for those of you who do a lot of high impact

psusoccer17

Cathlete
Please be careful of overworking your joints. I just turned 50 and was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of my knees and lower back. I have always used great form and never thought I was overtraining. I am very frustrated because even walking short distances hurts my knees. I was always able to keep up with cathe's cardios, never had to modify and now I won't be able to do the majority of them. I was really enjoying xtrain legs and CLB but my ortho said no lunging or deep squats. I am so frustrated that I will now have to modify all these w/o. So please be careful so you don't end up in my shoes, take your rest days and if something hurts take enough time off.

I have a bad right knee so understand what you are saying. I modify just about everything and still get a great workout so don't give up yet:) Try some modifications.:)

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and discomfort. The Low Impact Series is a good alternative to the high-impact workouts, and I've even learned some modifications to make to my high-impact workouts.

My Mom has had some relief with using ginger root extract for her arthritis. Here is a link to a page about it.

I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting.

Alisha

:( Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I can relate to your pain and frustration. I think it is extremely important to go easier on the high impact workouts once you are over the age of 50. I know it is that way for me. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Take care of yourself.

PSUsoccer,
Thanks for the reminder to listen to our bodies. I am sorry you have osteoarthritis. I think no matter what age we are, we need to be mindul of what our bodies are telling us.

Melissa

Please be careful of overworking your joints. I just turned 50 and was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of my knees and lower back. I have always used great form and never thought I was overtraining. I am very frustrated because even walking short distances hurts my knees. I was always able to keep up with cathe's cardios, never had to modify and now I won't be able to do the majority of them. I was really enjoying xtrain legs and CLB but my ortho said no lunging or deep squats. I am so frustrated that I will now have to modify all these w/o. So please be careful so you don't end up in my shoes, take your rest days and if something hurts take enough time off.

Wow, I could've written this post. I too just turned 50 in November. For years I pounded my body in my quest to be fit. I ran, did high impact and hardly ever rested. I now have very bad osteoarthritis in both knees. I've been through PT, but it has not really helped. The weird thing is that I can still workout and modify for impact, but walking even short distances has become excruciating. There are days when walking through the grocery store hurts. I have an appointment with an acupuncturist next week. I suspect the bone spurs on my knees and my refusal to back off have done permanent damage. I tell my daughter repeatedly to make sure she listens to her body. I'm so sorry that I didn't. I'm paying big time now.

Hmmmm this makes me think if I should modify my workouts

I just started xtrain and also love the To the Max workout. When you say high impact do you mean step aerobics?

I am so sorry to hear of your arthritis. I know how discouraging it is dealing with unhealthy joints and the impact on your daily life.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. So far my knees are ok (now my hands and wrists are another story!) I am turning 50 this year also. My hubby and I love to hike and backpack and I never want to jeapordize this activity ever.

Can you let me know what types of Cathe tapes or workouts that you feel contributed to your bad knees?

I am very sorry you had this diagnosis. I know what it's like to have to modify everything. My wrists always feel like crumbling if I attempt a pushup with handles.

I hope you can recover and get back to a normal soon. Thanks so much for sharing and caring!!

I think all the step aerobics, step is my favorite activity, jumping, and genetics all contributed to my arthritis. I will still do step once the inflammation subsides but will stop jumping and try to control the impulse to overdo it. I think all the lunging and squats didn't help either. My ortho said squatting is ok as long as it isn't a deep squat. Hopefully I will be able to resume most of my activities soon, it has been a month and I don't see any progress yet, I so miss my exercise!!

I just started xtrain and also love the To the Max workout. When you say high impact do you mean step aerobics?

I am so sorry to hear of your arthritis. I know how discouraging it is dealing with unhealthy joints and the impact on your daily life.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. So far my knees are ok (now my hands and wrists are another story!) I am turning 50 this year also. My hubby and I love to hike and backpack and I never want to jeapordize this activity ever.

Can you let me know what types of Cathe tapes or workouts that you feel contributed to your bad knees?

I am very sorry you had this diagnosis. I know what it's like to have to modify everything. My wrists always feel like crumbling if I attempt a pushup with handles.

I hope you can recover and get back to a normal soon. Thanks so much for sharing and caring!!

just a thought

I just watched a video on PBS with JJ Virgin, she said that her gluten intolerance created a lot of inflammation in her knees. I don't know if you have any gluten intolerance or if you have looked into that. JJ Virgin has written a book about the 7 foods to avoid, I don't know that I would need to avoid all of them myself, but I just thought I would pass this along.

I was recently diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my left hip and I'm 45. Found out I have low arches, which I'm sure doesn't help matters. I have discomfort in my left knee so not sure if that is stemming from the hip or the bad feet. I can relate completely. I'm still able to do some of my Cathe favs but I think my days of full step workouts are over. I modify where I need to and keep going. :)

Brenda

Instead of doing a regular lunge with both legs at a 90 degree angle, I kind of do a back lunge that's reallly a one-legged squat with the back leg pretty straight and my weight in my heel of the front leg. This takes the pressure off my poor old knees and I'm still able to do lots of workouts. I do not do tuck jumps and stuff like that. I think the LIS series really taught me a lot of modifications to substitute for high-impact moves in high impact workouts.

Hope you're better soon. Do you use cold to reduce the inflamation?

New to "The Melt Method"

Hi
I so understand your situation. I am 56 and have noticed that my knees are just starting to feel a twinge of pain just in the last few weeks. I have been doing Cathe since 1997. I have always modified when needed but to have the best optimal health I must listen to my body.
I am just learning all about the connective tissue inside our bodies. It is a world all it's own.
There is so much information in the first 4 chapters alone that I would encourage you to read the book for yourself. I have just begun to use a body roller twice each day for 10-15 minutes of light compression movements all over my body using the roller. If you go to youtube and search for "Sue Hitzmann ' or "The Melt Method" you will find enough info to make a decision. I am new to body rolling but have already felt a difference. HTH!

I relate - and the old "listen to your body" doesn't apply,because I for one didn't have any pain....until it abruptly started.

From 13 on doing the most dangerous gymnastics training, to dance theatre in HEELS,to step in the 80s on multiple risers, well, I'm pushing 52, and get looks on the beach from men in their 30's, have a heart that is strong, a b/p that is low and heart rate slow, maximum numbers on cholesterol (good stuff).....SO! I'm going to live to be 133 with some ouchies and wonks!

The lesson though- I've been a critical care nurse for 22 years....Arthritis is an exerciser is a different animal than in an obese diabetic.....osteo CAN BE managed.....its discipline (and you're here on a Cathe site, you are discipline gone amok).......AGE happens...no matter what...and should you require surgery - and for osteo - its the last ditch solution anymore -SO MUCH can be done if people will do the work with PT,gentle yoga, heat, ice, etc...

Exercising regularly and high impact over decades is NOT the norm in America!!!! And I assure you if THAT was our national problem it would be far less than the current one.

Yeah, at 46, jumping into Chatturanga - my shoulder was gone - long story short, no cartilage left in either arm....doc said he'd schedule pinning for the following week since both arms are unstable...I asked for Option B...he said, it would take obsessive work...then said, well ok, you'll do it....I went to one session of PT (insurance didn't cover the woman I wanted)...she gave me some adaptations and I changed how I lifted, stopped trying to run, and I didn't have surgery.

Sorry for the osteo - but it happens to people who don't exercise too - usually much EARLIER - and you are a machine and will find your way to cope with it....hell, you've done DOMS with Cathe for how long? Osteo won't get in your way....but I tell you what - as I do Tabata today on a now arthritic ankle (WTH?) I won't be jumping it!

Have a super day!

Hello, I also protect my knees so far no problems (and I'm going to be 55 this year!! Yikes) but I avoid anything high impact - definitely no tuck jumps or anything similar. But what has helped me is that I will use mini trampoline for exercises like high knees or anything that I feel may be too much on the knees. So I have my mini trampoline set up and when a high impact routine comes along, I jump on the mini trampoline and it takes of some of that impact to your knees. Also, like many of the other Cathletes that have commented here - Modify, Modify and Modify.

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis but don't give up, I'm sure you will find a way to modify some of those exercises and still get a great workout. Good luck to you.

Hello, I also protect my knees so far no problems (and I'm going to be 55 this year!! Yikes) but I avoid anything high impact - definitely no tuck jumps or anything similar. But what has helped me is that I will use mini trampoline for exercises like high knees or anything that I feel may be too much on the knees. So I have my mini trampoline set up and when a high impact routine comes along, I jump on the mini trampoline and it takes of some of that impact to your knees. Also, like many of the other Cathletes that have commented here - Modify, Modify and Modify.

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis but don't give up, I'm sure you will find a way to modify some of those exercises and still get a great workout. Good luck to you.

I LOVE my Jumpsport rebounder for high impact modifications! Tuck jumps are much MUCH easier on the joints (and more fun!) when done on the rebounder. Highly recommend!!

Thanks for mentioning the mini trampoline. I never thought about using one for the tuck jumps. I'll have to look into getting one soon.

I never thought about the mini trampoline either, and I have one! Thanks so much for mentioning it. :D I agree, Colleen. Way more fun! :D

My mother in law has osteoarthritis in her knees and lower back. She was told that it was because she wasn't active enough and she didn't have all the nutrients she needed and she has always ate healthy. She has always walked in the evenings but was told it wasn't enough. Now she tries to do Jillian Michael's workouts but she deals with a lot of pain so she isn't consistent. She is only 46 years old.

Maybe the true cause is diet. My science professor told us that how you ate all the way up into your early twenties sets you for life.

I never drank milk growing up and broke a couple of bones as a kid. I ate microwaved burritos growing up because my mom was to sick to do anything let alone cook. I was a sickly child due to poor nutrition. That is why I do research and watch my health meticulously.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.