Flossing Your Teeth: I wanna know

I was a "only when I remember" flosser a few years ago.

And then, 3 years ago, I made a New Year's Resolution to floss EVERY day. And I DID!!! Like the ONLY NY's Resolution I ever kept. EVERY day I did it!

Now it's a good habit, that's hard to break!

I grew up not flossing either. In fact before I would go to the dentist DM would tell me to tell the dentist that we didn't floss. About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to get in the habit. Let me tell you there were a lot of fits and starts, trying, forgetting, being too exhausted to care, insert any excuse here. I noticed about 6 months ago that I was flossing every day. And if I had the conscious thought that I was running late or tired and didn't want to floss I felt so guilty that I took the time and flossed anyway. Now I am a regular flosser. I went to the dentist last month and both the dentist and the hygienest remarked several times how good my scores are for gum health. Score one for persistance on developing a good habit. I know if you can develop the other great habits you have, you can become a flosser.

Shayne

I have not always been a great flosser but I found a trick to daily flossing last year. I buy those little disposable flossing tools with the toothpick on one end and the piece of floss on the other. I keep them in a cup next to my toothbrush. It has helped me make a habit to floss before I brush.

I had to do this because many of our family is aging and have told me of the many dental problems which come from age and not flossing/brushing correctly. It scared me straight. I think 37 is a little young for dentures. :)

In reply to Stacey's Navy experience:

Stacey! I remember that being a former squid! It was a very enlightening as well as gross experience! :)

In reply to Stacey's Navy experience:

Stacey! I remember that being a former squid! It was a very enlightening as well as gross experience! :)

Too funny. I thought they only did that at NTC San Diego.

I remember the hygienist asking how often everyone flosses and the one old sea dog responding "Once a year. When I come HERE." All those old guys laughed and laughed, like that was the funniest thing... The hygienist just narrowed her eyes. They also made us look at a lot of slides of the mouths of new recruits who'd never taken care of their teeth. Did they do that to you guys, too?

think of it this way

Only floss the teeth you want to keep. And, not flossing makes you fat.

(I don't actually know that but you wanted a motivation right? so now you have one.)

Yeah I remember the fright films. I saw more STD fright films than those though. Every time we were scheduled to move overseas or pull into port! I have to say that those films definitely scared me straight especially the wart ones...UGH! The commercial for that genital wart stuff which is running on tv brings back a RUSH of memories of the safe sex Navy videos...EEEWWWW!

I am an avid flosser. Cannot fall asleep at night until that "ritual" has been completed! It's just become part of my routine now for 10 years...I don't think twice about it!

Oral Hygiene 101 (Forgive my soapbox lecture!)

Keep flossing, everybody! I've spent 28 years as a dental hygienist and in our office we educate our patients about the two main causes of periodontal disease: smoking and diabetes. Some men that have served in Viet Nam are also afflicted, perhaps from chemicals used there.

Smoking ruins the capillaries in your gums, and leads to bone loss and subsequently the loss of your teeth. A diabetic can suffer from gum problems simply due to their lessened ability to fight infection.

Flossing certainly helps to keep your gums and teeth healthy, but limit pop, sweets and DON'T SMOKE! This will also keep cavities at bay. Genetics does play a role, but I have found it does so mostly about how much/little tartar you accumulate on your teeth-Lots of tartar;more of a possibility of gum probs-less tartar; more of a possibility decay is your nemesis.

If your teeth are moving and you smoke, take heed--it could be a serious periodontal problem rearing its ugly head!!

OK-off soapbox now!

Doreen

Missy - Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to become a flosser now. Although I had braces and never got wisdom teeth, my teeth are close together in the back and make it really hard to floss. But I'm gonna do it. I usually only do it for about a week every six months before I go to the dentist. My DH never does. I tell him he needs to do it before he goes to the dentist. He says that's their job. Haha.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.