Does your hair fall out from your at home hair color?

BAM

Cathlete
I've been using Colorsilk and have good results with it but I've been losing my hair quite a bit over the years and it seems even more so when I color my hair. Do any of you experience this as well? I'm considering switching hair colors to one that uses less chemicals but am not sure if it would make a difference since I already have hair loss. Are there any good "natural" brands out there that anyone has noticed a difference with? I know there's Natural Instincts and a brand called Herbatint which uses much less chemicals but I haven't tried those yet. Please let me know what has worked for you.

I and every hair on my head that wants to stay there thank you! :D

Bam

BAM,

I have my hair coloured professionally so I am not sure about hair loss as a result of home colouring. I like to call myself a natural salon blonde. That said, I started noticing hair loss last year and attributed it to stress as I was doing a lot (work, school, family, volunteering, workouts etc..).

As it turns out - it was not stress related but due to perimenopause then full blown menopause. I tried everything and nothing really stopped the hair fall (that was stressful). No one really noticed but my hair was gradually thinning. My doctor was no help. Heck, she referred me to a dermatologist. In the end, I took a referral to someone to see a naturopath. My first visit was $225, the second one was $135. Hair fall stopped pretty much by the second visit. She got my blood work from my doctor, told me I was in menopause and experiencing low iron (I have never had low iron in my life). Also, I had been waking up in the night - every night for several months - at least 5 times a night - which wasn't like me.

In the end, the naturopath started me on liquid iron 2-3 times a week (taken after eating) and on one teaspoon of dong quai/day (tastes awful but oh well). That was it. No more hair fall, no more waking up in the night. I have never experienced hot flashes. I have one more follow up appt.

What helps with hair growth is 2-3 times/week give your scalp a massage with a mix of coconut oil/castor oil (2 parts coconut to one part castor) for 10-20 minutes while watching tv. You can even sleep with the stuff in your hair just protect your pillow. You hair will be beautiful and not weighted down. If you do this while seeking help for the underlying cause ('cos there is one), hopefully your hair will return.

For me, seeing the naturopath was worth the money - which wasn't much in the end.

Good luck.

I hope this isn't too much information.

CeceFifi, with me, there's no such thing as TMI, ever!!! :D Thank you so much for sharing your story and suggestions. I have been to many naturopaths, holistic practitioners, etc. Unfortunately, I'm a challenging case. There is major hair loss on my mother's side so I know that's part of it but like you said, there is an underlying cause. My hormones have had major changes which effected my hair more and, while we're on that subject, my body and skin on my body. It almost happened overnight. I have developed so much flab on my stomach and my back. Now I know what the bra bulge is all about but actually in my case, it's lot's o' back bulge. I want to know who's responsible for this and how I can make it go away! :mad: Anyway, I digress.

I've used coconut oil on my hair but not with castor oil. I will give it a try but I've found that it takes a lot of shampooing to get all the oil out of my hair which loosens up more hairs. *sigh*

Thank you again for sharing the info. It is much appreciated!!!

Bam

Hormones can definitely cause hair loss (peri-menopause or thyroid). It's a very common complaint from the older woman at my hair salon. :(
Have you tried taking biotin? I noticed my hair thinning and had my hormones & thyroid checked and my blood work came back normal.

I take biotin now and it is helping. I started out with 3,000 mcg and have worked my way up to 10,000mcg daily. Some people complain of acne when taking biotin, but I have not experienced any skin problems. I think it's because I started low and worked my dose up. I also take it with zinc.

Amazon.com: Natrol Biotin 10,000mcg, Maximum Strength, 100 Tablets: Health & Personal Care

lrusso, yes I have had my thyroid tested. There are some issues with it and I have taken things throughout the years to balance it but it still could use some improvement. Thanks for asking!

fit44, you know, I'm aware of biotin but have never tried it in higher doses. Can you tell me how long it took before you noticed results? Is your hair growing back or is it just stopping hair loss? Also, do you take your dose once a day or do you/have you divided it up? Thanks so much!

RapidBreath, I started taking Silica Plus by Kal which is a horestail supplement. I took it for 45 days and since I noticed nothing, decided not to get more. Are you taking straight horsetail caps and if so, how many milligrams do you take and how often and how long before you noticed results? Aside from growing all :)D) your hair, did it do anything for hair loss and did any new growths occur? Thank you!

Thanks ladies for all of your help. It's very hard since I've always taken care of myself since I was quite young and it seems that I'm not able to have an impact on what's happening. :(

Bam

Bam, it took 2 months for me to notice a difference because I had to build to the higher dose. I've read the lower doses are not as effective. Don't confuse mcg with mg or gram!
I take it once a day with my largest meal of the day (breakfast). Many people take it twice a day. I hate taking pills all day, so I take it in one dose.
I have new growth and my shedding has decreased.:)

Thanks, fit44. So it seems that you didn't start noticing results until you built up to the 10,000mcg which took 2 months. (I'm one of those people that likes to know as MUCH info as possible, lol.) I appreciate all of the info. I've been to many holistic practitioners but because of finances, I can't at the moment so I'm figuring out what I can do on my own. I'm so glad that you found the results that you did. At least you know that you could and did do something to help your situation.

Thanks again!
Bam

Thanks again, fit44. I'm reading the reviews now. One of them talks about that there is a CA Prop 65 warning on the label. I don't know what that is but will look into it. The reviewer said that the company stated that warning is on a lot of products but didn't get a satisfying answer as to why.

I'll be busy reading now. :D

Bam

Thanks again, fit44. I'm reading the reviews now. One of them talks about that there is a CA Prop 65 warning on the label. I don't know what that is but will look into it. The reviewer said that the company stated that warning is on a lot of products but didn't get a satisfying answer as to why.

I'll be busy reading now. :D

Bam

I've used two different brands and neither had CA Prop 65 warnings.

Chiming in again:

I took biotin (5000 mcg's/day) for 1.5 years. My hair definitely grew in quicker and a bit stronger (dying curly hair blonde and straightening it most days is very damaging) and was breaking way less. That said, I have never read that biotin helps with hair fall - just hair growth. I finally stopped using biotin because it wasn't helping with the hair fall and massaging was helping with hair growth. I have also read that you can take up to 15000 mcg's/day, however, this amount is not recommended in north america - but is in france I think.

Inquiring about thyroid is good advice. I had that checked and all was good. Also, my father's sisters had very thinning hair but - they also had stressful lives, seriously repressed emotions (not kidding) and likely just accepted the hair loss. my own sisters do not have thinning hair but they have had hot flashes, weight gain and trouble sleeping. they do not see a naturopath.

The naturopath told me that even a slight difference in iron levels (even if medical model sees the number as 'average') can have an affect on so many areas of the body. She said liquid iron is more easily absorbed so that's what I take now every couple of days. I am also taking viviscal twice daily. I have not seen a difference yet but it has only been about 6 weeks. I will likely give this 6 mths. I have read many great reviews on viviscal (has horsetail and silica). Forget about rogaine, minoxidil, nutricap etc..

And BAM, re: your comment about feeling a bit stressed when massaging the scalp to stimulate growth - I understand. I've had weeks where it was just too distressing to see what fell into the sink after the massage. When you have less hair fall - maybe try it again.

One last thing (maybe) - Rene Furterer (something like that) has a line of products for massaging and leaving in the hair too - that I tried for several months. I found it very helpful for growth. Maybe look them up too.

CeciFifi, I just ordered biotin 5000mcg. I got the dbiotin which is the natural form but I read where people have good results with whichever kind they get. I read one review where someone said it constipated her terribly. That is one are where I DON'T need that to happen! :eek: My iron levels in the past have been fine but I will keep that in mind the next time my blood gets tested.

lrusso, please let us know how the black currant is working. I know it's good for many things but hadn't heard of it for hair loss. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks again for all of your responses!
Bam

Depending on what color you are going for and how adventurous you are there is henna and herbal colors; Lush, Rainbow and Light Mountain come to mind of already premixed color brands... they have henna, cassia and indigo to achieve the colors and are good for you hair, add shine and strength.

my doctor recommended a good fish oil (i use nordic naturals), multi-vitamin, and hair, skin, and nails formula from gnc. my hair stopped falling out, some grew back, but not to where it used to be.

Nightowl81, I used henna in my teens (not too long ago ;)) but because I'm lightening my hair and covering up those, cough, grays, henna wouldn't work for me.:( I will check out the others you mentioned.

lkl, supplementation is a great thing. I'm glad you at least have less hair that has fallen out along with some re-growth. I hope you continue to get good results.

Thank you ladies! :)
Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.