? For Users of Retin A or Renova

IslandRose

Cathlete
Hi! I have been using prescription Retin A for more than 5 years for adult cystic acne and other skin issues. However my insurance does not cover it and I just called my local Walgreens to get a refill and it went up in value to almost double the price (and that is with the discount card). For all of you that use Retin A where do you get it from? I am curious about Canadian drugstores, but lost because I don't know which one to use and if they are trustworthy. I would appreciate any advice as I'm running out and stressing out because of it. Please PM me if you prefer. Thanks everybody. Have a nice weekend.

I use an Rx of Tretinoin Cream 0.1%, which my dermatologist gave me to replace the expensive Renova I was using. My insurance does cover it! I pay $15 for 3 tubes of it. You might want to check on this. It works great and is oh so much more affordable. Good luck.

I use an Rx of Tretinoin Cream 0.1%, which my dermatologist gave me to replace the expensive Renova I was using. My insurance does cover it! I pay $15 for 3 tubes of it. You might want to check on this. It works great and is oh so much more affordable. Good luck.
I use alldaychemist.com

I am interested in the answers also. I us Retin-A 0.1% microgel 45gm tube and it used to cost me about $40. It is now up to $500/tube. The first price jump (I believe it was to $386) last summer I actually called the pharmacy thinking they ran the script wrong. They didn't. The price is now up to $500/tube and that is with insurance and generic brand. I talked with my TPA and insurance company and they said a lot of their drug prices have gone up due to the unknowns of the new healthcare law in America. They said as time goes on and they know the financial hit they will take, prices may go back down.

The only "good" thing that came of this is I hit my deductible on this medication alone and after that, everything is 100% covered for me. I have heard of others buying in Mexico and Canada, but I am always scared I will get the wrong medication. Also, my particular drug (0.1% microGEL) seems to not be as readily available as creams or other strengths.

Gobias, you might want to try canadapharmacy24.com. They have the gel you are looking for at a much lower price.

Thank you everybody for your replies. I'm on the same boat as Gobias. The price increase includes the generic Tretinoin and my insurance is not covering it anymore. Had I known about this absurd price increase I would've stock up on at least a few tubes with long expiration dates. :( I wonder if there are equivalent prescription medications that work as well as Retin A/Tretinoin, but that are not as expensive. I use the 0.05% cream, not the gel. I find that it helps my cystic acne tremendously without making my skin ridiculously dry. I am days away from my 36th birthday, my skin is combination oily/dry with my dry areas extremely dry while the oily areas extremely oily. I don't want my skin to get super dry. In the past I used Accutane type drugs and a topical with sulfur (I think the name was Sulfacet), but nothing works as well as Retin A/Tretinoin. It took my skin awhile to get used to it (dryness, redness, itchiness), but once my skin adapted my condition improved significantly.

I will check the websites posted to see what can I do about this. Thanks again.

Island Rose, I'm surprised that your insurance won't cover it if the prescription is for adult acne. Typically insurance will cover it for that, but not for "cosmetic" issues like wrinkles. So if your doctor is indicating in the prescription that it is for adult acne, it might be worth having your doctor follow up with the insurance company to find out why it is not being covered. Maybe your doctor has not noted that in the prescription?

You can order from NorthwestPharmacy.com which is located in Canada, and you can get a tube for only twenty dollars. Of course, there is shipping so it comes out to 29 dollars. I have been using Retin A and Renova since I was 39, and they work miracles. I also use vitamin C plus E plus Ferulic acid, but you have to watch that your skin does not get too dry.

I used to order from GetCanadiandrugs.com, but they closed. You need to fax them the script, send the payment, and it does not take that long to come. I hope this helps.

Hi Caitlin! How are you? Thanks for this info. I will try them out next time I need to refil my order.

I am good, and I just started working out again, so it is always hard. I am on the top floor of my condo building, and even with two AC's running, it is too warm to work out. The in September I get into a funk about my back pain, but eventually I have to start again. I mainly use Cathe and some Christi Taylor. I use renova every night, and a heavy moisturize and eye cream aftern.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.