Do you ever just want to throw everything out and start over?

Govtgirl

Cathlete
As I survey the junkheap that my basement has become, I'm too tired to even think about sorting through stuff and organizing it, I just want to dump the whole mess and start over. Which isn't exactly the frugal thing to do, but it sure would feel good to just have it done and over with.

I know I could sell some stuff on ebay, and I have in the past, but most of it is too junky to bother with. And some of it is still stuff that we would need (picture hangers, wrapping paper, manila folders, sandpaper) but i'ts just all over the place and annoying me no end, I swear I am tempted to get box of big black garbage bags, dump the whole kit-n-kaboodle, and buy new stuff as we need it.

Sigh....where do I even start??:(

Oh yes! I have 3 year old twins and the plastic and parts are out of control!! I often go on throw out binges...then, my kids ask for the smallest thing that mamma threw away! haha

I am recycling crazy-person, but sometimes you have to give yourself a pass without guilt and just pitch.

Good luck!

I'd buy the black trash bags and put everything usable in them and donate it all to Goodwill. That way someone will use it. It's easy and quick. :)

See how much is left after that and then decide what's worth keeping and what to toss. My guess is you'll give Goodwill 75-80% of the stuff so organizing what's left will be much less daunting.

You will feel AWESOME after you do this! It's like tackling a super hard workout--you feel like a million bucks afterward!

I have two TV's I need to get rid of--they are 27" cube tubes. (as deep as they are wide :p) They are on my list for Goodwill this week. Just need help from DH to load them in my car!

I'd buy the black trash bags and put everything usable in them and donate it all to Goodwill. That way someone will use it. It's easy and quick. :)

And tax deductible!!! My rule of thumb is if I didn't know I had it and if it hasn't been used in 6 months or a year then off to donation it goes.
I'm a little nutty though I actually like cleaning. :eek:

We are in the process of moving, our stuff is in storage now, we literally threw out truck loads of junk and donated a few truck loads of usable items to different charities, and still managed to have 11,000 pounds of stuff to move.

I had stuff in that basement that I had not touched in upwards of 9 years.

It felt good to throw it out/donate that much STUFF.

Some charities will come and pick up your items curbside, that was very convenient too. Salvation army in many locations will also schedule a pick up time with you, sometimes it's a few weeks out, which would give you a deadline to clean out your basement. They will also take old furniture if you need to get rid of larger items.

Pay someone to do it - I swear, housecleaning should only ever be done for money.

I agree, BUT a housecleaner can't sort through things, and that's often where the problem is.

(And if I ever hired someone to clean, I'd have to get my house in order first, LOL!)

I just thought of this (and I'm going to check into it as well!) : in some places, there are people who sell their services selling things on Ebay. They list your stuff, take care of all the sales, shipping, etc., and take a commission. I'm not sure how much of a commission, but even if it's 50%, it might be worth it!

(I don't know why I didn't remember that before. I have lots of stuff to get rid of that I don't want to just junk.)

Oh Govtgirl, I hear you!
I'm getting ready to move from a townhouse with 3 huge walk-in closets and a 2 car garage to a house with miniscule closets and a 1 car garage. I've lived here for 15 years and the accumulation is truly alarming. My plan is to rent out the townhouse after I move but I'm thinking I might have to keep it as a storage facility!

Sheila

I hear ya. Sometimes I wish for a tornado to come through and take everything away (except for my dogs, fish, accordion, piano, DH and myself.)

I worry about when my mom passes someday (hopefully many many years from now). Her house is 4 floors crammed full of junk (to me) plus an oversized 2 car garage. I don't know how I will deal with all that stuff. I'm just dreading that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.