Foot Pain

mamajoy

Hello, my feet are killing me! They ache all over :( I have what feels like a bone spur at the base of my big toe and am pretty sure that it is hallux rigidus but without a Dr. I can't be sure and the arches ache in both feet.

I have always had problems with my feet because of being pigeon toed and having very high arches, but they are getting worse, and I am not sure what to do. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a podiatrist at the moment (hopefully in a few months I can see one in Singapore) and am looking for home remedies that may help alleviate and soothe the pain of my feet. I think my husband is tired of rubbing them :)

Things I have tried:
Massage
wrapping the toe
stretching
new shoes

The only relief I have gotten is when I stopped working out all together for a few weeks. I am not excessive in my workouts but I do workout often and I love to run and do plyo. I am currently on tile floors and I know I need some mats and maybe some indoor shoes to wear around the house instead of always being barefoot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joy

Hello, my feet are killing me! They ache all over :( I have what feels like a bone spur at the base of my big toe and am pretty sure that it is hallux rigidus but without a Dr. I can't be sure and the arches ache in both feet.

I have always had problems with my feet because of being pigeon toed and having very high arches, but they are getting worse, and I am not sure what to do. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a podiatrist at the moment (hopefully in a few months I can see one in Singapore) and am looking for home remedies that may help alleviate and soothe the pain of my feet. I think my husband is tired of rubbing them :)

Things I have tried:
Massage
wrapping the toe
stretching
new shoes

The only relief I have gotten is when I stopped working out all together for a few weeks. I am not excessive in my workouts but I do workout often and I love to run and do plyo. I am currently on tile floors and I know I need some mats and maybe some indoor shoes to wear around the house instead of always being barefoot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joy
Joy, your post mentioned you got new shoes but are you sure these shoes fit your arch correctly? The foot should always be measured when you are sitting, when your arch is in the rested position. When a person stands on the branick device the arch will expand and this could cause discomfort and strain. This is especially important for a person with high arches. So many big box stores and chains do not train their employees in proper fitting of footwear. Along with this many manufacturers vary in the fit of their shoes. I would try to find a reputable store that has the knowledge to fit you correctly and give you the proper support. You are not alone, I estimate 6 out of 10 people are wearing incorrect shoe size. This used to be our business. Hope my advise helps. Kat

Don't walk around barefoot in your house. especially on tile floors. I had a flair-up of plantar fasciitis a few years ago and wearing shoes made a huge difference. It's good now, but I usually at least wear slippers. I also invested in a pair of yoga toes to help stretch my feet.

Lisa

I have hallux rigidus. a real pain!. an xray showed it clearly. I don't have a "joint" there anymore. . the first thing my orthopod said was to wear 'rigid' shoes like Dansko. I find stiff shoes very VERY uncomfortable but I do now wear running shoes in the house instead of slippers. I will eventually get it fixed surgically but not until it becomes a bigger issue than it is right now.

I had a really bad case of PF/heal spur last year, I had a total of 3 cortisone shots . couldn't do anything for over a year. Stop doing high impact workouts. You can buy good insoles for your shoes. I would recommend you see a good a podiatrist. My problem wasn't my shoes it was all the high impact workout I did. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all for the replies. I love the look of those yoga toes! I will be getting shoes for indoors and setting up an appointment with a podiatrist as soon as I can leave the country. I had my shoes fitted a few years ago and that was how I got rid of PF and my heel spur, but alas, my feet are destined to have problems because of how they were created. I think just plain old stretching might help too, so I will be trying to do more extended stretching after working out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.