Experienced RTers got tips for First Timers? Post 'em here!

jodijodi

Cathlete
Hi all! I did this last year, and got some positive feedback, so I thought we'd try it again! This thread is for experienced Road Trippers to post a few handy tips to help out the First Timers. And feel free to use this thread to ask questions too.

First, I'll post a link to Gayle's tips regarding contact lenses and the fans in Cathe's gym: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265801

Some tips from me:

- There is a Kmart right next door to the hotels, in easy walking distance. Keep this in mind when packing, because if you need any last minute items, they are just a few steps away. I will probably buy my reusable water bottle here so that it doesn't take up room in my suitcase. (And if I decide to carry-on my suitcase, I don't think that large empty bottles are allowed through security. Not sure about that.)

- The hotel has small travel size shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms, which are the perfect size to tote along to the gym. In past years they were Pantene brand.

- Bring Sharpies to use for Cathe and crew to autograph with, and don't forget to use them to put your name on your stuff, including your camera, and any goodies that we might get when we register. All of those RT tshirts are going to look exactly alike, and you'll want to know which one is yours! (I was VERY happy I did this in 2007 when I left something behind, but it was easily located with my name on it.)

Hope these are helpful...I will post more if I think of any!

Hi all! I did this last year, and got some positive feedback, so I thought we'd try it again! This thread is for experienced Road Trippers to post a few handy tips to help out the First Timers. And feel free to use this thread to ask questions too.

First, I'll post a link to Gayle's tips regarding contact lenses and the fans in Cathe's gym: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265801

Some tips from me:

- There is a Kmart right next door to the hotels, in easy walking distance. Keep this in mind when packing, because if you need any last minute items, they are just a few steps away. I will probably buy my reusable water bottle here so that it doesn't take up room in my suitcase. (And if I decide to carry-on my suitcase, I don't think that large empty bottles are allowed through security. Not sure about that.)

- The hotel has small travel size shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms, which are the perfect size to tote along to the gym. In past years they were Pantene brand.

- Bring Sharpies to use for Cathe and crew to autograph with, and don't forget to use them to put your name on your stuff, including your camera, and any goodies that we might get when we register. All of those RT tshirts are going to look exactly alike, and you'll want to know which one is yours! (I was VERY happy I did this in 2007 when I left something behind, but it was easily located with my name on it.)

Thank you, Jodi! This very helpful info. Excellent tip about the sharpie and labeling!!

In one week I'll be on a plane headed for Philly! SO EXCITED!! Can't wait to meet you and all the other Road Trippers (and Cathe, of course)! :)

Lisa

Great idea Jodi! :)

Some tips from me:

Wonderful thread, Jodi -- terrific idea!!!! :D Thanks!!!!

If using the zip lock bags (mentioned in a previous post) to put your dirty, sweaty workout clothes in when changing at the gym, make sure to take the clothes out of the bag and let them air out when you get back to the hotel. You don't want them getting mildewy after being zip locked damp and sealed for a few days when you get home.

Jean

Dont' sweat the workouts. Everyone is in the same boat.

Don't be shy or afraid to introduce yourself to others. Again, we are all in the same boat.

Please, don't hog the front row during all the workouts. Lots of folks will only get this one chance to workout next to Cathe. If you are lucky enough to snag a place close to her for one workout, be generous and move to the rear for the rest.

Jodi, THANKS for starting this.

Robin, EXCELLENT tips!

If you're bringing something for Cathe and/or Crew to sign, you don't need to bring the whole disc case, just the paper insert (or whatever it's called).

Bring extra batteries for your camera....you're gonna need them!

HAVE FUN!!!

Gayle

Please, don't hog the front row during all the workouts. Lots of folks will only get this one chance to workout next to Cathe. If you are lucky enough to snag a place close to her for one workout, be generous and move to the rear for the rest.

This is a great one. This is my third RT, and I've never been in the front row near Cathe for a workout, though I was in the front row off in the corner once. Not complaining, but it is nice to let others get a chance.

Don't be shy or afraid to introduce yourself to others. Again, we are all in the same boat.

Thank you for posting that, Robin! I'm a little, erm, shy when first meeting others. :eek: I will make a point of introducing myself to people. :cool:

However, once I get acclimated, I'm like "WOO HOO! Let's party!" :eek:

Lisa

Some tips from me:

That is sooo good to know. I'm trying to do carry-on and I'm presuming I can't take a razor!

As a second-time RT-er, I will say that I brought more workout outfits than I actually wore. I had one ready for each workout but found that I ended up with the "why bother" mentality about changing that often. I was already sweaty, what's the difference if I continued to sweat in same oufit? I will still bring some spares but am not planning to bring six entire outfits, maybe four ;)

Any other repeat RT-ers feel the same?

Also, as for meeting Cathe, I always found it better not to SWARM her immediately when she entered the room during down time. I felt bad that she hardly had a chance to sit down and enjoy the night during the meet and greets and dinners and so forth. So I tried to bide my time and found a chance to talk to her that wasn't during the "swarm effect" as I like to call it. Just my personal feeling on the matter, figured I'd throw it out there. :) I know she enjoys meeting and chatting with all of us, I just tried not to be in her face and all, ya know? (similar to the not hogging the front row mentality!).

As a second-time RT-er, I will say that I brought more workout outfits than I actually wore. I had one ready for each workout but found that I ended up with the "why bother" mentality about changing that often. I was already sweaty, what's the difference if I continued to sweat in same oufit? I will still bring some spares but am not planning to bring six entire outfits, maybe four ;)

I'm glad you mentioned this b/c I was thinking no more than 4 outfits.

Who all took showers?

Is a Venus Razor considered a "safety razor"?

I'm glad you mentioned this b/c I was thinking no more than 4 outfits.

Who all took showers?

Is a Venus Razor considered a "safety razor"?

I'm pretty sure you can bring a venus, my last work trip to Phoenix on Southwest I brought mine and they let it through.

I didn't shower at all at the gym, I waited until I got back to the room. The sweat dried, a little deodorant here and there and I was fine! Not too stinky, at least not offensively so! ;)

I showered at the gym once during both of my prior RTs. I think for both it was after the 2nd workout. It was nice to be clean for lunch. After the other workouts, I used my baby wipes.

For outfits, the first year, I really did change after each workout. Last year I wore one outfit for two workouts on Saturday, so I had an extra outfit.

I would bring new outfits for each day, definitely. So at least three. I don't think I'd want to put on an outfit that was already dirty.

I also bring a sweathsirt! When you are sweaty after a class and those BIG A$$ fans are going - it can get downright chilly in that gym! Esp if you are wanting to wait in line for a pic with Cathe or to get her to sign something for you. My first RT I froze and actually, a-hem, "had" to buy a Cathe fleece. Now I just bring a lightweight sweathsirt.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a word file open on my desktop and every time someone mentions something I need I put it on the list because I know that I won;t remember all this when I am packing.

BTW I can't believe it is only 1 week away!! I remember leaving work early, feeling "ill" so I could register many, many moons ago.

Alternative to either not changing between workouts or changing everytime.....I can not STAND keeping my wet/sweaty bra and undies on any longer than needed, so if I am keeping the outfit on after an 'easier' class, I will change just the under garments. Personal choice!

Pack an air freshener. lol Again, this a personal thing, but I don't go ANYWHERE without an air freshener in my purse, bag, etc. For the, ahem, 'nature calls'...it helps in the the hotel AND in the gym locker room.

Gayle

Yes, you can carry on your razor (including Venus). I would be in big trouble if that was forbidden given I'm gone on extended trips periodically (and I always do carry-on even for the 2 week trips).

That is sooo good to know. I'm trying to do carry-on and I'm presuming I can't take a razor!

I agree with not changing your outfit each time. See my post in a thread listed below this one entitiled, "Making my list". The upshot is, especially if you are in the first group of Bootcamp exercisers (that class starts soon after Saturday's FIRST class ends) you really won't have a whole lot of time to shower and change and you probably will not need it yet. It feels WONDERFUL to have more time to shower after the 2nd class and then you will be fresh for lunch and chatting with friends. That saves you a whole outfit. I LOVE baby wipes instead of hand towels or washcloths. They are disposable and thus cleaner than damp, sticky towels lying around in your damp, sticky bag with your other damp, sticky clothes and shower towels.:eek: Towels especially seem to hold onto moisture longer than wicking exercise wear although certainly the clothes smell too. Last year was my first road trip and I think this year I am going to heed the advice of one of the coordinators--instead of changing into street clothes after a shower I will just change into my next clean exercise outfit. That saves yet another outfit. Last year at the end of the day we were bussed back to our hotels where we had an hour or 2 to refresh and change into "real clothes" for our fun evening. Hope this helps someone! Kareng

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.