for any of the runners out there

bhall07

Hi...I am pretty new to Cathe and I am new to running. I have finally worked up to running for 30 minutes, but I am also doing Cathe's strength training videos at least twice a week. Right now, I have muscle endurace, which is pretty hard for me, so I have just ordered power hour and MIS. I have push pull and supersets also. My question is this...I was thinking of running 3 times a week like Monday, wednesday, and Friday and doing one of the videos on Tuesday and Thursday. I like to keep my weekends open for my kids and we are pretty active, i.e. bicycling, etc. Do you think it is too much on my legs to go 5 days straight?

I appreciate your advice:)

Beth

I would think that it may be too much running if anything. You may want to have a running week and then cross train the next or something like that. Cross training is so important for injury prevention and I know that runners are at risk of joint problems, etc. Of course, you could always build yourself up to 3 days a week (or more if you're training for something specific), but I would still cross train every other week or so depending on how your body reacts to the training.

JMO
Carolyn

ETA: I tried running 3xs a week when I first really started getting into cardio and ended up with TERRIBLE shin splints and a knee I couldn't fully straighten for over 2 weeks. Just make sure you follow the 10% rule (only add 10% more distance/time to your run a week) and I'm sure you'll be fine.:)

I do not think this is too much running, especially as you are putting a day's rest from impact work between runs. three times per week is completely acceptable. I just read an article in Runner's World stating that three runs per week are all that is needed. But: all three runs should be different in nature. make one na steady state cardio, another is an interval run, and the third can be a temp run or hill work. That way you are challenging your cardiovascular system and legs, building endurance and also avoiding the same impact on the joints at each workout. Read the article, very worthwhile. SOmething to work up to.

What I would say is, with three runs per week, you only need one lower body weights workout per week. I would do this on a separate day, either the Tues or Thurs, but preferably at the weekend, to be honest, to allow your legs time to rest again before another run. Saturday would be ideal. Then use the Tues and Thurs for some intense upper body weight training with cross training activities added in later on if you feel the need, like swimming, cycling, step, walking etc.

Best of luck,

Clare

I run three or four times a week. My schedule looks like this:

M - upper body
T - run (steady state or tempo)
W - lower body
T - run (intervals)
F - circuit workout
S - long run incorporating hills
S - rest (well, okay, I don't usually rest, but I do a short easy run or other light cardio)

It works well for me and I haven't encountered any joint issues.

Agreed with Clare! Running 3 times a week is fine - it's the basis for many shorter distance training plans (5K, 10K, even some half-marathon and marathon plans). I also like Clare's suggestions for when to work lower and upper body. Sounds like a good solid plan. :)

I agree with everyone else. I rest my legs when they feel fatigued and do an upper body workout instead but if they feel fine I see no reason why it wouldn't be okay.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate it. I will probably just work my legs on Saturday and my upper body tuesdays and thursday and then rest on Sunday. Does anyone have a specific Cathe video that just works legs that they would recommend? I have also heard of interval training but I am not sure what you mean by tempo. I am yet to use an incline, as I dont want to do anything to soon, but there is a program on my treadmill that is a fast walk and uses the incline that I can do.

Beth

My fave Cathe lower body workouts are Gym Style Legs, PLB and Leaner Legs. For runners, it's not about building big muscles, but muscles that can take the repeated action, endurance rather than incredible, all-out strength. That's why I favour these three lower body workouts. Also, the lower body workouts will help build quad strength which protects the knees. It will also help counterbalance the tendency among runners to develop strong, tight hamstrings as opposed to balanced leg strength, equal strength front and back that Cathe should give you since she favours front leg work over back.

Clare

Just be sure to listen to your body. When I run too much I get overuse injuries. I can only run 1 or 2 days a week now. The other days I do kickbox or step and strength. As long as your body feels ok, I say go for it.
LD

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.