excedrine

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
Can anyone tell me why they recalled excedrine? And will they bring it back? I heard they had other pills in them like percecets or something like that. Surly they are gonna bring. It back. It is the only. Pill I found to help my headaches.

I read somewhere they had problems with production. It's supposed to be back in the fall or winter. I miss it too!

I don't know why excedrin was recalled. But what I like about exceeding is that it has caffeine with it and that is what helps me get rid of my more severe headaches (and some of my migraines). I just buy generic and just check to see that it has the same % of pain killer and caffeine.

Thanks. Its just disappointing. Because I've even had ibuprofen 800 mg prescription and yoga it never worked. But I fouund yoga n exccedrine work wonders. Thanks to both pf you. I was curious.

I remember when I first found out!! ACK!!!!! The Target pharmacist said something about production. Broken bits the bottles, I think. It was a safety thing. I bought the Target version and it works good. THe husband of one of my coworkers works at CVS, so she always has their kind. It works pretty well, too.

You want the acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine combo. You can also just take 2 regular or 1 extra strength Tylenol, two regular aspirin, and a cup of coffee or a Coke, and it'll work as well I prefer coffee. Actually, my preference is two Excedrin and a big cup of coffee. Headache gone!!

Nan

130 mg caffeine

I agree with other posters that a combo of caffeine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) works wonders. On the East Coast, they sell headache powders (Goody's is one brand, BC is another). They taste awful, but the locals here swear by them.

Instead of buying Excedrin, I take the recommended dose of Tylenol and about 130-150 mg of caffeine. To get this much caffeine, I need to drink at least 8 oz of coffee. When I don't feel up for coffee, I drink Crystal Light Energy, which has 130 mg per 16 ounces. This is great for staving off an impending migraine for me.

Here is a link to a Consumer Report on the Excedrine recall

Should I buy Excedrin on eBay?

Reason for the recall: "There has been a shortage of Excedrin since January, when its maker recalled the drug because of concerns that oxycodone and certain other prescription opioid-type painkillers had accidentally been included in some pill bottles. "

Conclusion (same as stated above in several other posts): Generic versions of Excedrin, which is just a combination product containing acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine, is still widely available"

"A spot check of pharmacies near our Yonkers, N.Y. office, for example, shows that CVS sells a 100-count bottle of its store brand, generic Excedrin for $19.49. Walgreens offers their store brand with that same pill count for about $9. And Walmart had it for less than $3, sold under their Equate store brand. Look for bottles labeled "Headache Relief" or "Migraine Relief," along with "Compared to Excedrin" marked on the bottle. (Note: prices among drugstores, even within the same chain, and online, may vary.)

Although many people worry that generic drugs aren't as safe or effective as brand-name drugs, it's not true. The active ingredients in a generic drug, including over-the-counter drugs, must be identical to its brand-name counterpart. And a generic drug manufacturer must show that its product is released into the bloodstream and maintained at the same level in the body as the brand-name drug. Finally, the Food and Drug Administration regulates generic and brand-name drugs the same way. "

So, buy the generic and save money for more Cathe workouts :)

Last edited:
I'm glad to see they are going to be back next month. I don't take excedrin, but since the recall I can't find my dog's heartworm preventative. They make Interceptor, and apparently the recall effects all the drugs they produce.:(

I have suffered from migraines since I was very young and have used Excedrin on and off for a long time. The reason why it works so well is the caffeine / aspirin combo. Caffeine acts as a catalyst for the aspirin which is a really good thing when you suffering from a migraine!

As for generics, I find that the rapid release generic Walifren (I think that's the name...it's the Walgreen's version of Excedrin) works the best! It's a little bit more than the other generics but well worth the extra cost.

spyrosmom said:
I remember when I first found out!! ACK!!!!! The Target pharmacist said something about production. Broken bits the bottles, I think. It was a safety thing. I bought the Target version and it works good. THe husband of one of my coworkers works at CVS, so she always has their kind. It works pretty well, too.

You want the acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine combo. You can also just take 2 regular or 1 extra strength Tylenol, two regular aspirin, and a cup of coffee or a Coke, and it'll work as well I prefer coffee. Actually, my preference is two Excedrin and a big cup of coffee. Headache gone!!

Nan

That is what I do too, excedrin and coffee. Or, asprin and coffee.
Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.