Elliptical or Treadmill

wrkoutqueen

Does anyone out there have an opinion about which is better? I am curious how you work it into your Cathe workouts too?

My vote is for the elliptical...there was a good thread on this not too long ago, you might do a search to get more info.

Susan

Being a runner I am a fan of the TM more so then the EXT but many runners don't even like TM's so an EXT may be the way to go...

As for how to incorporate it's use into your Cathe routine, that is up to you. I, for one, use running for the bulk of my cardio and Cathe for the bulk of my weight lifting. This makes it very easy for me as I can always just alternate lifting/cardio on a daily basis.

There are alot of folks here who will sometimes take one of Cathe's circuit work outs and use the TM or the EXT for the cardio portions and then jump off to do the weights with Cathe. If I had a machine in my home I would do that as well. I really like that idea! I've also heard of folks who play an IMAX while on a machine to help them do an interval work out while having something to watch/listen to at the same time.

HTH!

Last edited:
It all depends on personal preference. I've had a treadmill for several years and wanted to add another cardio machine to my workout area so I purchased an elliptical. I've had a hard to getting used to it. The movement feels awkward to me. I still like it but I prefer my treadmill right now.

HTH

ive had my ellip for a few weeks. i like it for when im feeling "lazy" and dont feel like following choreography or having impact.
i bought cardio coaches to listen to so i dont get totally lazy on that thing!:D

good luck deciding!

I like them both, although my preference is for the elliptical. I'm not much of a runner and so when I use the treadmill it's because I'm forcing myself to (ok, ok, I do enjoy it, but there are days it's a struggle). I'm a gym member again after a 5-year hiatus so it has been fun using both pieces of equipment again, after doing just at-home workouts. I'm looking forward to the spring thaw here in North Dakota so I can take my runs outside (so much better than the treadmill!). :p

I have one of each at home and prefer my treadmill. I will say that if I go to the gym though I enjoy the ellip more because they have the $3K Precor models that are so nice! I have some problems w/ my legs that make running more than two, maybe three, times a week not possible so the ellip is a nice alternative.

I have both but use my eliptical more only because I run with a group
outside a few times a week so I want to cross train.
Get a good quality one which ever you choose.:D

I dont have a .....

elliptical but I have a treadmill and I love it!!! Its a Smooth 9.6 and had it for 9 years now,no problems at all and run lots of miles on it. In the past I use to run 50-60 miles a week on it,now 30-40 miles.

I don't have either, but we are buying a treadmill today!! A few years ago, I really loved using the elliptical at the gym. I never used the treadmill much because I couldn't run -- or so I thought.

I have recently discovered that I CAN run, and my wonderfully supportive husband has agreed to buy me a treadmill for my birthday so that I can pursue this running thing!

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for the feedback. I am still torn!!! I think the key is going to be trying them both again and making a decision about which one to purchase for my home.

Walking or running on the TM is somewhat better for the prevention of osteoporosis, but the elliptical is easier on the joints and it's almost impossible to injure yourself on the elliptical. That being said, however, the most important factor is what you're likely to stick with, which means which you enjoy more. So, you really should try them both for awhile before buying if at all possible.

Walking or running on the TM is somewhat better for the prevention of osteoporosis, but the elliptical is easier on the joints and it's almost impossible to injure yourself on the elliptical. That being said, however, the most important factor is what you're likely to stick with, which means which you enjoy more. So, you really should try them both for awhile before buying if at all possible.

I agree with Nancy 100% on all points. Just wanted to add that running on the treadmill tends to burn more calories than the elliptical, although both tend to overestimate, the latter a little bit more (for mileage as well). But again, as Nancy also highlighted, which one will you like better and look forward to getting on is the one you should choose.....Personally, I use the elliptical when I am looking for a slightly lighter day or to bring my cardio to 60 minutes after having taken a 45 min cardio group class; for whatever reason, I always feel as though I have worked out harder on the treadmill. But that's just me.... :)

Outside of these 2 machines, my absolute favorite is the stair mill (the steps rotate as you climb up)....Does wonders for the butt :) and definitely harder than the traditional stair climber, but probably way too expensive for a home gym. If you look into it and find an affordable one, do let me know :)

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

I have had both, I recently sold my elliptical and got an indoor trainer for my bike. I have read where the treadmill burns more calories than elliptical in all of my research. I had a Proform model from Sears....it was good, but as I progressed in training, I found it somewhat archaic. My husband got me the Bowflex Series 3 treadmill 3 years ago and I got hooked. I love to run now and if I get burned out on the running I go back to the aerobics and when I get burned out on aerobics, then back to the treadmill. But wow! The indoor trainer is amazing...I haven't cycled in so long my legs are still sore two days later! Maybe if I could afford an elliptical like a Precor, my elliptical experience might be more positive...but make sure you get your money's worth!

I have a Precor eilliptical and I love it. I have an old Proform treadmill I'm selling to make room for a newer one. My old treadmill is so loud I couldin't hear my TV over it. I love the option of alternating with both. I love how I can read on the elliptical. I love the treadmill for going all out with my ipod on. It's just what you prefer. The elliptical is a lot easier on my feet and knees. It's a tough decision.

I am a runner as well and I have broke 2 treadmills in the last 5 years from so much running. We got a good deal on an elliptical recently so I bought it instead of a new treadmill. I figure I can do my running outside and the elliptical is a good workout on non running days or sometimes I do 20-30mins for an extra workout at night. I love that it's no impact and easy on the joints since I run so much already. I also love that you can push pull with your arms and get a great workout upper body too.

Elliptical - it's easier on my knees, but I only use it at the hotels I stay in (I travel a lot :)). But perhaps if my treadmill wasn't 10 years old, they may make nice platforms that would give a little more. It's one from Dick's and it's been great, I hate to part with something that works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.