Don't be fooled!

gidget1978

Cathlete
Last night we were ordering in some food from a pizza place near by. Its called Pizza Delight. I know its a franchise here in Canada but Im not sure about the U.S.
The last time we ate there I ordered their new salad. Its called the BBQ chopped chicken salad. Seemed pretty healthy. Just greens,some veggies,vinegrette dressing,chicken, and some beans and corn. Sounds pretty healthy doesn't it?
Well, last night I couldn't remember the name of it so before we went to order our food, I went online to find out what the name of the salad was. Plus I was going to order something else with it.
While looking all this up, I decided to check out the nutritional info! Wellllllllllll! This stupid salad had 743 cals, and 40 gms of fat! Seriously though! Im usually pretty good at picking out whats healthy and whats not. There was nothing about this salad that would scream unhealthy, no creamy dressing,no deep fried meat, seemed like a salad you could through together at home.They must have soaked their chicken in oil, thats the only thing I can figure.
I don't mind eating those cals if its worth it...if I am odering pizza or a burger, you know the calorie range is going to be up there. But don't try and fool me with some lettuce and chicken!
I wonder, how many people go out and eat and think they are doing half decent when really, the salad they just ordered has more fat and cals, then a slice of pizza?
Anyway, just a rant! I ended up ordering a panzerotti, which I thought would have been higher in cals but it was only 402~

Lori:)

Lori - isn't it crazy how they try to fool us especially when you're thinking that you're picking a better choice. 743 cal is probably almost 1/2 a days caloric intake for most people. It just goes to show that it's better to look up the nutitional information before hand. I think that was a great idea and will try to remember before I go out to a restaurant next time. (BTW, I'm from Canada too so know the franchise but rarely eat there - not really a pizza lover).

> While looking all this up, I decided to check out the
>nutritional info! Wellllllllllll! This stupid salad had 743
>cals, and 40 gms of fat!

Yikes!

I wonder how much dressing they put on it (and how much oil is in it?). Could you get the dressing on the side? How is the chicken prepared? Maybe oil is added, or it IS fried chicken?

There didn't appear to be a lot of dressing on the salad but Im sure you could get it on the side. I highly doubt that most of those cals came from the dressing though, I could see if it were a creamy dressing but it was far from drowned in dressing.
Its called a BBQ chicken salad, I guess it really isn't bbq'ed. Probably fried in a pan and then BBQ on top of it. I would have never guessed that it would have been that much! Oh well...guess I won't be eating that again. If Im gonna have that many cals it will be for cheesecake or McDonalds.:9
Lori:)

Lately I have been frustrated by how many restaraunt chains refuse to disclose calories, fat, etc. either on the menu or online ANYWHERE. There is no requirement! I find this infuriating.

Jen

It might be the dressing. I was noticing at home I have cream dressings and an oil based greek and they are pretty much the same in calorie count, although the feta may be the culprit??

I get very frusterated when eating out. I was yelling at the tv the other day when I seen a BK wrap that had deep fried hashbrowns inside it!! Who needs that! They know its unhealthy as sin yet come up with these crazy high calorie combinations! oh and the lady on the KFC chicken bowl commerical!!! Hmmmm layers of her artery clogging favorites!! Those bowls loaded with calories and fat!! Or what about the McD's McGriddiles!! I could go on and on.

Not to mention the "healthy alternative chicken breast or turkey sandwiches" yeah maybe when you don't have the bloody thing ozing mayo! I ask for no mayo all the time and get it about 20% of the time. Havn't these people heard of musturd or light dressing!

arrggghh. Thats my rant.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.