DVD recomdation for chronic back pain management

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,
My 18 year old son has been suffering from lower/mid chronic back pain for well over a year now. We decided to take him to a chiropractor versus our primary care simply because we wanted to avoid any sort medical prescription. The chiropractor took X-ray and was diagnose with a spinal subluxation as a result of adolescence and combination of him playing soccer and doing the majority of the corner throw ins. He came up with a 4 week plan 3 times per week at $50 per session. He did the 4 weeks of treatment but is not necessary feeling better, plus we cannot further support treatments at $50 per session. If anyone in ths forum can recommend a DVD that targets back pain to help manage it rather than medicate the pain? Thank you!

Vini yoga therapy for low back sacrum & hips (Gary kraftsow) works for me. you can find it on amazon. I don't have a diagnosed back problem, just sporadic low back pain. Beware: this video is extremely boring.

I've used both the Emily K and ViniYoga ones and think they are super useful!
Be careful with twists in yoga though with his back condition. I also cannot recommend Franklin method ball work enough either!
http://www.optp.com/Franklin-Method-Ball-and-Imagery-Exercises#.Vefm6lP4L_g
It might be possible of you are in a financial bind to find a PT that will work with him on a sliding scale (or if you live near a university that has a physical therapy/rehabilitation science dept. Mid back mobilization in any exercise can be tricky, so I think at least 4-5 consults to get a prescriptive movement plan would be quite beneficial.
Was his chiro doing adjustments only or exercises as well? I know chiro can be so, so costly. I saw one for over a year but luckily could claim much of it with my spouse's plan. So lucky!!

Hello,
My 18 year old son has been suffering from lower/mid chronic back pain for well over a year now. We decided to take him to a chiropractor versus our primary care simply because we wanted to avoid any sort medical prescription. The chiropractor took X-ray and was diagnose with a spinal subluxation as a result of adolescence and combination of him playing soccer and doing the majority of the corner throw ins. He came up with a 4 week plan 3 times per week at $50 per session. He did the 4 weeks of treatment but is not necessary feeling better, plus we cannot further support treatments at $50 per session. If anyone in ths forum can recommend a DVD that targets back pain to help manage it rather than medicate the pain? Thank you!
If you have a copy of the X-ray, my suggestion is to get an orthopedist consultation to verify the diagnosis. Then get a referral to a good physical therapist. I think your son will benefit from an exercise program to strengthen and rebalance the right muscles. It shouldn't be too costly. He can do the exercises by himself and go back once or twice to have the PT check on his progress. If the back is misaligned, you need to strengthen the muscles to support the spinal cord. Ballet and Barre type workouts are supposed to help with that, but I have no aptitude for them. Maybe somebody else can give some recommendations

Something else to try: Jill Miller
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Jill+Miller

Full disclosure: I own all but 2 of the DVDs Mary carries, the new therapy kit and the On Demand. They are in my cart right now. Only waiting to see if I want to add anything else. This woman knows her stuff and explains it all in excruciating details. I also own her therapy balls which work much better than tennis balls or golf balls. I'm still buying the full kits and giving the extra balls to my dad and a friend.
The sad part is I only do her when I'm in pain. She saved me from visiting doctors many times in the past. She has the right answer for everything. You just have to figure out the right part to do. Trial and error worked fine for me. DH who's been having low back pain for about 2 month started using segments from various DVDs about 2 weeks ago. He is doing much better and almost back to normal. Years of 3+ hours commute every day are taking their toll on us. I think we'll be doing more Jill in the future.

Do you think her shoulder DVD would help with a frozen shoulder? I'm very curious about those two kits too though. The On demand seems more reasonable but the other one looks like it will cover everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cupcake, you can try some of her (jill Miller) shoulder work on youtube. That's where I first came across her a few years back. It's excellent. Patrick & Carling and Linda Black also have some excellent ones on youtube.

This one, I do in bed

I also have - and use- the Jill Miller videos. I have the 5 and 10 minute "Yoga Tune Up" ones to help with some aches, but the three Yoga Links ones are the best. I got them from Amazon - needed yoga blocks, blanket, mat, a strap, and a long high-density foam roller. I tend to use these when I actually hurt. The downside is that they are long (almost an hour), and don't have premixes. Each has an even longer introductory video explaining each exercise and modifications, which are very well done. I have used the Core Integration and Hip Helpers successfully for lower back pain, and would use them more if they were shorter. One nice thing about them is that they include mp3s to do the workout without a screen once you've learned them.

I hope your son feels better soon!

Thank you ladies for all the recommendations! I'm still trying to decide witch one would best benefit my son.
Lourdes

I used Jill Miller Yoga Tune Up Knee Hab for my knee post torn meniscus surgery. It was really good. It saved me money on a physical therapist. My surgeon gave me a prescription for 3 days a week at a PT but , he said I could probably handle it myself. I have seen that Kelly Coffey has a back dvd but I have no idea how it is. I have a lot of neck and deltoid issues and I use a youtube with Kassandra Yin Yoga for Neck, shoulders, and back. This is really slow and really helps a lot.

I have herniated and bulging discs from my neck to my waist, and I tried to make my back stronger with rows, and it did not make a bit of difference. The only thing I can say is that I get an aerobic high when I do cardio, and I forget about the pain. I do have strong pain killers, but I can't take them every day, or else I will become addicted to them. I have never been addicted to any kind of pill, thank God.

Hi - My husband and I both have herniated discs and I have subluxations among other problems in my spine and I do a lot of Kundalini yoga to help my pain. Not sure if your son has an open enough mind to try it, but it helps. It has helped my husband tremendously also! Has a lot of core strengthening incorporated in it also.

Hello,
How about foam rolling? It helps me. Try Deep Conditioning, I think you can get it at Collage. He may have balls of tension causing the pain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.