Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Already a member? Simply log in above.

Drop weights or repeat?

Discussion in 'STS Forum' started by wookiemouse, Apr 30, 2018.

1. wookiemouse Member

I have completed STS 3x now, but took a break for the past year to do other programs (Strong - from the guys who did New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Jamie Eason’s lifting program). So I wasn’t slouching by any means, but I started day 1 of STS this morning and holy crap I can’t hit any of my recommended weights! And from my previous notes, I was getting all my reps last time I did the program. So my question is - should I keep repeating week 1 with the recommended 1RM weights until I can complete all the reps (ie, be back in my old form), or should I continue on with the program and just do lighter weights until I can complete all the reps, increasing the weights as needed? I don’t have time constraints, so repeating weeks isn’t a big deal. I just want to make sure I’m making progress!

2. tslop49 Cathlete

Mes 1 always seems a little distorted to me due to the length of the set..sometimes 20 reps plus with all the half reps etc. I always felt mes 1 was more endurance oriented to get you ready for the large volume of heavy sets that follow, and may not be indicative of your true strength levels. I always just did the best I could and " held on" until mes 2 arrived! It does show how good STS is for developing strength...hard to beat!

desertambrosia and ~Elsie like this.
  3. rmrmr Cathlete

I would suggest lightening the weights enough to allow you to complete all the reps but still be challenging. Meso 1 is all about endurance so it's important to get in all the reps. I just started STS myself and am doing the long version of the rotation where you do each week twice before moving on. Good luck.