Emshysema and Massage

sancho

Cathlete
Hi,

I know there are all kinds of people on this board with lots of knowledge and life experience so I thought I would throw this question out there.

My father is 71 and has severe (I mean SEVERE) Emphysema. After 50 years of smoking 2 packs a day and never (really, never, in 50 years) going to a doctor, he has quit smoking and is under a doctor's care (living in an assisted living community). He is getting respitory treatments, all kinds of meds and oxygen. But he is still "too tired" (maybe unmotivated) to get out of bed and is still very short of breath (and anxious about it).

My aunt heard from a friend from Europe that there are physical therapists that do massages to loosen the phlegm from the lungs and help to clear them. Has anyone else heard of this or done it ( or had it done) and if so, where would I start to find someone ?

Any other treatments out there that others know of or have tried?

Thanks,

Lauren

No advice, but just wanted to send you hugs. I'm so sorry he's dealing with this. My grandfather had emphysema and it was really hard seeing him struggle with it.

I like the idea of massage.

There is such a thing as vest therapy which is basically a vibrating vest that loosens secretions. We use it a lot at the hospital. Also, various breathing treatments loosen secretions, such as mucinex nebulizations and bicarbonate nebulizations. Do they have respiratory therapy at his nursing facility?

Becky

Yes. He is getting breathing treatments every 5 hours. But, that vest thing sounds interesting. I'll bring it up with the doctor.

Hi,

I know there are all kinds of people on this board with lots of knowledge and life experience so I thought I would throw this question out there.

My father is 71 and has severe (I mean SEVERE) Emphysema. After 50 years of smoking 2 packs a day and never (really, never, in 50 years) going to a doctor, he has quit smoking and is under a doctor's care (living in an assisted living community). He is getting respitory treatments, all kinds of meds and oxygen. But he is still "too tired" (maybe unmotivated) to get out of bed and is still very short of breath (and anxious about it).

My aunt heard from a friend from Europe that there are physical therapists that do massages to loosen the phlegm from the lungs and help to clear them. Has anyone else heard of this or done it ( or had it done) and if so, where would I start to find someone ?

Any other treatments out there that others know of or have tried?

Thanks,

Lauren

I just wanted to send you and your father good luck your way.

I have bad asthma and it is awful for me. I can't imagine how emphysema must feel, but I know it is one million times worse than asthma.

I really feel for your poor father. I hope the massages work for him.

Not being able to breathe is no fun and I am so sorry for him.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.