Eczema

RapidBreath

Cathlete
Ugh, I just found out from the Dr. that I have eczema. They gave me a steroid cream that I have to put on it and now I'm reading online that sweat can make it bad. This is not good news for a Cathlete.

Are there any Cathletes that deal with this condition? If so, do you have any recommendations? Any suggestions?

My poor skin is red and itchy. Ugh.:(

Ugh, I just found out from the Dr. that I have eczema. They gave me a steroid cream that I have to put on it and now I'm reading online that sweat can make it bad. This is not good news for a Cathlete.

Are there any Cathletes that deal with this condition? If so, do you have any recommendations? Any suggestions?

My poor skin is red and itchy. Ugh.:(

I have been making medicinal soap forever and have some already made for Eczema. I learned making soap more than 30 years ago and not once looked back on store bought soap. Also have done research on what herbs to use for Eczema and put it into the soap. If you like I will send you a bar.

On occassion I will have an opportunity to sell my soap and always bring it with me to sell, but no one had the need/guts to purchase it. Soap can last for a very long time. The longer soap ages the better it is. Or I can make it fresh for you because I don't know if the herbs would last as long as the soap. If I make it, there is a curing stage for 4-6 weeks.

If you are game I'll send you a bar and see how you like it. It would be my pleasure. If you are uncomfortable using it, don't worry I understand. I don't blame you for not wanting to put unknown substances on your face/body.

Asking your doctor may help in deciding if you want to try it out. However, I don't think it can hurt you. Besides, you can always stop using it if the Eczema gets worse.

It's an old fashion type soap, using lye and oils, and when doing so goes through a chemical reaction called saphonification. It's no longer lye and no longer oils, it's soap. Made, since man has cooked on an open fire. The oils from the dripping meat and the lye from the ash made soap.

Another option is taking the herbs and making an ointment out of it with V. E and other oils. I can send you a sample and the recipe so you can make it on your own.

Let me know if you would like to try it, I'll send it out ASAP. Just message me your address.

Take care,

Janie

Last edited:
I, too, was told I had it around my nose. Just at the bottom curve of the nare. Sometimes it really, really hurts! I have an ointment from the doctor but it burns. I got a different ointment that doesn't burn but I have to use it faithfully or the eczema comes back angry. I can only use it at night because its greasy and smears etc. It never seems to completely go away. I would love to hear from others too! It is incredibly frustrating and sometimes painful.

I was told I had the same issue maybe back in the 1990's. At first I used prescribed cortisone creams and tar shampoo but when I read about the connection between dairy and eczema, I stopped consuming dairy all together. Everything cleared up pretty quickly and I never used the cream or tar shampoo again. I consume goat cheese and almond milk exclusively and have for the last 20 years. Not sure this will do the trick for you but it might be worth a try. Dairy is in so many things - you have to check labels.

i wish you luck. eczema can be itchy and uncomfortable - the flare ups are even worse.

Like CeciFifi, I eliminated most dairy. I do like kefir and goat cheeses anything fermented which is so good for your gut. I also eat Greek yogurt, but I do not drink milk and avoid it. I've had issues with eczema and other skin rashes because of profuse sweating and I was given a cortisol cream by my dermatologist and it did nothing for me. What helped me was a good probiotic which is MegaFlora Plus and it took some time. Not immediate, but it worked eventually. I also had relief with my own homemade stuff which was organic tea tree oil, rosemary and oregano oils properly diluted. I use that in with coconut oil. I also like Manuka honey. Regardless, I had a ton of problems with my skin and beat it after years of going the pharmaceutical route which did nothing at all. Do some research on probiotics and eczema and see if it fits your symptoms. Good luck !!!

Like CeciFifi, I eliminated most dairy. I do like kefir and goat cheeses anything fermented which is so good for your gut. I also eat Greek yogurt, but I do not drink milk and avoid it. I've had issues with eczema and other skin rashes because of profuse sweating and I was given a cortisol cream by my dermatologist and it did nothing for me. What helped me was a good probiotic which is MegaFlora Plus and it took some time. Not immediate, but it worked eventually. I also had relief with my own homemade stuff which was organic tea tree oil, rosemary and oregano oils properly diluted. I use that in with coconut oil. I also like Manuka honey. Regardless, I had a ton of problems with my skin and beat it after years of going the pharmaceutical route which did nothing at all. Do some research on probiotics and eczema and see if it fits your symptoms. Good luck !!!

Thank you so much for sharing. I will try eliminating dairy first to see what happens. Thank you!!!

I was told I had the same issue maybe back in the 1990's. At first I used prescribed cortisone creams and tar shampoo but when I read about the connection between dairy and eczema, I stopped consuming dairy all together. Everything cleared up pretty quickly and I never used the cream or tar shampoo again. I consume goat cheese and almond milk exclusively and have for the last 20 years. Not sure this will do the trick for you but it might be worth a try. Dairy is in so many things - you have to check labels.

i wish you luck. eczema can be itchy and uncomfortable - the flare ups are even worse.

Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it.

I've had eczema in the past too; my doctor told me not to use deodorant/ scented soaps and body washes as that can aggravate it and really dry out your skin. I only use Dove and lots of lotion everyday and I usually don't have a problem with it anymore. I can use some body washes like Dove or St. Ives. Aveeno makes an eczema lotion and Cerave has a really thick cream that's good for really dry areas.

Avoiding dairy may help too!

I also love Keifer and drink it regularly.

I've had it in the past, fortunately it has not been a problem in a while. Usually mine would flare up in the winter. I was told to avoid hot showers/baths (just could not bring myself to do this) and use fragrance free lotions & soap. Typically I was getting it on the backs of my hands. My best guess was the drier winter air and washing my hands lots in the winter did it. The last time I dealt with it, I worked in a small office and brought in my fragrance free soap. My best guess is that all the winter hand washing with harsh soaps really bothered me.

I have yet to find a store brand fragrance free soap, so I use the Dover fragrance free. Target and Walmart both have fragrance free lotions that seem to work as well as the pricier brands.

what I have found so far

I have been doing a ton of research on line about how to treat eczema. Different people seem to have different triggers. I am doing an elimination diet to see if it is diet. I am starting with eliminating dairy. It seems to be a consensus among the cathletes that this might be a good place to start.

My atopic eczema is responding to triamcinolone cream. I am not itching and the largest spot is reduced in size. My other spots on my thigh and ankle seem to have gone away.

I have found some videos on youtube from different people that seem to be promising. Don't be put off of the low quality, not everyone has my experience in the film industry ;)

Olive leaf and olive oil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pZwp7Pjbs

How to care for your skin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHvdT2GvrA

Here is a link to an ebook that I purchased about how to look into your diet, but you could just do a standard elimination diet (which is what I'm doing):
Eczema Free Forever - How to Cure Eczema Easily, Naturally and Forever

Here is a link to some tips from wiki how:
How to Treat Eczema Naturally: 16 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
I do not recommend adding the bleach to your bath water, skip that step. Don't do it. Obviously you want your tub to be clean, but I don't see how applying bleach is a good idea.

Here are some homemade remedy videos from youtube.

But, I just want everyone to understand that what might be a remedy for one person might be an irritant for you. I personally don't use Tea Tree oil because I get terrible red angry skin bumps. It just depends on your own body. Also, be aware that all 'essential oils' are highly potent and require a carrier oil, that would be an oil to thin them out, like coconut, jojoba, olive, or shea butter. A healing oil can be damaging if it is too strong. Also, ACV gives me yeast infection on my skin. It depends on your own body.

HairNailsandbeauty tips videos on eczema:

Detox but bear in mind, if something she suggests is an allergen, don't eat that.
Part 1: Lemon, clay detox drink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6x8Tbc-1ME
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eamoc5ZJ7E
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGM_IDK6k

Shea Butter recipe for your skin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHkspMstiM

Shea Butter and Peppermint oil:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfFKUKI8bY
Skip to minute 8:22 for the shea butter/ oils part. Or you can watch the whole video, she talks about triggers, using shea butter, and an online company that will mix it for you. I won't be using some one else to mix the oil into the shea butter because I'm crafty and I can manage on my own, but it depends on the person.

I copied someone's comment on youtube, I thought it might be helpful.

"I am now using herbal infused oils and a healing lotion bar, all made with Calendula, Plantain & Comfrey. I alternate the different oils each day. I use the lotion bar, which contains local beeswax, after the oils has soaked into my skin. I have been applying these herbal oils for 2 months. I am also using Coconut oil as a body moisturizer. I have been 'oil pulling' with Coconut oil for 2 months. I have had these two eczema patches, one area on my back and the other on my thigh, for four years and now they are almost completely gone. No more scratching and bleeding. It will be interesting to see if they STAY AWAY. Good luck with no more outbreaks."

This gal discovered that she was oxalate intolerant. One of the commenters mentioned something called 'Red Skin Syndrome'. So, I will be watching out for that after I go off my steroid cream.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the research on this! Regarding essential oils, I agree so much on what you printed in red. Always dilute with a carrier oil such as coconut, jojoba, grape seed oil, etc. I don't do well with apple cider vinegar either, and that stuff is widely recommended for everything.

Oh yeah...I also do everything with coconut oil, including oil pulling. Makes my teeth really white!

Oh yeah...I also do everything with coconut oil, including oil pulling. Makes my teeth really white!

DirtDiva what's oil pulling and what do you do with the coconut oil to whiten your teeth...I'm intrigued??

DirtDiva what's oil pulling and what do you do with the coconut oil to whiten your teeth...I'm intrigued??

Essentially its swishing coconut oil through your mouth, like Listerine. Its amazing for the health of your gums and it supposedly detoxes the salivary glands and provides other health benefits. I like how it whitens my teeth and I never have *bad* breath. I've been told that by the one person who should know ;). Do a google search...coconut oil pulling...and a bunch of really good information will come up. I do it in the shower for about 5-8 minutes, even though the recommended length is like twice that. Remember to spit it out, don't swallow it :confused:. I'm not certain about your drain systems, and I've heard you shouldn't spit it down the drain, I usually spit it into the toilet, but I suppose that may be the same thing? I only use about 2 teaspoons at a time, so not that much, currently I'm using Nutiva and any organic coconut oil will work. I wash my face with it, take makeup off, use it on my hair, and best personal lubricant for a woman hands down! Sorry tmi, but too late :D.

I don't know if this is eczema or not. I have an itchy red rash on my ankles and hips. It is mostly really itchy at night and quiet during the day. Is this symptomatic of eczema? I have never had anything like it before. It has been about a week now and I am using an OTC cortisone cream which helps but does not seem to be healing it. I am trying to decide whether or not to go to the dermatologist.

Phyllis- it could be eczema or it could be a fungal infection or a bacterial infection. My eczema does get worse at night, thats the norm for eczema. Is your rash dry? Mine did start on my ankles. You could go to the dr. to find out if what you have is indeed eczema, for your sake I hope its fungal or bacterial because eczema is an autoimmune response that we just have forever to whatever allergies we have. I hope they can cure your itch. Its super annoying.

The doctors just give us steroid creams and they have no cure for eczema. Its an epigentic problem where people have a gene variant (this does make me a deviant:cool:) and then they get exposed to something that irritates their bodies. Many people think it goes back to leaky gut.

Thank you for the information. I have never had anything like this in my life and I am over 60! I am sort of relieved that it is normal for it to become more active at night. That was worrying me for some reason. During the day I can actually forget about it but by say 9 p.m I am itchy! After I am up for about half an hour I am not itchy at all. Guess I should go the the dermatologist and get a definitive diagnosis.
This started right after Thanksgiving and I have been wondering if it was something I ate. I have never had an allergy in my life.

Essentially its swishing coconut oil through your mouth, like Listerine. Its amazing for the health of your gums and it supposedly detoxes the salivary glands and provides other health benefits. I like how it whitens my teeth and I never have *bad* breath. I've been told that by the one person who should know ;). Do a google search...coconut oil pulling...and a bunch of really good information will come up. I do it in the shower for about 5-8 minutes, even though the recommended length is like twice that. Remember to spit it out, don't swallow it :confused:. I'm not certain about your drain systems, and I've heard you shouldn't spit it down the drain, I usually spit it into the toilet, but I suppose that may be the same thing? I only use about 2 teaspoons at a time, so not that much, currently I'm using Nutiva and any organic coconut oil will work. I wash my face with it, take makeup off, use it on my hair, and best personal lubricant for a woman hands down! Sorry tmi, but too late :D.

Hi!
I was wondering, do you(or should you) brush and floss your teeth if you do oil pulling? It's sounds very intriguing.

thanks,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.