for anyone inclined to answer a heart rate question

xxx_dana_xxx

Cathlete
even when i just do the lowmax step only premix my heart rate stays really high the whole time, like over 200 a LOT. ive been working out over a year with the firm and cathe and im in pretty good shape, though still a little overwieght, 5'7" 150lbs 35

i dont feel any discomfort or exhaustion, is this a problem?

thanks anyone :)

dana

A "high heart rate" is a totally relative thing. It is very likely that you have a high maximum heart rate (I do too). First thing's first - remember that old formula for calculating max HR? You know, 220 - your age? Well, throw it out the window and forget it every existed. ;) It's useless, and it's not even a ballpark estimate. People vary so widely on max HR, that there is really no good formula for calculating it. There are people who have max HR's higher than 220. Even as high as 260, or more. And there are people who have max HR's less than 170. Your max HR is genetically determined and everyone is different. It decreases somewhat with age, but the relationship is not linear, as the 220-age formula would impy. So... what is likely the case here is that you have a high max HR, so that when you exercise at a comfortable level, your heart rate seems high, but it's really not that high FOR YOU. You might find it worthwhile to determine your actual max HR by doing a hillclimb test on a treadmill, or having a stress test done in a lab. Then you can readjust your aerobic HR zones based on your actual max HR.

So, no, your "high" heart rate is most likely not a problem. You probably just have a high max heart rate. I do too. Does this make sense? Let me know if you have questions... :)

Researchers who recently published a new study in the Journal of American College of Cardiology have just recommended a change in MHR calculation which slightly increases the estimated MHR for some. The recommended calculation is 208 - (0.7 x age). The study showed that people do have widely varied MHRs but your reading is still fairly high for steady state work (this has nothing to do with the fact that your MHR may be on the high end)and it is staying high during the whole workout not just the intervals..it should be dropping during the lower intensity step work. Make sure your HRM has fresh batteries and that you are not using it near electrical equipment that may alter the readings. Also make sure that your HR drops at least 15 beats/min in the first minute of your cool down. As I said it should be dropping during the lower intensity step work too. An HR correlate of heart problems is a deficit in dropping HR appropriately post exercise and a deficit in HR dropping during lower intensity exercise.

You said your HR was constant while doing the step-only premix (no interval blasts). So, I would expect your HR to remain constant during this workout. I see no issues here.

Also, your max HR does affect your HR during exercise - if your MHR is high, your heart rate will be higher during aerobic training than it would be for someone with a lower MHR.

It is true that recovery rate is a good indicator of cardiovascular health. A 15bpm decrease during 1 minute of cooldown is a good recovery rate. Check this during your workouts.

If signal interference was to blame for the HRM readings, it would most likely appear as random spikes in the HR data, rather than consistently high or consistently low. Checking the battery on your HRM might not be a bad idea, but if you have had high results like this since you first got the HRM, I would not suspect the HRM, unless it's a manufacturing defect with the HRM. Try taking your pulse with your finger and compare it to your HRM reading - are they close?

I have used 208 - (0.7xage), but it is still not close to my actual MHR. Actually, it gives me a lower MHR than 220-age. None of the formulas are remotely accurate for me, even the gender-specific ones. The only way to know your MHR with any certainty is to take a stress test.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.