Do you wear perfume?

If so, please do us all a favor and don't overdo the perfume. Especially if it's a cheap perfume.
I was in the store today and between the woman with an overabundance of perfume and the woman with body odor, well, let's just say I lost my appetite and wanted to puke. Why do some wear so much perfume? What are they trying to cover up? Uh, maybe I don't want to know.

I rarely wear perfume and if I do, it's just a small squirt and it isn't cheap. (I LOVE Clinique Happy Heart!)

Have a great evening!
Shirley

I spray some in the air and then go under the spray to catch it on myself. Very small amount, but perfect amount of scent none the less.
Janie

I don't wear it, but anytime I get around someone who does my nose burns and stuffs up. It's nice now that many people have stopped using it. For years it was agonizing for me to sit in a closed conference room with a half dozen people wearing perfume or cologne.

I don't wear perfume to work, out of consideration to my patients, but I wills wear it when I go out & only aplly it like Janie. I wear Poison or Hugo Boss Woman.

Marla

It gives me a headache either on me or someone else. Especially if they've overdone it.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

I love Tommy Girl too. I haven't had that one in a while, but when I did I loved it. I was really intrigued when Cookiebaby posted a while ago about Philosophy's Falling In Love. She said everybody and their brother was following her and complimenting her. I found out later it smells just like cotton candy. Maybe that's why the men love it--it smells like food. :)

At the moment I am using Jo Malone's Grapefruit. It's clean, light, and fresh.

Lori

NOOOOOOO! NO, I do not wear perfume!!! I am allergic. Well, I guess I'm not technically "allergic", but I have a severe reaction to fragrance. Some fragrances (perfumes, colognes, scented lotions, scented candles...it doesn't really matter where the fragrance is coming from) ...anyway, some fragrances cause me to have an asthma attack; some give me a severe headache or migraine; some make me nauseous; some make me light-headed and dizzy; and some give me any combination of these symptoms.

Guess what, folks: These are all symptoms of toxic exposure. I'll bet you didn't know that most fragrances are made of toxic materials, did you? Yep, having a biochemist for a dad has really opened my eyes to a great many things that many people just take for granted are safe for you. I've researched the effects of fragrance because of my sensitivity and found all kinds of interesting information about why so many people are developing toxic reactions to fragrance now. For example, did you know that fragrances cause more indoor air pollution than cigarette smoke? Makes you wonder whether or not we should be allowing people to wear fragrance in closed spaces.

Now, let me just state that if you are one of those considerate folks who walks under the mist of one spritz of perfume or cologne, you're scent probably won't bother me too badly. But if you are one of those folks who sprays both wrists, your neck, behind both your knees, then twice over the front of your body for good measure...ummmm...you've way overdone it. We don't need to smell you from across the office. We don't even need to smell you in the next cubicle over. And, we don't need to smell you 4 hours after you've left the building. The only person who should be smelling your scent is the person who is standing about 1-3 feet away from you. If your scent reaches any further than that, then you need to drastically modify your perfume/cologne application technique.

Be considerate to those of us who are sensitive to fragrance and get sick from it. You don't want to be the one responsible for sending me to the hospital with a fatal asthma attack, do you? You don't want to be the one who makes going to work a living nightmare for me, do you? You don't want to send me home from work every day with a migraine, do you? Thanks for your understanding.

I don't wear commercial perfumes any more.....ever since I found these unique oil blends from www.BlackPhoenixAlchemyLab.com (don't let the Gothic undertones scare you - all kinds of people find these blends intriguing)...they specialize in gothic themed, dark scents, but they have a huge selection and many limited editions come out all of the time, as well as a monthly "lunar oil" blend on each full moon. Beth is the owner and is extremely talented. Prior to using her blends, I used Essenseoils.com blends from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz whom I discovered when I was visiting Boston one year. She has since moved to Colorado and runs an internet site. I much prefer oils to alcohol based products, as I have dry skin.

>some fragrances cause me to have an asthma attack; some give me a
>severe headache or migraine; some make me nauseous; some make
>me light-headed and dizzy; and some give me any combination of
>these symptoms.

Me, too! Certain scents give me an instant migraine. Others make my asthma act up. Some do both! I thought I was a nut!

I used to teach seventh graders, and at Christmas time all the little girls would be trading bath and body products. I finally had to ban them, both in the classroom and in the halls. And believe me, seventh grade girls do not understand using fragrance with a light touch.

I do wear perfume for special occasions, but I just spritz my hairbrush. I figure a tiny amount of scent will be released when I move my head, but it won't be overpowering.

Shari

I love Zen. Once I had some guy ask me what kind I was wearing and he thought I said, "Sin". LOL. He was a weirdo anyways. Nothing like having a stranger ask you what you are wearing.

Charlotte~~

I wear Simple White from The Gap. I am also a "spritz in the air and walk through it" kind of person. I can't STAND when people are soaked in scent. We have one guy who comes to our office for meetings and I had to ask the guy he meets with to hold their meetings in a boardroom away from my desk, because he wears so much cologne that I get a migraine from it.

I remember when I used to wear Guess perfume. My Mom asked me what I was wearing and I said "Guess". She said "I don't know. Christian Dior?":p

I wear Body by Victoria or Very Sexy for Her2 (both from Victoria's Secret). I rarely wear them and when I do I walk into a spray.

I wear Escada (which I love so much I bought the male version for the BF) and sometimes Clinique Happy. I always wear perfume unless I am going to the gym.

A trick I learned from a magazine a long time ago: after you shower, immediately apply unscented moisturizer (you should do this when your skin is still wet), then spritz your perfume in the air and walk through it. This makes the scent last a lot longer without applying half the bottle. :)

Cheers,
Marie

Speaking of scents. I forgot to add- I have a Lampe Berger, and it makes me gag. I get a headache, and my stomach hurts. I love them in other people's homes. I must have the wrong scents (Southern Vanilla and Ocean Breeze), because my whole family becomes sick when I light it.

Lori

Nope. Most give me a headache. The only scent I'll wear is that of lotion, often Bath & Body Works. Even then, there are only a few scents I can tolerate. I don't like it when I can smell someone across the room!

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I wear scented lotions. I really love Fresh Milk, & also Body Drench. They're not flowery or too sweet--nice, light scents.

My favorite is DKNY Be Delicious and Lancome's Miracle. (That's DH's favorite too). I just put on a couple squirts in the morning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.