Facebook Friends

lrusso

Cathlete
Definitely don't have a whole lot in common with most of my FB friends. I post about working out, eating healthy, juicing, etc. without too much response. So glad I can always come here when I want to read about and discuss these things! Thanks Cathe! :D
Linda

I understand...most people are just jelous...because you are active and healthy! But, us Cathe fans...are always here to chat!!! :D

I agree. I do have some friends who are in to working out, but they're all guys, so we're not always aiming for the same fitness goals and I can't really talk to them about the progress I'm making on my saddlebags. ;-)

I also find folks are very biased towards gym workouts and don't think you can get a good workout at home. It's nice to talk to people who don't feel that way and know that you can kick lots of butt working out in your own home.
:D

I understand...most people are just jelous...because you are active and healthy! But, us Cathe fans...are always here to chat!!! :D

I don't think that just because people are not interested, that they are jealous. Maybe they just have different interests. It happens! ;)

It is very nice to be able to come here and share our love for fitness and get lots of good information. Thanks to everyone here!

I don't post often on FB, but when I do I rarely get comments. Even if I post a pic of my daughter, the majority of "likes" will be from friends and not family :(.

I rarely post about my exercise regime on FB. I come here for that :).

Take care :)

I'm probably about to write something very unpopular, but here goes. I do visit FB, but to keep up with close friends and family. I don't post much and I don't comment a lot on other people's posts. I have noticed a crop of people I'm friends with on FB who overshare. I'm not saying anyone here does that, but sometimes people don't comment because that's not what they visit FB for--to hear about what you ate for lunch or what workout you did. There are people that I am friends with and really do like them (in person), but I have blocked their comments because they spend way too much time on FB oversharing every aspect of their life. Trust me, it's not jealousy that makes me not comment. I workout every day so my lack of commenting on certain people's pictures of themselves in a yoga poses or "running" a 5K (10 photos for one 5K--really? How can you be running if you stop constantly to take photos?) has nothing to do with jealousy. However, there are people who don't overshare and will post a single pic from their mud run--and that interests me. It's the oversharing that gets old fast.

Now, there are a private FB groups I am a member of that are fitness oriented. I do post on those groups sometimes--but my posts are not made public to everyone I am friends with, so they don't have to read about my personal interests--because the groups are private, only the people who are members (and therefore care about the same thing) can see what I post.

That's also why I come here--because everyone is interested in the same thing--keeping fit with Cathe workouts.

I'm probably about to write something very unpopular, but here goes. I do visit FB, but to keep up with close friends and family. I don't post much and I don't comment a lot on other people's posts. I have noticed a crop of people I'm friends with on FB who overshare. I'm not saying anyone here does that, but sometimes people don't comment because that's not what they visit FB for--to hear about what you ate for lunch or what workout you did. There are people that I am friends with and really do like them (in person), but I have blocked their comments because they spend way too much time on FB oversharing every aspect of their life. Trust me, it's not jealousy that makes me not comment. I workout every day so my lack of commenting on certain people's pictures of themselves in a yoga poses or "running" a 5K (10 photos for one 5K--really? How can you be running if you stop constantly to take photos?) has nothing to do with jealousy. However, there are people who don't overshare and will post a single pic from their mud run--and that interests me. It's the oversharing that gets old fast.

Now, there are a private FB groups I am a member of that are fitness oriented. I do post on those groups sometimes--but my posts are not made public to everyone I am friends with, so they don't have to read about my personal interests--because the groups are private, only the people who are members (and therefore care about the same thing) can see what I post.

That's also why I come here--because everyone is interested in the same thing--keeping fit with Cathe workouts.

I don't post personal things about myself. I almost always just pass along quotes with pics and some fitness pics with quotes, in my case I think it is a nothing in common thing. For ex. I am a vegan and people post pics of animals they have hunted and killed, things like that. I don't have kids, people post everything their kids do, and that's fine but I just feel more at home here where I can discuss and learn about what workouts people are doing, what people are eating, and just talking to people that generally care about about their health and well being. :)

So what do you think is an appropriate facebook status for someone to post?? Just curious.

I wasn't judging what is appropriate and what isn't. I was giving a reason why some people don't comment on every single post. People are welcome to post whatever they want. The only thing I don't care for is excessive oversharing--but that's the beauty of the ability to block comments; I don't have to read someone's posts if I don't want to. But I do like these people and we often use the FB email to message each other. I just don't see their posts anymore.

The kind of oversharing I've blocked? People who post 10+ times a day giving every detail of what they are doing. For example: "Just put a cake in the oven. Yum!" Followed by pictures of the cake when it comes out of the oven then another of someone eating a piece. It doesn't even bother me when people do that every once in a while (like on a birthday)--but there are people who live on social networks. I visualize them always at their computer or on their smart phone making these non-stop status updates--which leads me to wonder how they actually experience what they are posting about when they can't seem to actually disconnect.

BTW--truly "inappropriate" comments are usually the most interesting. :p

Last edited:
I'm also going to say something that's unpopular. I defriended several Cathletes on FB because all they talk about is fitness. I want my friends to be interesting, multidimensional people, and I've come to find many of the Cathletes I was friends with would only talk about Cathe and working out, and they would ignore anything, everything, and everyone (myself included) else, and that gets old FAST. And this is coming from someone who works out almost exclusively to Cathe. Now it can be that those people are interesting, multidimensional people in real life, but their posts on FB sure wouldn't let me infer that conclusion. I don't mean any disrespect, but if you post multiple times per day and all you talk about is working out and Cathe, I begin to think that you're obsessed, and obsession is never a good thing: even when it comes to health. That is why I no longer link my workouts on Workout Manager to automatically post to FB: I most likely alienated those friends of mine who aren't into multiple posts on fitness, which is understandable because I found that I felt the same way about other FB friends.

I've decided that if I want to discuss Cathe and working out in general, I'll do what I'm doing now and post on the message boards.

Last edited:
I know what you mean! I have ONE friend that runs...but even she doesn't quite get the working out part and politely nods her head when I talk about it...thank goodness for Cathe and all you guys!

I wasn't judging what is appropriate and what isn't. I was giving a reason why some people don't comment on every single post. People are welcome to post whatever they want. The only thing I don't care for is excessive oversharing--but that's the beauty of the ability to block comments; I don't have to read someone's posts if I don't want to. But I do like these people and we often use the FB email to message each other. I just don't see their posts anymore.

The kind of oversharing I've blocked? People who post 10+ times a day giving every detail of what they are doing. For example: "Just put a cake in the oven. Yum!" Followed by pictures of the cake when it comes out of the oven then another of someone eating a piece. It doesn't even bother me when people do that every once in a while (like on a birthday)--but there are people who live on social networks. I visualize them always at their computer or on their smart phone making these non-stop status updates--which leads me to wonder how they actually experience what they are posting about when they can't seem to actually disconnect.

BTW--truly "inappropriate" comments are usually the most interesting. :p

I am SO with you on this. I visit facebook every day, but I very, very rarely respond to anything (like or comment) and I even more rarely post anything myself. I have just seen enough over sharing.... to the point that I just don't share myself at all.

It is a great thing to be able to block comments from people that you get tired of reading about. It's a good way to save your own sanity, yet not hurt their feelings by unfriending them. I have several friends who I love dearly, but like you said, I don't need to know everything they eat and every thought that passes through their brain. ;)

Another thing I don't understand is "checking in" wherever you are. I find that tops my list of over sharing, as well as having an element of danger to it on several levels. Not only does it tell everyone where you are, it also tells them you are not at home.

And while we're sharing pet peeves about things people post... how about the "vague-bookers"? You know the ones... they are always posting some leading comment, but not explaining themselves. Example: "OH NO! Now what am I going to do?" Or some such thing. It's meant to garner responses from people asking what's wrong. In my opinion, it's just a lame attempt at attention grabbing. Why not say what's going on? Isn't that the whole point of facebook?

I think the "group" feature is a great thing, and probably isn't utilized enough by people. If you want to post a fitness related comment, post it to only your fitness buddies. If you want to tell everybody about your uncle, or your grandmother, post to your family group only. However, I think it's probably just easier for most people to just post whatever to whomever.

I am SO with you on this. I visit facebook every day, but I very, very rarely respond to anything (like or comment) and I even more rarely post anything myself. I have just seen enough over sharing.... to the point that I just don't share myself at all.

It is a great thing to be able to block comments from people that you get tired of reading about. It's a good way to save your own sanity, yet not hurt their feelings by unfriending them. I have several friends who I love dearly, but like you said, I don't need to know everything they eat and every thought that passes through their brain. ;)

Another thing I don't understand is "checking in" wherever you are. I find that tops my list of over sharing, as well as having an element of danger to it on several levels. Not only does it tell everyone where you are, it also tells them you are not at home.

And while we're sharing pet peeves about things people post... how about the "vague-bookers"? You know the ones... they are always posting some leading comment, but not explaining themselves. Example: "OH NO! Now what am I going to do?" Or some such thing. It's meant to garner responses from people asking what's wrong. In my opinion, it's just a lame attempt at attention grabbing. Why not say what's going on? Isn't that the whole point of facebook?

I think the "group" feature is a great thing, and probably isn't utilized enough by people. If you want to post a fitness related comment, post it to only your fitness buddies. If you want to tell everybody about your uncle, or your grandmother, post to your family group only. However, I think it's probably just easier for most people to just post whatever to whomever.

Another rare poster on FB (and here). I did post last week just wondering why we (me and some of my FB friends are friends on FB but not in real life! I accepted several friend requests originally because I felt I was being rude not doing so, and now I am just slowly blocking people. But I really had one girl I graduated with send me a friend request, and then when I went her check out stand at the grocery store, she carded me for the wine I was buying (graduated in 1990) and AFTER seeing my ID still pretended not to know me. Maybe I look THAT different (I don't) I don't know.

I found recently that my newsfeed is filled with just drama queens/kings. I have one in particular of those "vague-bookers." One minute "she just gives up" or "is about to break down" and then an hour later she's posting a picture of her new engagement ring and all is right with the world lol!!!

eta: I guess it's possible the girl glanced only at my birthdate and not my name, but STILL!!!!!

Last edited:
I have considered deactivating my FB account for these reasons. I couldn't agree more that these people don't really seem to be living a "real" life. I also don't like when people call people who don't agree with their political views names. I have blocked people I like in person because they are so hateful. I rarely post anything anymore either. I can't seem to pull the trigger on deactivation yet but maybe in the future. It really is a stain on time.

I agree! I have also considered deactivating my account. The only reason I didn't is because I belong to several groups related to my profession and I don't want to lose those valuable contacts. It has gotten to the point that I don't even check my news feed anymore, I just go into my groups and check the posts for information.

Has anyone else had this happen? I got a friend request from a girl I went to college went. Now mind you, we were not friends in college, she talked about me behind my back constantly. Now she has the nerve to send me a friend request and a message telling me that she and another friend of mine were just talking about me because they were reminiscing about college. The topper: She has the audacity to end the message telling me how good I looked. Really, we were not friends in college and I have no interest in being her FB friend now.

I'm sorry for the rant, but that just really irked me and I saw this post and I needed to get that off my chest. :)

I used to get all icky over drama on there but i realize it is more sad for them. Because really they may be lonley, or really dont have a life and wanting or needing attention. I truly dont want to judge them but i do kinda giggle at it some times or wonder what there thinking.

Of course if i FEEL like posting my workouts i do... It may be everyday for a week, it may be days with no wo post. My fb wall is my wall i might actualy be an inspiration to someone or i may be irritating. Lol what ever like u guys say you block comments. So if they dont like my post then i dont mind them blocking me. I dont cuss or say offensive stuff, i stay positive and i dont post when i go to the bathroom either. Lol.

Most part though i realize lots of people seem to still need acceptance, even though they are old enough that shouldnt be a factor. Its sad but its just the way some are. I try to make some of them feel accepted by likeing some stuff...what does that hurt? To make someone feel good once in a while? Thats how i see it now. I guess different prespective then i used to.

Most part though i realize lots of people seem to still need acceptance, even though they are old enough that shouldnt be a factor. Its sad but its just the way some are. I try to make some of them feel accepted by likeing some stuff...what does that hurt? To make someone feel good once in a while?

Right on Renee!

Just stop. If you don't like the posts, block them. "This person in particular" is a dear friend and knowing the obstacles and how hard she's worked to be able to do the things she does leaves me inspired and motivated when I read her posts. I get it you don't, but stop being lousy to people I care about on a very public forum.

Last edited:
I am proud to post my Cathe workouts on Facebook....I think it's been a great marketing tool for Cathe. I have had so many people who ask about her workouts because they see my workout manager posts on Facebook. If I can help Cathe in anyway and spread the word about her amazing workouts, I will!

We all have different opinions and hobbies. Whether that be fitness, food, photography, crafts or a million other things in between I accept what my friends post because it's a tiny refletion of where they are physically, mentally, emotionally at that point in time.

People can block or de-friend me for my views on whatever they feel is taking up space in their news feed. At the end of the day i'll be left with a group of facebook buddies that want to stay connected to me regardless of what i'm posting.

Ly10up- that "person" inspires me as well, as do you ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.