fitness freak - question about cardio amount

fargomom

Cathlete
Hi Debbie. I appreciate the advice and support you offer us here. :)

I have a quick question regarding amount of cardio. I know cardio isn't the be all end all, but I find it hard to only do 3 days a week, as you suggested in the Jan rotation (and other past rotations). In other words, I feel as a endo with meso tendencies, that I wld benefit from doing more cardio. Am I wrong? And why? (I think you may have answered this in the past, but I'm sorry, I can't remember what you said).

I love how you explain things. It makes it easy to understand. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you. :)

Lifting weights raises the metabolism higher then cardio does. In turn, that burns more calories. BUT... you have to push yourself with weight training to get those gains. You can't do bicep curls with 5# dumbbells with each workout, you have to raise them with each workout. Your metabolism and fat burning capabilities stay high during the day after you weight train because your body is busy trying to fix itself. So that makes the metabolism work harder.

If you feel like you aren't getting enough cardio, add in a half hour maybe once more during the week. I just feel that if you give it your all with each weight training session, cardio is just icing on the cake.

Lifting weights raises the metabolism higher then cardio does. In turn, that burns more calories. BUT... you have to push yourself with weight training to get those gains. You can't do bicep curls with 5# dumbbells with each workout, you have to raise them with each workout. Your metabolism and fat burning capabilities stay high during the day after you weight train because your body is busy trying to fix itself. So that makes the metabolism work harder.

If you feel like you aren't getting enough cardio, add in a half hour maybe once more during the week. I just feel that if you give it your all with each weight training session, cardio is just icing on the cake.

Thank you for explaining that. Right now I'm doing a generic rotation of my own design, using Cathe's dvds, and it looks like this:

Sun - off
Mon - kickboxing
Tues - lower body weights, abs
Wed - run 3 miles at gym, BM2 upper body for 20 mins
Thurs - cardio step, abs
Fri - total body weights, run 3 miles at gym
Sat - elliptical at gym or cardio step, abs

Too much? I'm assuming for cardio, yes. Haha. I'm trying to keep up my running for a 5K I'm running in May, hence the treadmill runs at the gym. I'm also trying to LOSE 8 POUNDS that have crept back on. Ok, Ok, they didn't just creep back on. :eek: They found their way back on through a lot of emotional eating. So, I really need to shed body fat. I can tone up pretty quickly. I see tone from what I have been doing lately, it's just covered in fat. Hence my meso-endo body type. The other reason I've been doing the above rotation is that is what worked for me this summer when I was able to lose the last of my pregnancy weight. Now I need to lose that weight all over again - doh!

Any thoughts? I appreciate it. :)

Thank you for explaining that. Right now I'm doing a generic rotation of my own design, using Cathe's dvds, and it looks like this:

Sun - off
Mon - kickboxing
Tues - lower body weights, abs
Wed - run 3 miles at gym, BM2 upper body for 20 mins
Thurs - cardio step, abs
Fri - total body weights, run 3 miles at gym
Sat - elliptical at gym or cardio step, abs

Too much? I'm assuming for cardio, yes. Haha. I'm trying to keep up my running for a 5K I'm running in May, hence the treadmill runs at the gym. I'm also trying to LOSE 8 POUNDS that have crept back on. Ok, Ok, they didn't just creep back on. :eek: They found their way back on through a lot of emotional eating. So, I really need to shed body fat. I can tone up pretty quickly. I see tone from what I have been doing lately, it's just covered in fat. Hence my meso-endo body type. The other reason I've been doing the above rotation is that is what worked for me this summer when I was able to lose the last of my pregnancy weight. Now I need to lose that weight all over again - doh!

Any thoughts? I appreciate it. :)

Well, I personally think this is too much cardio. I think you need to put another upper body workout in there, like PUB. But other then that, for your goals it looks ok. Just see how your body responds to that much cardio. It may get you to where you want to go.

Less cardio

Debbi, I hate cardio but I know I need some, How much do I have to do weekly to lose wt. I love doing cathe's wt. routines but dread the cardio. I have an eliptical but find it hurts my feet more than anything from the angle the feet fit in. I do it but, only for 5 to 15 mins. at a time. been thinking about investing a stationary bike. Thanks Brenda

Thanks Debbie. I'll tweak my rotation per your suggestions. I admit eating clean, since falling off my wagon, has been my biggest problem. I've been doing well the past few days so hopefully I can keep that up. Coupled with this rotation, I'm hopeful I'll be able to kick those extra pounds. Appreciate your insight!

One question, and perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but when I do get to my goal, what sort of rotation do you suggest I do to maintain? One with the gym styles (3 days of that) and then 3 days of cardio? Or do you have other ideas? I know I'll be ready to try something new once I reach my goal.

Thanks Debbie. I'll tweak my rotation per your suggestions. I admit eating clean, since falling off my wagon, has been my biggest problem. I've been doing well the past few days so hopefully I can keep that up. Coupled with this rotation, I'm hopeful I'll be able to kick those extra pounds. Appreciate your insight!

One question, and perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but when I do get to my goal, what sort of rotation do you suggest I do to maintain? One with the gym styles (3 days of that) and then 3 days of cardio? Or do you have other ideas? I know I'll be ready to try something new once I reach my goal.

Yes, I would suggest a split rotation like this. GS gives you the weight training you need and three days of cardio is plenty.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.