Fish Fry Dilemma

My husband is great and very supportive. Of course he would say something to his family if I asked him to--but that's the whole point of my problem. I don't want to make a big deal out of it!! I just want to blend in! I hate it when my daily diet becomes the topic of other poeple's conversations when I'm sitting right there!!!

Just to add a bit to my last response: maybe this will help you understand why I get so embarrassed! When I was away at college a couple of years ago, I had an older lady come up to me while I was in line at the grocery store and actually start digging through my basket! She just said, "I just have to see what all you eat to stay so trim." I almost died!! It was such an uncomfortable thing--me just standing there while this lady dug through my basket and asked me questions! I was so shocked, I couldn't even point out to her that she was being a little bit rude.
This kind of thing happens to me all of the time--I think that's why I have a bit of a phobia about people making a big deal out of what I eat.

I saw on a Dateline show once that the people in France have the lowest obesity rate in the world. They also eat the greasiest, fattiest foods. The reason for this is because they serve such small portions. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating at your family's fish fry as long as you just put a little on your plate of everything you like. Moderation is really the key for me.

Good luck!!!

Ashley - that happens to a lot of people who are physically fit through their own efforts, both in terms of nutritional habits and exercise habits. And again, people are incredibly crass and rude in their intrusive questions and comments.

Of course, if you ever respond to questions/comments on how you stay so trim with any reference to exercise, just watch how weird the conversation gets. It's like you're talking a foreign (and vaguely distasteful) language to them. I'm sure you've experienced that too.

A possible response to the Food-Inquisition types could be, "I'm glad SOMEONE finds my food habits interesting because I sure don't."

Can you tell I'm in a porcupine mood this a.m.?

}(

A-Jock

Ashley...

Hi Ashley,
I just got back from a trip to Branson (I'm from Minnestoa) and we drove down to Harrison, Arkansas for a day. There was a Crawfish Boil going on in Harrison. Is that near you? I tried one little crawfish but I didn't care for it. Beautiful area down there. I found people to be very friendly. And, it was so nice to be warm for a few days.

Joanne

RE: Ashley...

Hi Joanne! I believe that Harrison, AR is south of me. I'm actually from North Little Rock. Seafood boils are a lot of fun--even though i personally don't eat the crawfish. Anything referred to as a "mud bug" is not going to be at the top of my food list! Even though the vegetables at a boil are typically starchy ones (potatoes and corn) at least they're healthier than a bunch of fried junk! Hope you enjoyed your visit to our lovely state!

Egad...looking at that menu makes my stomach curdle. What is it, 60% fat? And bad, saturated fat/triglicerides at that.

I'm for the direct approach. It may be uncomfortable at first, but things should eventually settle in. Just focus on the social aspect of the dinners rather than the food. This is a tough situation, as food means so many things to people besides nourishment. Rejecting someone's food offering can be perceived as a rejection of them. Make sure that your MIL knows you enjoy the company and her efforts.

I like the suggestion to ask her to keep some fish out to the side so you can prepare it in a different way.

You say that when they noticed when you brought a healthy side dish and ate mostly that, it just seemed rude. Sounds like you thought it might seem rude to them. Maybe they didn't notice it as much?

Though the cholesterol ruse seems to be an easier way out, IMO it gives the wrong message. If you eat healthfully and exercise, why would you have a problem with cholesterol? When your dinner companions start talking about their elevated cholesterol (which they will more likely than not have if they eat like this often), you can be an example of someone who has healthy cholesterol, partly because of your eating habits.

Having the same dinner every week sounds rather boring in the first place. Could you suggest an alternative dinner, and help prepare it, or prepare it completely? Just a thought. At least if you change the "every week at the in-laws" to "every other week at the in-laws" and "every other week at our place," you can be assured of a healthy meal 1/2 of the time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.