Feeling really cranky!

NRG Woman

Cathlete
I am normally a really happy person, but I have been so cranky lately. I am thinking it is because I have stress fractures in both feet so I haven't been able to work for a month, all I can do is sit and try to let them heal. Whenever I try to accomplish anything my feet really hurt and I feel like I am slowing down the healing.

Normally I am really a live and let live person, but now everything is irritating me:mad::mad: I know it is out of control because when I am driving I am mad at everyone for not staying evenly between the lane lines! I figure that is a definite sign. All I want to do is cry.

I hope it passes soon.

Shayne

I think you are going through exercise withdraws or DT’s. My guess is that you are in the habit of exercising every day and you body actually needs the endorphins to feel good. I’m no expert, I just notice that I have gotten to the point that if I don’t get some kind of activity during the day I don’t feel like myself. Have you tried yoga? Maybe even chair exercises. I have seen videos intended for old people (like me) done entirely in a chair. You probably can up with your own adaptation, make it a game. Or if you have access to a pool, swim!

Hang in there and vent away ! It will help. You sound like me on my menopausal days. It's kind of scary to be irritated so quickly and feel like you have no control over yourself.

What you are feeling is depression. Depressed and angry that you can't do what you want. I get irritable too when I can't exercise. I guess its a good thing - that keeps us moving and staying in shape.:)

I am sorry to hear about your fractures in your feet. I would imagine it will take time for that to heal. I once fell off my step and sprang my ankle bad. Took probably 4-6 weeks before I'd try to exercise again.

Hang in there, and use the forum to get suggestions. I would say do anything else you can for activity - you can lay there and do chest flys, chest press, tricep extensions, lat pullovers... just think how buff you're upper body will be when you get your feet all healed!

If, in doubt, a little dark chocolate might help the moods!

Hi Shayne,

You've got stress fractures in both feet?? That's awful! I'm so sorry to hear that and hope you are fully recovered VERY soon!

In the meantime: ask yourself--"What would Cathe do?" She'd figure out what exercises she could do that wouldn't impede her healing, but she would keep doing something. (Remember her plica surgery in her knees a few years ago?) So, can you do upper body work? Core? Work on your flexibility? What about lower body floor work? Just because you can't work out while on your feet, you can do other things. :)

Another thought to consider: if you had some seniors come to you and say, "We need a workout that we can do while recovering from knee replacement surgery, bunion surgery, etc.," what would you tell them? You'd put your creative mind to work and come up w/ a routine to keep their fitness & energy levels up.

When life gives you lemons, either make lemonade or use them for target practice. :eek: :p

Sending lots of healing vibes your way!!!

Shayne, since you can't "work out," why not try some meditation? Maybe a little bit of yoga without the poses on the feet. Stretching could be something you can do without putting more stress on your feet so long as you do the stretches sitting or lying down. You could still do some abs and superman poses for your core. At least these are a few things that might give you a little stress relief while you heal.

I hope they heal quickly! I am one of the worst at being patient when I'm injured, so I know exactly how you feel!

Hang in there! We're here for you!

I am so sorry to hear about your feet. I feel your pain. I had about 4 stress fractures at different times over a period of 18 months. I finally found a podiatrist who looked at my incredibly high arches and said I need custom made orthotics. Those have made all the difference and I haven't had any stress fractures in the years since (knock on wood). I don't know your history with fractures, but have you considered orthotics?

When I was recovering from my stress fractures, I spent a lot of time in the pool doing water aerobics and swimming b/c I could do those activities without pain. Even though I was the only one under age 60 in the water aerobics classes :p, it felt good to be moving my body. Do you have access to a pool?

Take care. Sending healing wishes your way.

What you are feeling is depression. Depressed and angry that you can't do what you want. I get irritable too when I can't exercise. I guess its a good thing - that keeps us moving and staying in shape.:)

I am sorry to hear about your fractures in your feet. I would imagine it will take time for that to heal. I once fell off my step and sprang my ankle bad. Took probably 4-6 weeks before I'd try to exercise again.

Hang in there, and use the forum to get suggestions. I would say do anything else you can for activity - you can lay there and do chest flys, chest press, tricep extensions, lat pullovers... just think how buff you're upper body will be when you get your feet all healed!

If, in doubt, a little dark chocolate might help the moods!

Excellent advice and suggestions here as usual.

Can I put my name down for the "Dark Chocolate" option. Where do I sign?????

But seriously .................... I get where you're coming from with the whole rages issue. I'm a pacifist and rarely given to displays of temper, but sometimes I just go completely doo-lally for no reason (that I can identify). I think I'm menapausal as the monthlys have ceased, but I think the cycle persists as in addition to crazed sugar cravings which hit right out of the blue, sometimes Gggggrrrrrrrrrrr I just want to rip the doors off the kitchen cupboards (and I know not why) Incredible Hulk style - and green is so not my colour. Ooommmmmmmmmmmmm.

You hang in there girl - now about this Chocolate .......................

Thank you for all of your ideas. I love the pool option since I was a swimmer in college, but I developed a chlorine allergy several years ago. I really miss the smooth feeling of the water on my skin and the pure silence as you swim under water.

Yesterday I tried biking on my spinning bike again. I had tried last week using my cycling shoes and it didn't go well. Well yesterday I decided to try doing it wearing tennis shoes and using my heels to push on the pedals (the fractures are in the front of my feet). Even though I biked easy for only 25 minutes I felt a million times better when I was done. So today I am going to try the same thing, hopefully I will feel even better afterward. At least this gives me a plan for the next several weeks as I heal.

And as for the dark chocolate therapy, I'm all for it:p

Shayne

Aww! I know how you feel. When I had just graduated from college I had to sit around on my butt for 4 months because I shattered my right foot. Lets just say I wasn't a real 'peach'.

Be sure to get plenty of vit. D, calcium and take an anti-inflammatory, my surgeon told me that inflammation would slow down the healing process. I also iced it a lot. Hugs!

I have to tell you all that last night I was having a major pity party so I decided to try chocolate therapy. I have to say in the middle of my piece of chocolate cake I felt much better and had a whole different perspective on the situation. I would say they should bottle that stuff to make you feel better, but it is so much more fun to eat it:D:D:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.