extended stretch in STS

fitat49

Cathlete
Do you ladies always do the extended stretch at the end of the workout? I have never done it, should I be? Thanks, Lori

I did the extended stretch for the first few weeks of my first rotation of STS. After that, I wanted more variety so I started using Stretch Max, the stretch segment from other DVDs or a short Yoga DVD. I am now in my second rotation of STS and I almost always do a short segment of a Yoga DVD after my work out. You should definitely stretch after working out, but choose a stretch segment that you enjoy.

Hi, Lori. I do the Extended Stretch after almost every STS workout. It's about 15 minutes long and I like to add that at the end of that tough weight workout.

I'm so NOT a stretch/yoga/pilates person. I just don't have the patience for sitting in one spot for too long. :) However, I now refer to the ES as my "Gumby Stretch" because I've gotten so flexible by doing this 2-3 times per week. It's really helped with my running to!

I vote to DO IT! I now LOVE the ES and do the whole routine with my eyes closed, just listening to Cathe tell me what to do and just letting my body do it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is what I say everytime I exhale in a stretch! :)

Gayle

Mostly I feel like I don't have time unless it's a weekend, so I usually do the stretch from gym styles or muscle max, or something! But, here I am in week 3 of meso 3 and I realized the other day, hours after my workout, that I didn't do any extra stretching after chest/back. Hmmm, my shoulder is very sore now.... wonder if there is any connection......

-Beth

I always use the Extended Stretch after my STS workouts.

I never realized how good the Extended Stretch was. Until one day I tripped over my husbands shoes and twisted my back. I was so sore. It hurt to walk. I couldn't do STS for a couple of days. I did do the Extended Stretch every other day for two weeks. The stretch felt so good. I think this hurried up my recovery.

I usually do the extended stretch after some cardio days and definitely at the end of the last STS workout for the week.

My wife and I have done the extended stretch many times, but not after every workout. Sometimes we don't have the time to complete it, so we'll do quick stretches. The stretches really do help and are recommended. If you can't stretch like a gumby character, that is OK. At least your preventing injuries from occuring.

i don't do it after every workout, but on the days where i'm really feelin it, i will. also, i like to do it after my long runs.

I think I did it once, and found it kind of long. I should stretch more than I do, but once I'm done, I want to be DONE! I had been doing my abs at the end of my STS days so I was about up on time, and another 15 mins wasn't going to fit it. When I got to the longer Meso 3 discs, I moved my abs to my cardio days, in the interest of time. I think I next time I do STS, I will keep abs on cardio days, and make sure I get the extended stretch in on my STS days. I know I need it, I know its good for me, and that will keep me in the timeframe I need to be in.

Nan

I do the ES after every STS workout. I am so pumped that I NEED it just to calm my mind and restore my body. I don't feel that I could just walk out of my home gym and get started with my day without a stretch and the ES is the perfect one.
DH uses it every other day to relieve back pain. He has used many other stretching exercises and says ES is the best for him. Second best is core max with the band. (But I think he likes it because of all the pretty ladies he gets to look at;))
Hope this helps.

I stretch after each STS workout. However, I must admit, I get a bit bored with the STS stretch since it is always the same, so I mix it up with 3 different stretch routines from Stretch Max (Hardcore Series). If I have time, I especially enjoy the yoga stretch (22 mins). I think the ball stretch is around 19 mins and the band stretch is just under 18 mins. So they are a few minutes more than STS extened stretch, but well worth it and definitely keep the boredom at bay.

Good luck.

Michele

I did at first, but have to admit that I no longer do. I do an ab workout after each STS workout, so find it annoying to have to keep changing the DVDs to go back to ES afterward (I prefer to only stretch at the end of a workout, so prefer to do it after I work my abs).

I also find it annoying that there really isn't any targeted stretching at the end of each STS workout. The ES is great for what it is- sort of a full body half-light-yoga-half-stretch routine- but it doesn't really usually hit the body part that you just worked very comprehensively. If I feel the need, I will add my own stretches, just stretching the muscles that I just worked. I also do about 10 minutes of targed stretching after my runs.

DH uses it every other day to relieve back pain. He has used many other stretching exercises and says ES is the best for him. Second best is core max with the band. (But I think he likes it because of all the pretty ladies he gets to look at;))
Hope this helps.

He does Core Max with the band for a stretch?

I did the extended stretch a few times, but then I wanted to stretch just the muscles I had been working. Ever since, I do stretch, but prefer to listen to my body and stretch what it tells me to stretch!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.