Does anyone else have a pitiful tuck jump!?

Be careful what you wish for...

It just occurred to me that this could be a very dangerous thread. We are giving Cathe all sorts of ideas on how to best torture us...ummmm, I mean *train* us! A quote from Cardio Kicks comes to mind: "If it were easy, you'd be bored. I'm here to challenge you!" :eek:

I actually like and can do the switch kicks! That's probably the only thing I can do that has been mentioned! Oh I like the ones to that you kick from side to side also in Super cuts not sure what that's called.

This 6'2" gal has a pitiful tuck jump as well! I've never been able to get my knees high for fear of not getting my feet down in time. We all struggle with something, right?

I used to have great tuck jumps and air jacks until I hurt my knee. I am so afraid of re-injuring my knee that my jumping is now pathetic!! It really is frustrating doing everything low impact when I feel I should be jumping, better safe than injured and laid up again!!

Another move that's hard for us long legged people are roll ups where you squat from a standing position, roll onto your back and back up to a standing position (what are those called?). I can only do them if I roll back onto my step platform. That gives me about a 4 inch height difference, which would be the same as if my legs were 4 inches shorter.
;)

Is this why I can't do them?! Thank you for giving me a valid excuse! :p
I am going to try your modification next time - thanks.

As for tuck jumps - there isn't as much air beneath my feet as there used to be, but I try. Kind of like when Cathe says "pretend there is a soccer beneath your feet....or a tennis ball....maybe a golf ball?" (or something along those lines) as we are jumping over the step. I am just glad I am still jumping at all.

I think the older you get, a tiny bit of fear creeps in. What if I fall? At almost 58 I get a bit nervous jumping on to the step with 2 risers and my tuck jumps are not so high but in my own mind I am flying!!!!!

Kenja
I think you are right! I never gave it a thought if I fell before I'd hop right on back up, but when I was told by the doctor that my bones was becoming less dense then I started freaking out! One day I was walking down the ramp at moms no one was there to see but I had my military uniform on and I hardly ever walk talk and proud but with that you kind suppose to so there I was then all the sudden my right foot is in front and my left foot is bent behind me lol on my butt. I was not hurt at all just slipped on the ramp! But I had to sit there for a few seconds to assess my damage to make SURE I didn't brake anything when just a few days before that if the doc would have not said a thing I'd have got right back up. I was really laughing cause I kinda look like a short teddy bear in my uniform and I thought gee so glad no one saw that!!

Renee, you are such a good sport. Your posts make me smile.

Actually, high-impact exercise is good for maintaining good bone density, so keep on trucking!

Kenja, I wiped out on two separate occasions while doing low impact--Cathe's cross country skiing on the disks. Thank goodness, both times I was taken by surprise and didn't tense up before hitting the dirt. No injuries, gave myself a good laugh.

I think the older you get, a tiny bit of fear creeps in. What if I fall? At almost 58 I get a bit nervous jumping on to the step with 2 risers and my tuck jumps are not so high but in my own mind I am flying!!!!!

You definitely should be cognizant of this as you age. I fell over my step doing a step workout about 3 years ago and broke my wrist. I was 54 at the time. I hadn't seated the top of the step properly on the risers, and when my foot hit it at just the right angle the top slipped off. I fell backwards and put my wrist out to break my fall. Broken wrist. 6 weeks in a cast. 6 weeks of therapy and about a year to get back flexion and strength in my wrist, arm and hand grip. Not fun.

I am super careful about stuff like that now. I refuse to do certain kinds of jumps because I am proof positive of what can happen in an instant.... no matter how fit or strong you are.

You know what I realized was pitiful today were my seasaw pushups. I have this crazy fear of my face crashing into the floor and even let out a squeal with each rep. I don't know why.

I finally (semi) mastered the pushups on the ball, with the ball under my pelvis, knees, then feet, but the seasaw pushups where my legs go up in the air while my face goes to the floor scare me. Part of it might be they are for triceps and that is probably my second weakest body part.

No, no, no! I will take a tuck jump any day. It's those burpees to a straddle push up, on the gliding discs that get me every time. Cathe seems to insert those bad boys when you are so fatigued you can't move. I can grind out about eight to twelve. Then I do a face plant, and that's all she wrote!! The next thing I remember is the dogs licking my face. LOL!:eek:

At least we can all have a laugh at ourselves while realising, with a lot of sense, that exercise can be fraught with danger. As long as we keep on pushing and most importantly enjoying ourselves!!!!!:D

What's a tuck jump? Just kidding! Haha! I agree with Gobias....put some mirrors in your workout space aaaannnndd Holy Crap the truth is IN YOUR FACE!!! No escaping it! Don't watch yourself too much or you'll miss your step and face plant! Aaahhhh the joys of exercise. Gotta love it.

I have actually laughed out loud at myself when I attempt certain moves that I really can't do! I find it hysterical when I see my reflection barely leaving the ground and everyone else is seriously airborn! I think it's funny and giggle like a 5 year old.

Lol true! I think everything mostly in life can be met head on with humor and it is a medicine !
Gets me through so much ! I would love to have a really good belly laugh that I have not had lately!

It just occurred to me that this could be a very dangerous thread. We are giving Cathe all sorts of ideas on how to best torture us...ummmm, I mean *train* us! A quote from Cardio Kicks comes to mind: "If it were easy, you'd be bored. I'm here to challenge you!" :eek:

Heeee he he he he heeee!
:eek:

Awesome Thread

Can I tell you that I just thoroughly enjoyed this thread?

First, I think its awesome that a tuck jump gets this much "air time" in a thread, ha.

Yes, that one "little" jump sure has a great story behind all those who have attempted it. Thank you for never giving up and always trying your very best. All heights and variations are welcome. The fact that you attempt to do the jump is what counts. Not how high, not how low, but that you always give it a go!

So proud of you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.