Fitness Games for Kids

Jazcam

Cathlete
This year I'm the fitness coach in my Girl Scout troop.

Does anyone have a fitness game to play with young girls? Or any fitness related idea to teach girls ages 4-8.

We already play red-light green-light, freeze tag, Simon says and Marco-polo.

Robin,

Super Human Dodge Ball (using soft foam Nerf balls) is a lot of fun. You split the group into two teams, who stand on opposite sides of the room. When the game starts, you try to get members of the other team out by hitting them with the ball. Those who get out sit on the sidelines in the order in which they were out. If someone catches a ball, though, the thrower from the opposite team is out and someone on your team can come back in. The game ends when everybody on a team is out.

How about jump rope competitions and relay races?

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

"Freeze dance" is hugely popular with that age group. Start the music and stop it randomly; if anyone moves after the music stops, they are "out."

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Do you have anything you can use to set up an obstacle course? My DD loves those. Anything will do, pillows to hop around, broomsticks to jump over, things to crawl under or through...

I would agree with the obstacle course. I teach a fitness class for school age children and one for toddlers. Both groups love the part of the class involving the obstacle course. Good luck! Have fun..

I just got my new issue of family fun magazine and they had some good ideas for some games, and they have dozens of others on their website.
Here are the five they listed in their most recent publication:

1 Kick the Cow:

You'll need 4 teams of one of more players, an empty half-gallon milk or juice carton for the ball, duct tape, and permanent marker.

Cover the outside of the carton with duct tape to reinforce it, then number the sides 1 through 4. Set up 4 goals, one on each side of a roughly 30 by 30 foot square. Have each team roll the carton- the highest number goes first.

As in soccer, each team defends its goal while shooting at another team's but in this version there are three other teams and three other goals to aim for. When an tam scores, the number facing up on the carton is added to its point total and deducted from teh defending team's total (negative totals are inevitable). The team that let in the goal kicks off at center field. The first team to 12 points wins.

2. Beanbag Basketball

You'll need a beanbag and two buckets.

Place the buckets 20 feet apart. Divide the kids into 2 teams and flip a coin to see who gets the beanbag first.

Each team tries to shoot the beanbag into the other team's bucket for a point. Players cannot move with the beanbag, but instead advance it by passing it to a teammate. The defending players can intercept passes but can't touch their opponents or grab the beanbag from their hands. If the beanbag is dropped or intercepted, the defending team takes over from that spot. After a basket, play starts again at mid court. The first team to 10 points wins.

3. http://familyfun.go.com/games/indoor-outdoor-games/game/famfgam_ddfrisbee/

4. Box-Pong
You'll need a rubber playground ball and chalk.

Mark a court using 2 adjacent sidewalk squares or chalk the squares on pavement, each roughly 3 by 3 feet and sharing a side. Have players stand behind their squares, and flip a coin to see who serves first.

The server bounces the ball into her opponent's square using only on hand and without stepping into her own square. Players continue to use one hand to hit the ball back and forth between boxes. If a player fails to return a shot into her opponent's box, steps inside of her own square, or touches the ball with both hands, the other player gets a point and the next serve. The first player to 21 points wins.

5. Tug for Two

You'll need two old towels and a rope at least 8 feet long and knotted at both ends.

Place the towels on the ground, about 4 feet apart. Each player stands on a towel and holds onto a rope knot.

Kids battle it out in tug-of-war, trying to pull their opponent off his towel. After one round, increase the challenge with silly variations, such as balancing on one leg. using only one arm, or pulling each other from a seated position. The best of 5 rounds wins the game.

Hope that gives you some fun ideas!

Lindzebird

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.