Does Anyone Else Get that Icky Aftertaste with Splenda?

smoogy

Cathlete
I thought this was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. However, after baking a few things with it and adding it to my protein shakes, I decided the aftertaste is intolerable. I still see a lot of recipes with it, which is weird since most people can't stand the Nutrasweet aftertaste. Am I using too much or what?

Marla

I haven't found a sweetener yet that doesn't have an icky aftertaste. Maybe we just have a lot icky aftertaste tolerance?

And I can't use Aspartame. It gives me a migraine. So it's the real thing for me, or nothing at all.

Marla,
You're not the only one. I get that aftertaste in my mouth no matter how much or how little they put sucralose in food and beverages. That's one of the biggest reasons why I am against sucralose. It's too much of a chemical taste and it's not a pleasant taste either. I do not understand why the taste doesn't bother a lot of people. I prefer real sugar over that sh*t. If you want a protien shake without sucralose in it and 90% of protien powders have sucralose in it....Jay Robb makes the best one and it doesn't have sucralose in it.

Lisa

I never noticed the foul taste of sweet-n-low until I tried Equal. Then I never noticed the aftertaste in aspartame until I tried Splenda. Maybe I'm just desperate for a good substitute. I eat Splenda by the bucket it seems. Tea, smoothies, oatmeal/egg white pancakes, sauteed crickets (just kidding Marla!)

I don't think sugar is evil in moderation (except during a "no sweets" June!) But ever since I cleaned up my diet and banned sugar (for now), Splenda is my lifesaver.

:9

Although, I have to add that I'm with Shelley on the Coke thing. I'll take plain old Coke over Diet any day. And the new Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda tastes horrible.

I eat Splenda by the bucket it seems. Tea,
>smoothies, oatmeal/egg white pancakes, sauteed crickets (just
>kidding Marla!)

Oohhh! SO that's the secret, Joni? Hmmm.

>Although, I have to add that I'm with Shelley on the Coke
>thing. I'll take plain old Coke over Diet any day. And the new
>Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda tastes horrible.

I started my dis on Splenda without letting you know first, I am chain-drinking DietCoke Fiend! AND, I do prefer it over regular coke and will not try it with Splenda.

Marla:eek: ;-)

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners too, but my gf and tried lemon slices sprinkled with Splenda a couple times and it was delicious! It tastes just like a lemon drop candy!!

Angie

Hey! i LOVE Splenda! I couldn't live without it! I notice no aftertaste. I've had the DC with it too and it tastes just the same to me as regular DC.

jes

I'm with you Jes--I love my Splenda! I make a really good iced tea with it (Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice--yummy!), and it goes in my coffee every morning.

i don't get any after-taste with the little packets... however.. i bought a bag of the stuff you can measure and cook with like real sugar.. ICK! NASTY! the taste was NOT the same as the splenda packets! i'm back to putting packets in my oatmeal and on my cereal!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

No, aftertaste for me. I love the new diet Coke with splenda. It is actually the first 'diet' drink that I like/love. And I hate the aftertastes of the other substitute sweetners.

Sorry that you find it to have an aftertaste.:(

Hey! This is my "get through one more interval" treat - a big gulp of black iced tea flavored with Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice + bucket o' Splenda!

"Little sips of water" - ha. Giant guzzles of sweet tea! Works every time ;-)

Maybe those of you who notice an aftertaste are "supertasters." Some people are more sensitive to some tastes than other people (and also usually find brussel sprouts, and even broccoli, to be bitter).

The only things I've tried with Splenda (I decided it's not something I want to ingest: "from sugar," yes, just like some plastics are made from soybeans, IMO), are some fruit-flavored waters. There was kind of an unpleasant taste to them. Not intolerable, not "aweful," just noticeable and somewhat artificial tasting.

Ugh. I hate those fruit-flavored waters too. I also am not a fan of artificial sweeteners because I also get a bad aftertaste But, the thing that tastes the worse to me is cilantro. It tastes like soap. I have heard that this is some kind of allergy.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Hmmm. I don't know. I love broccoli, raw or cooked as well as brussel sprouts.

I used to like that flavored water (what is it called?) but after a few times drinking it, I did realize it had an unpleasant aftertaste.

It's very unfortunate because I do like banana nut bread, pumpkin bread & all sorts of fruit & nut breads & muffins.

Marla

I haven't, but it's only in my coffee in the morning. Actually, it's in the creamer i use in my coffee. I love Diet Coke - Lime, but I didn't realize they switched it to Splenda. Hmm, I'll have to check tomorrow. i used to drink way too much DC's, so I cut it back to 2-3 a week, if that. You know I don't really miss it.

I haven't baked with it yet. I don't think that I'll give that a try after reading some of these posts.

Dallas

I just today had a fruit flavored water at the hospital flavored with Splenda and it did have an aftertaste. I have always drank diet soda with a multitude of sweeteners but have noticed such a strong aftertaste! I could not even finish the water. It tasted like watered down lemonade with an artificial flavor.

RE: Does Anyone Else Get that Icky Aftertaste with Sple...

Yes, and it's safety is still a questionable. Checkout the January 2005 issue of Alternative Medicine magazine. They did a great article comparing natural sugar substitutes. This is where I found out about xylitol. It's made from birch trees and it's great. The only problem is that too much of it can cause digestive distress. You can purchase a box of 100 or 50 packets of it and it's very convenient. I buy it from Vitamin Shoppe or online at http://www.xlear.com/xylosweet/ "Xylosweet" is the brand I buy offline. Check the website out it gives good info about it. This has been a godsend for me. I have been using this since February. I just keep several packets in my pocketbook. It does have limitations in terms of baking but there is absolutely no aftertaste. I love it, give it a try.

I think I'll try this, Lisa & that tea you were telling Kathryn you were happy to have tried. I usually don't have time to shop online 'til the weekend, so thanks for the heads up.

Marla

No it is gross. I have tried it with tea and and still ended up putting a pack of sugar because of the after taste. My mom thinks it is great though.I guess it is just your preference. I am glad I know not to use it with my baking recipes.

I just started buying Diet Coke with Splenda. I liked it the first time I bought it, but last night I had a glass without anything to eat with it...I didn't like it. It has a bizarre taste. I'll stick with my Nutrasweet. I know...I know...but we all must have at least one vice, right?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.