Faithnveggies/Jody: Question for you

fitgoddess

Cathlete
Saw your picture trail! Incredible! Your latest picture is what I am striving for, and I'm about at your June 2006 photo (just a lower weight, but same in terms of being at the point where it's about getting the final fat layers off to reveal the muscles---and I'm also setting a goal of acheiving it in one year)

Can I ask how old you are? And is this your 1st acheivement at such fitness? Or have you been fit your whole life and just had to get back into that terrific shape again? Also, were you doing Cathe the whole time? If not, at which picture did you start Cathe? Also, can you give an overall percent of your day/week you ate clean in the year you really buffed up?

Hey, thank you for asking! Good luck to you on your journey. Your goal may be to acheive in one year, but we're all in it for the long haul, right? I want to be fit, healthy and able to move when I am 80! So here is the edited for "you really don't want to hear all that personal crap" version of my response. It is a little shorter, but if you make it to the end, thanks for listening!

Can I ask how old you are?

And is this your 1st achievement at such fitness? Or have you been fit your whole life and just had to get back into that terrific shape again?
Fitness/health achievements include:
quitting smoking 15 yrs ago (lived on coffee, cigs and a doughnut here and there, was 104 pounds),

25 pound loss w/ weight watchers about 8 years ago where I started eating fruits and veggies for the first time in my life (went from 150 to a pretty healthy looking 125) Was doing Firm, Kari Anderson etc.

about 5 years ago, a switch to mostly vegetarian diet that still included lots of veggie junk food and white flour (no wt loss there)

Currently striving for a diet very high in whole plant foods (say 10svgs of fruit and veggies) and no dairy. I do OK some of the time, but like last night, was at a party/friend's house and we mostly had drinks and cheese and crackers for dinner! Many days I only get 5 svgs of fruit/veggie and I eat granola bars w/ Skippy on 'em. So I tend to have good and bad weeks, not days.

Also, were you doing Cathe the whole time?
I started Cathe approximately 2 years ago. Wt training wise, she is all I do. Prior to Cathe, I'd only used up to 10 pd dumbbells with occasional forays into gym membership.

If not, at which picture did you start Cathe? Maybe the Aug 2005 pic? Got a barbell, PH/MIS/BM and Lowmax

Also, can you give an overall percent of your day/week you ate clean in the year you really buffed up?
I actually leaned out starting around 6 months ago (started dating) going from 128 ish to my current weight. I think the things that made a diff were not overeating and the new DVDs. Doing intervals, you know? BM2, LIC and DM have the blasts in them. Also, when I run, I usually do full out x one minute at the beginning of each new song on my MP3 player. I started that about 6 months ago, too.

A big part of it is also doing my work on spiritual stuff, shedding my codependent hagginess a little at a time, trying to become less entrenched in my self defeating thoughts and behaviors. In my life I've noticed that getting married = gaining weight. Getting divorced = losing weight. Dating = getting as lean as possible. I am more than a little concerned about what will happen if I get into a secure monogamous relationship. Hopefully I'll have had enough spiritual awakenings by then to handle it.

I know I am butting in...BUT...YOU LOOK AWESOME!! wowwww
(I am veggie head too!)

I wanted to know if you lift very heavy? Have you continually added more weight to your workouts? That is where I get stumped...

Well, I am sorry to have butted in, but you look amazing

Jody,

Hope this isn't a silly question, but your "before" photo . . . were you consciously posing for a "before" photo knowing you were headed for an "after"? Or, did you decide to use that for your "before" photo after the fact?

Mo

Thanks for sharing Jody! It helps a lot especially to read the parts about the exercise, because it shows me that I really have to come out of my comfort zone to get to the body look I want. And I want to be moving when I am 80 as well! :)

But I don't want to overkill right now, as I am just starting Cathe....so I'm going to "chill" with Muscle/low/core/stretch max for a month or 2, and just get myself up to a Cathe par....then I really want to get into Drill Max, Low Impact circuit, kickbox, and stuff like that. Thanks again.....again, it goes without saying that you look totally fab! And at 44! SUCH an inspiration!

Thank you sooo much for the kind words. For the record, I doubt I am more fit than others here on Cathe, I just have the dubious honor of having a dramatic wt loss and a particularly hideous Before Pic.

As far as going heavy, I do try to lift as heavy as I can and sometimes that means doing fewer reps than Cathe. In the beginning, I was able to increase wt more frequently, now the increases are much slower to occur. I tend to match Cathe plus or minus a few pounds, usually a little bit less except dead lifts, I go heavier.

MO, LMAO at that question. I actually had my dtr take the before pic because I had already lost 10 pounds and knew I was going to keep going. The scary part is, I remember asking her to take the pics that morning because I thought I looked pretty nice that day. Granted, a smile would make all the difference in the world, but man, is that a scary before pic or what??

Jody,

I also wanted to let you know that you look great. I need to clean up my eating to lose those last 5 pounds:)

Steph

Steph,

I also have those last 5 pounds or so to lose (around the middle). I know I have abs under there somewhere! It's definitely my eating habits...good, but could improve.

Swayze

Hey Steph,
I checked out your pic trail, you are gorgeous~ and the beefcake pics at the end were quite a nice addition:) Were the other non Ocean City beach pics from Daytona?

Faithnveggies - Creative screename by the way!

I like what you said about the spiritual process. I would say that's the major key in being fit (on the inside and outside).

Therapy is helping me tremendously in the relationship department...Setting boundaries, speaking up, claiming what I want, etc. Once you build that respect for yourself, the rest all falls into place quite nicely...

"You can't set boundaries with food (stop eating when full) until you set boundaries with others."
Ann Kearney-Cooke PhD, Florence Isaacs (Authors) – from Change Your Mind, Change Your Body

Jody,

The other beach pictures are also from Ocean CIty MD.

Shelly,

Thanks. But it still want to lower my body fat some. My hubby says I will never been happy.

I can't wait to get the Cathes.

STeph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.