First Impression: Supersets/Push Pull

UnstrungHarp

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

I have recently been in the habit of spending way too much money on Cathe's workouts. :) Every time I buy one, I say to myself, "This is it, at least for a few months!" Then I buy another one within a couple weeks.

Anyway, I just received Supersets/Push Pull a few days ago...I admit I bought it on eBay instead of Cathe.com, but that's only because I had just spent over $100 here buying CTX and Kick Max!! :eek:

The day I received SS/PP, I did CTX: Step and Intervals (cardio only) followed by Supersets. The next day, I did cardio only from Body Max, then last night I did CTX: 10-10-10 (cardio only) followed by Push Pull. Until now, I had never done a Cathe workout that I didn't LOVE from the first try (except for maybe CTX: All Step!).

Between SS and PP, I prefer SS somewhat. However, my first impression was that something about the two workouts just didn't "click" for me. It's not that either workout was just too easy, although I certainly did not feel challenged in *every* body part, like I am when I do Power Hour, for example. Maybe the problem is that I don't have any step at all (regular or high step). Sometimes I can dash over to the staircase and do some high step exercises, but not all of them. I am not completely comfortable with the stability ball yet, although I do like doing woodchops (I struggle with pikes in a major way!!).

My question is, should I keep this DVD and try the workouts several more times apiece before giving up, or should I go ahead and sell it on eBay then buy something else instead? What were your impressions of these workouts - did it take time for them to grow on you?

I don't have the Pyramids or any Hardcore workouts except Kick Max (gonna do that one today, yahoo!). Other than SS/PP, I have CTX, Timesaver, Power Hour +, Terminator, and Kick Max all on DVD. I am planning on someday buying at least a regular step and maybe a high step. I'm leaning towards the Pyramids DVD, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading!!

Definitely try the upper body and lower body premixes of the workouts before deciding you don't want them. The premixes make the workout more challenging, IMO.

And hang in there on the stability ball work. Sometimes, the exercises we least like are the most beneficial for us. Even attempting to do some of the ball work will be beneficial.

I'd say, set the workouts aside for a while, then come back to them and try out the premixes.

I agree with Kathryn. Try the premixes. There are SO many options with this dvd. I rarely do these workouts "as is". I almost always do a premix.

Consider various criteria for evaluating these workouts and their value to you in addition to how hard they work your muscle groups.

Definitely, use the premixes to change things up, this will add intensity.

But remember also that not every workout has to be a killer one. Do you enjoy these woirkouts regardless of whether each muscle group is worked to exhaustion? Do you enjoy the music? Did they fit nicely after doing the cardio? At that point, could you have handled a tougher weight training workout or a longer one, or were these two just right in length and intesnity for placing after a tough cardio session?

I keep this DVD for Supersets alone. I don't do PP ever. Most of the time I do Gym Styles and S&H, but every now and again, I feel the need for a lighter, more fun workout and SS fits the bill. I really enjoy it and partly this is due to the fabulous music. It doesn't give me the "best" workout, but it leaves me feeling happy and exhilarated and good because I did something for my body that day.

Those who wish to acquire more Cathe workouts will always find the way! Pick up your other heart's desires as you go along.

Clare

I like PP, if only for the shoulder presses on the high step. Those are really hard!!

I like doing both workouts on days I need a bit of a break. I vote for keeping them!!

I would keep them for the following reasons:
1. The premixes
2. The stability ball work ( you will get better at this)
3. Doing them as is when coming back from an illness or a period of not working out
4. Using them when you want a full body workout but are just not up to long or high intensity workouts or you just want/need a lighter workout

Angela:7

I agree with everyone else, do the premixes. Split up your routine and do upper body one day (doing a premix) and then legs the next (doing one of the premixes) They kick my butt every time. When you get use to working on the stability ball, up your weights to get a really great workout.

My first impression of SS (I just recently purchases this one too) was "this isn't too bad". Except, of course, for those preacher curls on the SS, YIKES!

Anyway, the next day and the day after that I had major DOMS in my back. I felt muscles in my back I'd never felt before. I suspect the new working environment on the SS for these exercises was the culprit. I haven't done PP yet but IMO SS is definitely a keeper!!

Okay, okay, you've convinced me! I'll keep the DVD. :) I know I'll buy the others I want eventually anyway, but I seriously have to cool it with the credit card for a while. I'll try out some of the premixes next time, probably sticking to the ones with Supersets. I'll probably try doing the upper and lower body-only premixes on separate days during a week, making sure to hit every body part again at least once, at some other point in the week.

And, the inverted shoulder press thing was one of the reasons I didn't like Push Pull - because I don't have a high step and couldn't figure out a way to do the exercise any other way! So, I settled for the dumbell overhead presses, seated on the ball.

I guess I was also paranoid that by not getting sore the next day, I must not have worked out enough the day before.

Thanks, everybody!

>I guess I was also paranoid that by not getting sore the next
>day, I must not have worked out enough the day before.
>
DOMS is not necessary for a good workout. Lack of DOMS could be due to better recovery (because of recovery within the workout, rest or diet,like a high antioxidant level in the diet) or the right stretches at the right time.

I wonder if maybe straight-set work (what Cathe usually does: working one muscle group through several sets before moving on to another muscle group) tends to produce more DOMS than circuit or push-pull (superset) type workouts? It seems like it to me. Anyone else notice that?

inverted shoulder press without high step

Tony H. used the inverted shoulder press in p90x without the use of a step.

Just get into a v/pike position/downdog and do the shoulder press.

It is harder in Push Pull using the high step.

Lisa

out of the two workouts I like SS best. I didnt totally dislike PP but it didnt click for me either. I absolutely love UBP and the slow and heavy upper body workouts. I am going to give PP another try later and maybe I will like it more.

First impression was that they weren't as hard as the others I have. But, have definately come to find that I can make them as hard by using the premixes and I love that. Also, like the split routine options and that they can be used for days that I don't need a killer work out or want a little more functional workout (which using the stability ball offers). Keep them... you will find a place for them in your fitness journey.

Just my .02 cents!

Nancy

Like some of the other posters, I primarily use these workouts when recovering from an illness or after a lapse in workouts. They're a great way to ease back into things and I'm very glad I have them for this reason. I've done the premixes a few times but don't really like repeating segments of the same workout. I might give them another whirl next rotation, though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.