Favorite Smoothie Recipes

kristi

Cathlete
With my kiddos starting back to school in a week, I was thinking about quick breakfasts for myself. This got me thinking about trying smoothies. However, I've never made one before. Does anyone have any favorite recipes for a novice such as myself? How do you up the protein? Are they filling?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Kristi

my favorite smoothie is one I got from Angela's Oh She Glows website with my own modifications:

1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp amazing meal chocolate infusion
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp cinnamon
2 handfuls of spinach
1 banana
70 g of frozen wild blueberries
0.75 c almond milk and 0.25 c coconut milk
ice cubes

blend.

Drink.

Yum!

Definitely NOT low in calories, but keeps me filled up for awhile and is so tasty.

My son loves the chocolate smoothie at Starbucks, so we came up with a similar version.

1 cup of milk
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa
1/2 ripe banana
Ice
Blend and enjoy.

1 cup OJ
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1-1 1/2 cups frozen fruit ( I like frozen cherries or pineapple )
1 Tblspn ground Flax seed ( optional )

Makes an entire blender full with about 30g protein - fills me up until lunch!

Chocolate whey protein 1 scoop
12 oz. milk (whatever kind you prefer.)

Put contents in a shaker bottle.

And shake away!

Drink in the car on the way, don't forget to rinse out the cup, you don't want it to sour on you in the car.

I like this better than a real smoothie because there is no blender to clean up. Just put the whole thing in the dish washer or wash by hand with Dawn. You don't even need a straw. It is close to 300 calories or so. Don't be fooled. However, it goes down easy and won't slow you down at all.

Last edited:
Below is my typical smoothie but all these other recipes look great! Definitely gonna try them out :cool:

3/4 to 1 C almond milk or coconut milk
1 banana
a handful of fresh spinach
1 T plain greek yogurt
1 heaping scoop of vanilla PP (can add more if you want more protein)

I'll sometimes add in 2-3 frozen strawberries & 1 T of natural peanut butter if I'm a little more hungry than usual.

After workout pre menopause or menopause and beyond (the latter would be me) LOL:D smoothy. Got this recipe from Dr. Oz, suppose to help with "The Change Of Life".

1 c. Swiss chard
1 c. green tea
1/2 c. blue berries
2 brazil nuts
1 T. flax seeds

This is so good!

Janie

Hi!! This thread is great because I am always on the run and need new smoothie ideas. Here's one of my favorites:

Pumpkin Pie

8oz of unsweetend almond milk + water for a runnier shake
1/4c canned pumpkin (I use Libby's or you can use sweet potato instead)
1/4c quick cooking oatmeal
1 tsp vanillla extract
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, allspice, ginger, ground cloves (or use 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice)

For more great shake idea's check out my Fit and Trim Fitness page on Facebook and look under my notes for "Time to Shake Things up"

The ingredients I use:

plain greek yogurt
muscle milk - vanilla
strawberries
handful of spinach
enough green tea to make consistency you like

for those of you who try to keep the calories low and don't mind some artificial flavoring I recently discovered Lorann candy oils and Flavor Fountains. It's just flavored extracts, but there's a ton of flavors to flavor your smoothies and protein shakes anyway you desire without adding calories. I've been using Syntha 6 protein powder since it's more like a meal replacement, a little bit of almond or coconut milk, lots of ice, sometimes coffee and get creative with the flavors or just use one and it's like a milkshake!
The fruity flavors are good in green smoothies if you are trying to cover up the lawnmower taste. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.