Do you really have to do an active rest week?

wadejen

Cathlete
Okay, in less than 2 weeks is my active rest week. Do you really think I need it? Meso 1 is endurance, but before I did meso 1, I completed marathon training program. I feel like endurance is a drop in the bucket to me. I am just ready to jump into meso 2.

Would it hurt my results to skip rest week? or Rest is needed?

Any input would be great? and I have already dropped 5 lbs and seeing some muscle tone.

Thanks for any input.

Cathe scheduled the rest week for a reason. I think I would err on the side of caution and welcome it with open arms! That doesn't mean you do nothing all week though. While not weight training, you could still go for a run, a swim, walk through the woods, do some yoga, etc.

It must be difficult to contemplate doing "nothing" after marathon training, but meso 2 could really pack a wallop for you: wouldn't you want to be well rested for that?

Take the week and enjoy it!

Clare

Were you using high enough 1RMs? I found I had to retest on several exercises to get the numbers that would wear me out - I wasn't used to this style of exercise, and once I learned how to able to maintain the pace I discovered I'd been lifting too light.

That said, it's a truism that we build during rest periods and not during workouts, so I would not short your rest. And course, active rest does not mean'do nothing'. I used mine to experiment with all kinds of cardio, and it was as much a mental break as a break from pushing muscles, and made me that much more eager for Meso 2.

Great job on doing so well with Meso 1!

I believe that I will take an active rest week. I upped my weight a little too and that has made me sore. I want to make sure I get out everything I can with this program. Thanks for the input.

Jennifer

I am glad I did take the recovery rest

Okay, I did legs yesterday. My butt is talking to me today.:eek: I upped my weights too and pushing myself harder. I will be looking for a recovery week after this meso cycle.

Jen

I was worried about the rest weeks too, but I also find I welcome them! I end up just doing cardio all week and no weights, and when I am starting up the next round of STS, I feel refreshed and ready to go!

I just did cardio..... when i went on to the next CYCLE wow i felt it....

it is necessary ..... take the week off.. VINCE GIRONDA ..ALWAYS HAD REST DAYS AND
REST Weeks...

I was stupid and did 6 days of intense cardio during my active rest week. I started Meso 2 today...WOW do I wish I had taken last week "off"!! Meso 2 is way more challenging than 1 IMO.

I was stupid and did 6 days of intense cardio during my active rest week. I started Meso 2 today...WOW do I wish I had taken last week "off"!! Meso 2 is way more challenging than 1 IMO.

Don't burn yourself out -- go ahead and take that rest week this week instead, doing light cardio, taking walks, etc. Meso 2 will be ready and waiting for you next week.

My first time through, I only did the 3 month program, and I skipped the first rest week. I too had just completed a marathon. It didn't hurt me. My second time through, I did the 6 month program and really hit the weights hard. I was exhausted by the time my rest weeks came around, and I couldn't wait to take them. I also saw results my second time through where I really didn't the first time. I think I was just putting more into the program the second time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.