your normal workout.

Sharon

I know exactly what you are going through! I have injured both feet at different times throughout the last 10 months, not a break but severe lisfranc sprains with extreme swelling. I have also broken my right arm and was in a cast from fingertip to armpit for 5 weeks. During the foot sprains, I would use my elliptical for cardio since there isn't any impact. That probably isn't an option with a cast though! Concentrate on upper body weight lifting for now. Decrease calorie consumption by about 400 to 500 calories daily if possible to offset the decrease in activity. When my arm was casted, I still worked my "good" arm with weights because I have read that there is a mind/body connection that when you work your good limb, your brain sends messages to the broken limb so that you can maintain muscle tone to the broken one. This is called "cross-education effect". Try using an ankle weight on the "good" leg and the segment on Legs and Glutes when you work with ankle weights in a good one to do with one limb. Good luck and you will be fine-I was so worried about losing tone but I still stayed in shape. We are Cathletes, after all!

Last edited:
I just fractured my foot! (sniff,sniff) I turned fast to run and my foot rollled off the side of my sandle and I heard snapping. So, I'm on crutches and have to keep my foot up. I will take any suggestions regarding not GAINING WEIGHT! I'm so bummed! I don't want to get soft. Help!

Bridget

Bridget, do you have access to a pool, especially a pool with a deep end? If so, you might invest in an Aqua Jogger or similar float device that buckles around the waist to keep your head above water, and do aqua jogging drills that can target the legs and the upper body. The pool / gym facility might even have these as part of its array of equipment for its aqua group fitness classes or general membership perks. Deep water workouts can be a great way of getting your cardio in as well as total body muscle conditioning (including the lower body muscle groups in some surprising ways) in an entirely zero-impact, non-weight-bearing mode.

If this is of interest to you, please let me know here and I can cough up some drill and overall workout suggestions.

HTH -

A-Jock

Thanks girls! I knew I could get some great advice and support here! I'm not in a cast, I cracked the little bone under my small toe and stressed the tendon along the side. Great suggestions I'll definately use them!

Bridget, do you have access to a pool, especially a pool with a deep end? If so, you might invest in an Aqua Jogger or similar float device that buckles around the waist to keep your head above water, and do aqua jogging drills that can target the legs and the upper body. The pool / gym facility might even have these as part of its array of equipment for its aqua group fitness classes or general membership perks. Deep water workouts can be a great way of getting your cardio in as well as total body muscle conditioning (including the lower body muscle groups in some surprising ways) in an entirely zero-impact, non-weight-bearing mode.

If this is of interest to you, please let me know here and I can cough up some drill and overall workout suggestions.

HTH -

A-Jock

Oh please please please cough up some drills and overall workout suggestions!
I'm in a similar situation as 'sunkissed', diagnosis is pending my dr. visit tomorrow.

I have access to a pool, but only to a 5'9" depth, is this deep enough?

Also - I wanted to ask you if you have the waterproof ipod shuffle, the Swimman? If you do, how do you like it?

Thanks A-jock!

:D

I did the same thing last year, so my sympathies. Butts and Gutts? From my experience, not with a cast, even if it is soft. Just take it easy until your foot heals. Try to do as much upper body work as you can with light to moderate weights. That was what I was advised to do. Believe it or not, had I never fractured my foot, I would've never taken up weights in the first place. I guess there's good in most things if you look hard enough.

If you do gain any weight, it'll come off as soon as you start exercising the way you did before. Right now, don't be concerned with that. Heal first.

Not if I look like a cow Laura!! LOL! I've contacted SNM but haven't heard anything. I just don't think I could handle six classes in one weekend. I don't want to risk re-injury either. I feel like I would just be waisting a lot of money if I can't fully participate in all the festivities and my try-outs would not be optimal either. So after all that, probably not. Sigh! Thanks again though for everybody's help and advice!

Bridget

I di dthis a few years ago walking down my sister's driveway on flip-flops. Walked around (more like hopped) a week or so till I went to the Dr's. to get it x-rayed. It was fractured and required a cast for about 3 weeks. It was the top of the right foot along the outside of the pinky toe. I just modified workouts. Upper body was no problem. I was back to running a few weeks after the cast came off. I do know now when it is going to rain:) Good Luck!

HI!

I fractured the third metatarsal bone in my left foot on July 11. I was walking in flip flops. I went back to the podiatrist yesterday. It is finally healed. What I did while waiting for it to heal was upper body work and floorwork for my legs. I did Butt and Guts floorwork and abs premix and I also did floor work from Legs and Glutes and PLB. I am doing a 6 1/2 month rotation on STS right now and I hated not being able to do the leg work. It did make me feel better to do some kind of workout for lower body. There is still swelling in my foot and my podiatrist told me exercise would help take away the swelling now that the bone is healed. He said to start out with walking and gradually increase the intensity. My foot should be perfectly fine within 4 to 5 weeks. Whatever you do, do not try to do any cardio. I tried to do real easy cardio and I know that is why it took my foot so long to heal. I just watched what I ate and somehow did not gain any weight. Good Luck!

Denise

Thanks Denise! Boy I really hope it doesn't take that long. My doc said 3-4 weeks. Its the pulled/stressed muscles and/or tendons on the side of my foot that really seem to be the worst part. I don't have insurance at the moment so I'm just letting it heal and hope for the best. I haven't gained any weight I'm still working my upper body and the butts & guts floor work, and abs of course.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.