ever take a few days off. . .

jnka825

Cathlete
from working out? I usually workout 6 days a week, but last week, I just couldn't. I didn't have it in me. So I took three days off and started again today with a tough one, BOOT CAMP! I feel great now that I am done, but I forgot how hard that one can be. I feel guilty for taking the three days off, especially when I have about 5-7 pounds to go to get to my goal weight, but I just did not have it in me. how many of you have taken a break and for how long?

Just wondering and trying not to feel so guilty about it now.

Kristin

Kristin,

I have been taking it easier than usual over the last couple weeks...from workint out that is. We have been working in the yard, putting in a patio and pathway. I have been so exhausted from digging and shoveling, and carrying paving stones, I couldn't face a workout too! I am back on track for this week. I think it is alright to take a break for a few days, as long as it doesn't turn into a few weeks, a few months...

Carrie

I took three days off this week too. I'm on the third week of STS mesocycle 3. I hadn't missed a single STS workout until this week. I skipped plyo legs on Wed. and did disc 33 yesterday (was scheduled for Fri.) For me I think it's a combination of things that culminated in a perfect storm. Mesocycle 3 is the hardest off STS (imho), the extreme heat 110+ here in AZ, some changes in my schedule and some other factors made it hard for me get in my workouts. I feel bad about missing an STS day, but for me getting back into things after only three days is a major accomplishment. I've taken months, practically years, off in the past and I've never stuck to any kind of rotation for more than a couple of weeks so missing just one STS is also big. But I know what you mean by feeling guilty I fall into that trap too.

Your body needs a break every now and then. Never feel guilty about that! When you just can't do it, that's your body telling you it's time to hang loose a little! Mind you, just a little! ;)

Yes, I think we all do this from time to time. Don't feel guilty--Listen to your body...sometimes we really do need a break and come back stronger than ever. :D

I think it is very healthy that you listened to your body and gave it a break. Like you said, you came back stronger than before! We really do need at least 1 DOR each week.

I totally agree with everyone!! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A few days every once in a while is a wonderful to thing to do for your body, mind, and spirit. Starting again fresh is great.

I always take a least a week off when I go on vacation away from home! I think it just makes my workouts that much better after a little rest and relaxation! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. My body really was telling me it needed some rest. After reading these posts, my guilt is gone. I have been working out steady 5-6 times a week since last July. This is the longest I have ever gone with dieting and working out and I think it is due to Cathe and this forum. I am still hoping to lose a few more #'s like I said earlier, but I am also doing this to stay strong and healthy. I love the fact that I am fit and can keep up with my two boys who are 4 and 1. In the past, once three or four days went by and I slacked off, I would continue slacking. I think maybe that's why I felt guilty. . . afraid I would start to let myself go again.

Thanks again,

Kristin

Hey I have two boys ages 4 and 1 too!:p

Don't feel guilty for taking a break. You need to learn to trust yourself - that a break is just that - a break. And you WILL be back. Maybe you were just overtraining a little, or maybe your nutrition was just a little off, or you were dehydrated from all this heat. Don't at all feel guilty for that. I do know what you mean though about the guilt, because sometimes even just one day, or one bout of the flu, can throw off your whole workout routine for months and months. Sometimes it's hard to get back in the zone when you let your guard down. Now, if I take a day or two off, I know I'll be back refreshed and ready for the challenge. And you are right about these forums helping you stick with it. You'll always have lot's of support here!:)

Dani

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.