Early Risers??

It doesn't really matter what time other people wake up to work out - it's your own circadian rhythym that you have to convince to change. How to do it? Just do it. Go to bed early (take a melatonin if you have to to reset your sleep cycle to the earlier time) and wake up early at the same time every single day. Don't allow yourself to go back to sleep. Just get up and start working out, without negotiating with yourself about whether you will or won't get up. You will wake up fully after a little while and by that time you will already be doing the workout and you'll feel awesome when you're done. Then, lather, rinse, repeat. You'll get used to it after a week or so and in the meantime, suck it up, buttercup and tell yourself that you'll feel better soon.

I've had the same problem for forever.. I can workout like nobody's business at 8 pm, but 5 am? no way! So I turned to my SIL who gets up real early to w/o. her advice was, to get up 1/2 hour earlier everyday and build up. Well I'm here to say, it is 6 am and I've already run 3 1/2 miles. was it easy? no... will I do it again? I hope but no promises. I feel great now, but am worrrried what is going to happen around 4 oclock this afternoon. Anyhoo.. just wanted to share my own experience with you! good luck:)

I am an evening exerciser...... about 6 or 7 pm and this is the best time for me. I am stronger, more flexible and have much more energy than i do in the am. It does not in the least interfere with my sleep either. On occasion because of my schedule, I need to schedule my workout in the morning and I always feel horrific during the workout and after. I leave the house for work just before 5 am but get home around 5 pm and so early evening is also the best time to workout from a logistic perspective. If I was only able to squeeze workouts in in the morning, I probably would not be working out. But that is just my biorhythm.
There was also a thread on here years ago about hormonal, blood pressure, flexibility difference in the morning afternoon and pm and how that relates to the intensity of exercise one is capable of. I don't know how to access the old threads however or if they are still available.
To answer one posters question. Yes, it is OK to work in the evening and gob to bed shortly thereafter. Whatever works for you.
Cathy

Last edited:
I was always a night owl until I went cold turkey almost two years ago, and I've been getting up around 5am ever since. Like you, I was faced with a situation in which I knew if my workouts were going to happen, they would only be first thing in the morning. My youngest was a baby at the time, so it was not easy, but I was actually excited to get up early after I quickly learned how easy it was. Crazy, I know!:eek:

I will confess, however, that I need a little jolt of caffeine first.:eek: I finally got smart and started setting the automatic timer on the coffee maker *before* I went to bed to save myself those extra minutes in the morning.;)

I am usually in bed by 10pm or so, otherwise I run the risk of waking up closer to 5:30ish. Not terrible, I just prefer a longer workout if possible.:D

Good Luck!

Julie

I try to be organized so I don't have to take extra time in the moring making lunch, etc. I also sleep in my workout clothes so all I have to do when my alarm goes off at 4:20 is grab a glass of water and lace on my shoes. Morning workouts are an aquired taste, but once I got used to it, I hate to start my day without it!

That's a good idea :)

I am an evening exerciser...... about 6 or 7 pm and this is the best time for me. I am stronger, more flexible and have much more energy than i do in the am. It does not in the least interfere with my sleep either. On occasion because of my schedule, I need to schedule my workout in the morning and I always feel horrific during the workout and after. I leave the house for work just before 5 am but get home around 5 pm and so early evening is also the best time to workout from a logistic perspective. If I was only able to squeeze workouts in in the morning, I probably would not be working out. But that is just my biorhythm.
There was also a thread on here years ago about hormonal, blood pressure, flexibility difference in the morning afternoon and pm and how that relates to the intensity of exercise one is capable of. I don't know how to access the old threads however or if they are still available.
To answer one posters question. Yes, it is OK to work in the evening and gob to bed shortly thereafter. Whatever works for you.
Cathy

Evenings are best for me but if I get my workouts done in the mornings I have more time for kids at night. *sigh no win situation lol Last two mornings I was able to get AM workouts in. Tomorrow is rest day and so Sat/Sun will be AM workouts as I work second shift on the weekends.

I was an evening exerciser for years and never thought the early morning would work for me but I adjusted to it because I had to and now when I have to do the occasional evening or even late afternoon work out it's very tough! :eek:

I think your body will adapt over time to whatever situation you put it in...:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.