Flossing Your Teeth: I wanna know

I don't mind flossing now that I use the Reach flosser with disposable floss heads. Much easier than dental floss which would always get caught & fray between my tight teeth. There is a lot of junk between your teeth that your brush can't reach and its kinda gross to leave it there:confused:

JJ

I have always hated going to the dentist because everytime I went there was something majorly wrong no matter how much I brushed or flossed. In the last couple of year I have spent thousands of dollars on my teeth. I had a bridge put in on the bottom and 6 veneers up top. My teeth are perfect now and I am completely anal about brushing, flossing, and getting check up regularly.

A few years ago I started getting food stuck in my teeth ALL the time, like I can soup stuck in my teeth. So that essentially made me start flossing, I just use the opportunity to get all of my teeth flossed, not just the teeth with stuck food.

Flossing

I have a sectional couch where one chair back folds down as a table and I keep my floss there. Then every night, yes, EVERY night, I brush my teeth during one of the commericials right before I go to bed, then the last few minutes of the show I floss.

I used to keep floss at work because I'm always there and sitting...but I find I forget there too!

Sometimes it's just because it's hard to start a habit that you don't do it...but it's usually not as hard to quit one though!

I have a sectional couch where one chair back folds down as a table and I keep my floss there. Then every night, yes, EVERY night, I brush my teeth during one of the commericials right before I go to bed, then the last few minutes of the show I floss.

Oh me too me too! Actually I keep it in a drawer in my coffee table. And I floss before I brush. ;)

Ellie, you sound like me--I swear, I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night if I didn't floss that day. :eek:

Brushing does almost nothing for your teeth. It'll clean the surfaces front & back, but most cavities & such are caused by acid produced by food stuck in between your teeth. And if you're only brushing, I suspect you might brush too hard to make up for not flossing, in which case you're wearing out the enamel on your teeth, not to mention damaging your gums.

I'm pretty habitual about flossing.. I do it every night.

I think once you get in the habit you get used to having your teeth and mouth feel cleaner so you are more apt to do it. If I don't floss, I obsess about the gunk that might be stuck between my teeth and can get myself kind of grossed out.

If you can get in the habit, maybe the "clean" factor will encourage you to continue.

Lynn M.

When I get up in the morning, I will not eat anything until I floss. I feel that the bacteria (plaque) has been building up over night, and if I eat anything, I will swallow the bacteria with my food. So, the first thing I do is brush and then floss. When you floss correctly, you can see the plaque that comes off on the floss. Do you really want to swallow that with your oatmeal? :eek: I'm thinking not.

That's my motivation. Well, you asked. ;)

Last edited:
I wasn't always a diligent flosser, but I've become one. If you want to make it a habit, buy a bunch of containers of floss and keep them everywhere (home, desk at work, car, purse)...that way you have a better chance of doing it at least once a day.

I can't stand NOT flossing now...along with what others have posted regarding health problems, I think it also contributes to bad breath...and nobody wants to have bad breath. ;)
This is exactly what I do. I keep floss in the drawers of my end tables and I usually floss after dinner while I'm watching TV. I also keep it in my purse and car. I can't stand it if I have food stuck between my teeth. I have no choice but to be meticulous with my oral care. I have oral lichen planus and the best way to prevent flare ups is to keep my mouth very clean. Anyone else have LP? It's such a drag. :(

If I'm not mistaken, gum infections can also spread to the brain which is very bad news.

ETA that I actually floss after every meal. ;)

Last edited:
well I'm another non-flosser but I try to force myself to about once a week. I keep trying to get into the habit. I don't know why I find it so annoying. I brush my teeth atleast twice a day. I haven't had a cavity since I was a kid and I always get glowing reports from my dentist who says it looks like Itake excellent care of my teeth. (I don't mention how often I floss) I floss a day or two before my appts. My DH is the flossaholic. Seriously he has issues. He takes forever to floss and it annoys me. Maybe thats why I don't like flossing. He uses the string I like the individual use ones with the handles. (if you can say like) lol.
Its funny cause once DH was getting on me about it and at his appt he had a cavity. Mr floss daily and brush like a maniac while I don't get so strict about it and had NO cavities at my appt after his. :p

When I was in the Navy they used to make us go to a dental hygiene thing once a year. We all sat around at a "C" shaped table with a bunch of oral hygiene stuff and got a lecture by a mature dental hygienist on a mission. At one point she told everyone to floss and then to hold onto their used floss when done. When everyone was done she said "Now, take the floss, put it up to your nose... and SMELL.... THAT'S WHAT YOUR BREATH SMELLS LIKE." Judging by some of the freaked expressions on the faces of those old sea dogs I think she made her point.

When I was in the Navy they used to make us go to a dental hygiene thing once a year. We all sat around at a "C" shaped table with a bunch of oral hygiene stuff and got a lecture by a mature dental hygienist on a mission. At one point she told everyone to floss and then to hold onto their used floss when done. When everyone was done she said "Now, take the floss, put it up to your nose... and SMELL.... THAT'S WHAT YOUR BREATH SMELLS LIKE." Judging by some of the freaked expressions on the faces of those old sea dogs I think she made her point.
Ew. But thanks, I really needed that!

Missy

I floss all the time too..I even buy those plastic toothpicks with the little brush on the ends!

I have my teeth cleaned by a hygienist every 4 months. I was there yesterday and we were discussing flossing. She said there were studies out that indicated you'd add 3 to 5 years to your life if you were a regular flosser. I don't know about the validity of that, but I will tell you that my grandmother (who died in the early 90s) had her own teeth at age 96, but an infection of one of her teeth is what killed her. Makes you think.

well you've all convinced me to floss more. ;)
I'm wondering though if it has something to do with how spaced your teeth are? I had like 4 taken out before braces due to crowding then my wisdom teeth on top of that. So even though they seem well together they are not CRAMMED together anymore. I can't even imagine having that many more teeth fit in my mouth.

From what I understand, it has to do with your gum health. When you floss you remove the bacteria and plaque that gathers beneath the gum line. If that bacteria stays there, it can migrate to other areas of your body. I would imagine the only thing less crowded teeth would make a difference in would be how easily the floss slides between them.

I have permanent retainer wires cemented on the inside backs of my upper and lower front 4 teeth. I had braces as an adult, and didn't want those teeth moving back to their previous positions. I have to tell you, it makes flossing quite a challenge!

Last edited:

I was just about to post "floss your teeth and smell that floss" -- that is enough to make me want to floss every day! I brush at night, then floss, then brush again (to get rid of all the gunk), then rinse w/flouride! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.