Floor Imax?

Nadja Z

Cathlete
I love the intensity of your strength training workouts, as they're the only ones truly tough enough to get me results. You're the reason I went from loathing exercise to loving it. I would love to get that same level of intensity in a cardio workout, however my problematic knees prevent me from using a step. I'm only 22, but they are bad enough that as soon as I start stepping I feel it in my knees immediately. I'm all about feeling the burn, but not that kind! :7 I have KPC (love it!!) which is the first workout I've found that can really make me sweat without blowing out my knee and sidelining me for weeks.

My question is: Do you plan on ever putting out any floor aerobics workouts? It's quite sad reading the Imax, Bodymax, etc. reviews on Collage and knowing I can't play with the other kids :-( I'm waiting for KickMax in the mail, but any more floor cardio or kickboxing you come up with will find a good home with me!

P.S. I'm this close to naming my children Butts and Guts. Love it! It is literally THE ONLY lower body workout that's tough enough on my muscles and easy enough on my knees (Legs & Glutes was not so kind to me). So when's Butts & Guts Two??? I'll be waiting :)

Thank you!
-Nadja

Welcome, Nadja. I'm not Cathe obviously, but I wanted to ask real quick...is there a pre-existing condition related to your knee problems, or are you just having knee trouble with the Cathe workouts?

Why not do it with out the step...I know someone who does that. She has all the same workouts I do...just not the step for the same reason as you...just a thought.

That is a great idea, it never even occurred to me. I think I'll try it out! I've been planning on investing in a heart rate monitor for awhile now, so maybe I'll get one along with one of her step videos and see how intense it is without the step. I'll post back on how it goes. Thanks!

They've always just been extremely weak, along with my ankles. A couple times a year I end up with what feels like severe arthritis (probably due to an autoimmune condition; my mom gets occasional hormone-induced arthritis). Those bouts I know aren't the result of any exercise related strain.

In the case of exercise related strain, it's definitely not Cathe's workouts in particular, but it is specific to any workout involving a step. For example, I can do Butts & Guts no problem, even with all the lunging and squatting, since there's very light weights and no step. However, after trying the Legs & Glutes workout for the first time, I was in a knee brace and unable to work out for two weeks, due to the step and the heavier weights (not Cathe's fault :) I knew it was "bad pain" but foolishly did the whole thing)

It is so frustrating when you would loooove to challenge yourself but can't because of a joint limitation. There really isn't a market for the sort of workout I need, since the workouts for people with bad knees are generally of the "Sit & Be Fit" variety, and the really intense ones usually involve stepping. Kickboxing I've found to be a good balance, but I just wish Cathe had more of them since I find her demeanor to be the most pleasant and motivating (I can't handle whooping or 20 backup people) and her form and cueing the most professional. I did just find Cardio Kicks so I will definitely be ordering that soon.

Thanks for the fast responses!

I'd also recommend you check out Kick Max. What I would consider the intensity blasts are grouped together at the end of the kickboxing, but they are super tough. I think it's chaptered into 2 5-min segments, so you can play around a bit for what you can do.

LOL, I love the step on the floor idea... I'd need masking tape to mark where the step should go, though!! :)

I just found in another thread that some people use the BOSU instead of the step. I'll have to see how my knees feel about one of those. Apparently I don't have to worry about it not being hard enough :7

Nadia, the BOSU is about 9 inches high so please be careful! I think your knees would be OK with it but it may be a bit too hard on your ankles. Can you borrow one to try out before investing in one? I'd let you borrow mine if you lived close by! (I'm in WA state.) Tracy

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with one- I'm in the middle of Lake Superior so it'd be quite a drive to WA! Thanks, though :) I'd have to get one from Collage or someone else with a good return policy. I was thinking though...

How fantastic would it be if BOSU and a regular step had a baby?

The shape of a step and adjustable with risers, but inflatable. I think that would benefit everybody. Even people with beautiful knee bursa probably start to feel something after a few decades of stepping.

I did LowMax with a BOSu instead of a step and I hurt for DAYS from my hips to my ankles, and not a good hurt. I almost went to the Dr. Was about a week and half before I felt normal. So, I wouldn't recommend any of the IMAXes on the BOSU. Just thinking about it makes me hurt!! I have bad knees and the step doesn't bother them most days, but the BOSU - owie!!!

Nan

Hi Nadia and All

I have an issue with my left knee. I have two cysts in it and about a month ago had an arthroscopy and some of my knee cap shaved off. (Sorry if you having lunch lol).

Anyways I love Cathes workouts, nobody else compares. But I understand your problems. I'm hoping to get back into working out this week. I've been doing a little yoga, although I'm only a beginner.

I've tried to do some of the step workouts on the floor instead of the step and its a good idea. You can still get the intensity up without putting too much pressure on the knees. I did Low Intensity Step and High Intensity Step from the 4DS on the floor and it was quite good. I also have a bosu, but I personally don't like the instability I feel with my leg stepping on and off the bosu. I'm sticking with the floor for the present time.

Also I'm trying to think of ways of working my lower body. The only way I can think of is the floor sections of Butts & Gutts, Pyramid Lower and Gym styles Legs. I wish I knew a way of working my quads which didn't involve leg press on the high step and lunges. Squats seem okay and plie squats are fine. But I'm a little scared to try anything more strenuous yet.

I was thinking it would be good to have a Knee Issues Checkin on the checkins & challenges thread. There seems to be a few of us Catheites with knee issues. We could find ways of modifying a rotation or something.

Anyways sorry for the long post and take care.

Laura
:)

Oh dear, thanks for the warning! I think I'll put that idea on the shelf for a while, since I can't even handle a step. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the floor workout info, I'll have to decide on a step dvd to order, already I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Those front leg extensions with ankle weights from Legs & Glutes isolate the quads really well (not sure if they're in the other dvds you mentioned). They seem like they'd either be really good or really bad for your knees. Haha, that sounded helpful. :p

The Checkin idea sounds great. I was also thinking that (oops) maybe this thread should've gone into the 'Suggestions' section. I might repost there, along with a request for an all-floorwork/ankle weight lower body video.

I also have ooccasional knee issues, the step does not bother mine most of the time. When they do start acting up I take it easy until it feels better. I have also done IMAX3 on floor when need be.

Not a dr by any means but I personally would not recommend the BOSU if you have knee problems. I looked into one & called Collage Video & spoke with someone about one & they too said they wouldn't recommend one for a person with knee problems.

Good luck ~
Tami

I think you can get step mats for use on floor. I don't know where you get them (I'm in the UK) but I think I've read other posts about these - perhaps someone else will know. Also, I think I remember reading that in Tracey Staehle's new steady state step DVD that she's doing, someone is going to use a step mat on the floor.

Can you do Hi Lo?

Emma

I tried a Rob Glick hi-lo. No knee trouble, but I just couldn't connect with his style. I've been thinking about trying out Amy Bento's. I feel like a little kid- "but Mommmmm, I want a Caaathe hi lo". That step mat sounds intriguing though. Methinks I'll have to google it. Thanks :)

No problem! I love Amy's newest CIA Hi Lo Knockout. It is hard work but really good fun and the music's great - she has clips at her website. She's really got me back into Hi Lo!

Emma

I tore my ACL in 2006 and had 3 surgeries that year before achieving a successful reconstruction.

The BOSU was used extensively in my physical therapy and I bought one for home too. I'm not sure if I would use it for stepping, but it is great for lunges and squats. When you turn it over it is awesome to use the platform for balance work. The unstable environment really promotes using all the muscles around your knee which ultimately makes your knee feel more stable...at least after 3 surgeries:)

Just my .02!

Cassie

P.S. Thanks for the idea of doing IMAX3 on the floor. I've been afraid of it ever since my injury:(

I tore my ACL in 2006 and had 3 surgeries that year before achieving a successful reconstruction.

The BOSU was used extensively in my physical therapy and I bought one for home too. I'm not sure if I would use it for stepping, but it is great for lunges and squats. When you turn it over it is awesome to use the platform for balance work. The unstable environment really promotes using all the muscles around your knee which ultimately makes your knee feel more stable...at least after 3 surgeries:)

Just my .02!

Cassie

P.S. Thanks for the idea of doing IMAX3 on the floor. I've been afraid of it ever since my injury:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.