Experienced RTers got tips for First Timers? Post 'em here!

The hotel staff is gracious and lovely. They are so helpful.

Bring a roll of quarters if you plan on using the locker room. The lockers are half the height of what your high school locker was and a bit narrower.

Bring ice from the hotel in your water bottle to fill up at the gym. They have plenty of water but limited ice.

There are 8ish showers and 105 of us. Folks are pretty quick though.

Bring a bottle of wine and meet me in the lobby of the Residence Inn after Saturday. I'll have one too. We'll need it ;)

Oh, I like the ice idea! That didn't even occur to me before!

I didn't even bring street clothes to the gym on Saturday. I agree that it makes sense to just change into the next workout outfit.

I thought of another tip...my favorite way to meet new people at the RT: at every event and for every bus trip, I made myself sit next to a different person/people. It was my personal "rule" for the weekend. And yes, sometimes I felt a little shy about it, but everyone was so friendly, and all I had to say was "Where are you from?" or "How long have you been working out with Cathe?", and I made lots of new friends. I highly recommend it!

Dont' sweat the workouts. Everyone is in the same boat.

Don't be shy or afraid to introduce yourself to others. Again, we are all in the same boat.

Please, don't hog the front row during all the workouts. Lots of folks will only get this one chance to workout next to Cathe. If you are lucky enough to snag a place close to her for one workout, be generous and move to the rear for the rest.[/quote]

This one kind of made me misty-eyed (must be the excitement of knowing I'm flying out a week from today!). That is a really thoughtful suggestion.

Last edited:
I also bring a sweathsirt! When you are sweaty after a class and those BIG A$$ fans are going - it can get downright chilly in that gym! Esp if you are wanting to wait in line for a pic with Cathe or to get her to sign something for you. My first RT I froze and actually, a-hem, "had" to buy a Cathe fleece. Now I just bring a lightweight sweathsirt.

I think I'll not bring a sweatshirt and then I'll just have to buy one -- works for me!

Great tip about getting cold, though. I can very easily seeing that being a problem.

Thanks everyone for all the info...I am so excited about going on the roadtrip and meeting everyone. I still can't believe that I am going. :p

Yes you can bring an empty bottle through security. I advise you to just place it in the container holding your shoes and liquids.

I always keep deoderant & a small bottle of moisturizer in my gym bag so I can freshen up without the trouble of a shower.

Last year was my first trip, and I was really nervous about approaching Cathe and asking her questions, because I know she's busy, but she actually encourages it. She loves talking to each of us, and getting our feedback or questions or us telling her how much we adore her! Don't be afraid to approach her, she is compassionate, kind, and so sweet!!

Also, sleep now, because you won't sleep then. *wink wink*

Thanks so much for this thread. Couple of questions answered (razor!!) and I'm thinking 4-5 workout outfits too.

I might be returning my travel bag and getting a smaller one - I hate to check luggage and wait if I don't have to. I checked the US Air site and don't think mine will exactly meet their criteria:(

I can't wait to meet everyone, workout and EAT!!! It's all I can think about!!

Also, good suggestions to rotate front row, give everyone an opportunity to meet/greet Cathe (and not overwhelm her!).

Don't know what I'll say to her when I do meet her :eek: but I'm SURE I'll think of something!

See you all SOON!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.