? for Cathe about her ACL rehab

L

Lynda

Cathe, I remember you mentioned in one of your messages that you did a speeded up version of ACL rehab, and I wondered if you could describe what you did and how long it took. My 18 year old son is now doing ACL rehab (reconstructive surgery Feb. 19)and wants to try out as a goalkeeper in soccer in the fall when he begins attending college (He was a high school all state goalkeeper 2 years in a row, and was also a basketball star until he tore his ACL. As you might expect, college coaches have been very interested in him for both sports--but I hasten to add that he is a scholar-athlete headed for a Div. 3 liberal arts education, not someone depending on sports for admission to a good college.)

Hi Lynda,
I am not Cathe but I just wanted to let you know about my Fiance's experience with ACL surgery. (he torn his last year, playing basketball too)

He had the reconstruction on Sept. 11th last year (yes I know, what a day...he was in the operating room when it all happened! I got to sit in the waiting room watching it all on tv). He got a new ACL from a cadaver..is that what your son got?

Anyway, the doctor stressed to us the importance of a full recovery to avoid re-injuring of the knee. But my fiancee is 30, and I am sure your son's youth will help with his recovery.

By December, my fiancee was walking around just fine. In February, he started to add light jogging and now at the end of March, he is doing weight training for his legs again...just not back up to his full strength like before the operation...but he thinks it should be soon!

So the total recovery time for him was just about 7 months.
Assuming your son will recover a little quicker, hopefully by the 6 month mark he will be doing great! When are the tryouts? Probably August - he will be just in time!

Another site you can check out that has tons of info about this is: www.knee1.com - Check it out!

I wish your son a speedy recovery..Good luck!

Anne

Thanks, Anne!

My son is scheduled to start jogging in week 12, and he is already walking without a limp. He wants to be on the golf team again this year, so he is hoping that he will be able to do the walking, since they don't allow golf carts in high school. He has been doing exercises with 2 physical therapists, and one of them will be taking him down to the field in May to begin doing some plyometric moves. He HAS been getting an aggressive mode of therapy, I think, but I was really curious to hear from Cathe about how soon she felt back to normal. My son did a lot of upperbody weight work before the therapy, but he feels out of shape compared to his usual self.

Nope, not a cadaver, but a graft from another ligament.

Hi Lynda! Sorry to hear of your sons knee. Was it total or partial reconstruction?

I didn't really do a speeded up version of therapy I just had an aggressive surgeon and aggressive physical therapists who are used to working with professional athletes which need to get back on the field as soon as possible. I'm sure if your doctor and therapist know that your son is a competitive athlete they will push him harder. No matter how you slice it, this surgery takes time to heal and restore full blood flow back to the ligament. He does have youth on his side so hopefully he can be back in action within 6 months. Maybe sooner if it was only a partial reconstruction. Good Luck to him!

It was partial reconstruction, and he's doing really well. I am seeing the physical therapists for my own knee problems, and today one of them said that he had virtually all of his mobility back. I am curious, though--how long did it take for you to feel back to your pre-injured self?

Oh--and Anne, that knee1 site is really great. The threads make me feel confident that my son is not having any of the postoperative problems other people talk about.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.