Feeling overwhelmed by equip in STs

erin1621

Cathlete
So I finally gave In an ordered STs. I was excited but then realized how much stuff I don't have at home like: slanted risers, db after 15, bb only 40! I also don't have. A squat rack or chin up bar! I this program do able? I took some 1 rm and was getting odd numers like 14 lbs for curls. MY PLAN was to do meso 1 at home and try 2&3 at gym maybe... That sound do able?? Thanks=}

I think your idea to do 2 and 3 at the gym is a good one. The biggest concern I would have, is your weights just really might not be heavy enough at home, especially for meso 3. I would not worry about the slanted risers too much, I suppose you could just do more flat bench presses maybe just change the position of your hands to get a little difference in the muscles worked. But if you go to a gym for 2 and 3, I don't think you even need them in meso 1.

You don't need a squat rack, it's only needed for meso 3 legs IF you choose to do the heavy weight dvds for meso 3, I used the plyo leg workouts for legs, which are really great. You will need a step and dumbbells for plyo legs.

Also, to replace the chin up bar, you can use tubing (get a thick one) with an over the door thing that allows you to attach the tube to the door and do pull downs that way. I bought the Cathe tubing specifically because it comes with the little over the door thing.

The 1 rm testing will get your exact numbers, so there will be a lot of odd numbers that just don't conform to standard dumbbells, there are some options if you want to be exact, like 1 and 2 pound weighted gloves and wrist weights, a lot of people have plate mates (little add ons) but your dumbbells have to be the iron kind, not rubber or the kind with fabric. These are great for at home workouts, personally, I don't think I would bring my wrist weights with me to a gym :)

Good luck and have fun!

I think so much depends on your personal desires and what results you want. Personally, I believe you could use some heavier DB's. I use my 20#'s all the time, not just with STS, also my 25's. Additional weights for your BB would be pretty cheap. That's where you would get the most "bang for your buck" - investing in more iron.

You do not need slanted risers. Just use your regular step risers.

You definitely do not need a squat rack - just do plyo legs. Or do your gym option which would be great, too. Although personally, if I didn't already have a gym membership which was important for something like group classes, I would invest that money into building my own home gym.

Chin up is more problematic. The door mounted systems are fairly inexpensive and might be worth getting. I don't really know anything about the tubing system. Another option is just to sub another back exercise like row since there are not that many chin-ups in the program. You need to do your own cost/benefit analysis.

Finally, the system to have in between weights is somewhat optional. If you want to do the program as designed you would need something like plate mates or weighted gloves. If you are not that concerned, just use the closest weight you have and you should still get awesome results.

Stop thinking and start lifting!!

I agree with both replies. Use your reg risers to make the slant & not to worry about squat rack. I use the tubing for the chin up/pull up portion & it works fine. I also agree on investing your gym membership $$ into putting together your own home gym. If the funds are available try one of the dial a weight systems. I have the BowFlex myself & although they can be clunky when doing certain exercises but all in all I love them!
I have done STS so many times & never get tired of it!! :D

I just used what I had and added when I could. Really, for M1, I was really able to use my step with the minimum risers and then found a way to modify the pull ups....

this is a great idea for the pull-ups:::

I found a walker (yes, a walker that older people have to use sometimes) at a thrift store for 5 bucks. This did great for my pull ups because I cannot do a regular pull up anyway. You just use it to do reverse pull-ups...laying back and stretching out your feet in front and pull!!! Walkers can be found regularly at thrift stores.... also it can be used for ab work too.

I also bought 20# dumbbells by the time I got to M2...I really felt I needed it at that time.

these two items were all that I purchased and really only purchased the 5 dollar walker at the beginning.

I agree with these guys. Work with what you have.

For pullups/chinups, I actually bought a suspension trainer a year or two ago that I am now using for supine chinups. Very cool and highly recommended IF you feel like it is a worthwhile investment for you. If not, use the bands for the back work. There is somebody in the workout showing this option.

I would definitely get more weight for your barbell, as I have to do the same thing. It's a cheap addition, as someone mentioned, so I'll be doing that. I invested in two sets of Bowflex Selecttechs over the last 4 years, so I feel that I have more than enough weight in dumbells.

You can easily slant your step with regular risers; I have no intention of ever buying slanted risers.

However, I'm also going to go to the gym for meso 3. I just have no desire to build my home gym that much. But as was already mentioned, if you don't want to do that heavy work, you can substitute plyo legs.

I just started this week, and there is a lot of equipment. You can always make it work for you, though.

Also, to replace the chin up bar, you can use tubing (get a thick one) with an over the door thing that allows you to attach the tube to the door and do pull downs that way. I bought the Cathe tubing specifically because it comes with the little over the door thing.

Dela, can you post a link to which tubing system you got? I see a lot of different options and I'm not sure which one to get.

I did 3 rounds of STS with just dumbells 5, 8, 10, 15 pounds. No barbell. I used a stability ball for the slanted risers and the tubing for the chin ups. I got really good results from it doing it that way and did not go to the gym. I lost 45 pounds without having a the "extra" stuff. Do it with what you have. Its so worth it!

There are some good suggestions here :). I actually regretted buying the entire STS series because of all the equipment. I live in a small condo and my living room becomes a gym in the evening. All my steps and weights come out of the coat closet. I have no room for larger weights or the push/pull tower which I would love to have. It can become very difficult when you need to store all this equipment. (I love my home and don't want my living room looking like a gym every day so I need to put everything away at the end of all workouts).

I could have just stuck with all of Cathe's other weight workouts which work very well. I'm not trying to be Ms. Olympia....lol, I just want to stay fit. Oh well. But I am so looking forward to her new low impact series!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.