Do "split" routines really work???

Nanbo

Cathlete
I just started doing Gym Styles (can I just put in on "OW!!!!" here?) and am following a somewhat modified rotation that FitnessFreak put out a while back. I noticed that there seems to be a lot of days between working out certain muscle groups:
Week 1
Day 1: Chest & tri’s workout; abs
Day 2: 60 min. of Cardio
Day 3: Leg workout
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Back, shoulder & bicep workout; abs
Day 6: 45-60 min. cardio
Day 7: Leg workout

Week 2
Day 1: Rest
Day 2: All upper body workout; abs
Day 3: 60 min. cardio
Day 4: Lower body workout
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: 60 min. cardio workout; abs
Day 7: Chest & Back workout

Week 3
Day 1: 60 min. cardio
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Tri’s & Bi’s workout; abs
Day 4: 45-60 min. cardio
Day 5: Leg & Shoulder workout; abs
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: 60 min. cardio

Week 4
Day 1: Chest & Tri’s workout
Day 2: 60-70 min. cardio
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Back, Shoulders & Bicep workout; abs
Day 5: Leg workout
Day 6: 60 min. cardio
Day 7: Rest
I have been doing a total body weight routine 3X/week (STS TB or High Reps)with cardio on the 3 days between (Intensity, Step Blast, KPC, or a HiiT). Every once in a while I'd do Lower Body Blast in place of one of the total body DVDs.
How does a split routine give such awesome muscle building results when you're only hitting certain muscles once per week?::confused:
I still consider myself a relative newbie to Cathe and I am crazy about her workouts! I love the results I'm beginning to see and CRAVE more! I'm hoping that some of you long time Cathletes can enlighten me and put me on the path of understanding. Try as I might, I just can't wrap my brain around it!:eek:

Hi, Nancy!

Yes, they do work, for several reasons:

1) recovery is important for muscle growth (to repair microtears in the muscle) and splits give sufficient recovery time

2) when you work only 2 or 3 muscles groups during a session, you are spending more time on those muscle groups than you would in a full-body workout

3) each workout includes one of the three largest muscle groups (legs, back, chest), and working those large muscle groups stimulates human growth hormone production, which aids in muscle growth.

I've personally found that splits like this give me better results than full-body workouts.

Try it for 3 weeks and see how it works for you.

I didn't know #3...that's cool! So is it exclusively those large groups that stimulate this growth hormone, or is it just that the large groups stimulate more of it?

I was thinking something similar to what you put in your second point...in a split routine you're probably using heavier weights and just working those muscles harder in general.

What they've learned is that when the body is stressed, it goes into healing mode, and that healing doesn't just occur to the stressed body part, but happens through the entire body. Therefore, if someone works the right arm exclusively for a few weeks, the left arm will also gain strength, although not as much as in the trained arm. Pretty cool, hey? So, in a split routine, not only do you hit each body part HARD once per week, the rest of the body gets stronger just by being along for the ride.

I knew I could count on you ladies!!!! Thank you so much for responding to my post and answering my question! Very informative and MOTIVATING!!!! Kathryn, I WILL stick with this because I truly believe in Cathe and all the Cathletes who support her! My calves are still screaming from GSL on Saturday! Sunday I did GSBSB and my biceps are letting me know that they have finally woken up! Last night was cardio (Intensity!) and tonight it's legs again. Tomorrow I'll be doing GSCT for the first time (my triceps are a target area for me) so I am super fired up and getting my game face on!
Thanks for your enlightening information! I love the whole growth hormone thing!

What they've learned is that when the body is stressed, it goes into healing mode, and that healing doesn't just occur to the stressed body part, but happens through the entire body. Therefore, if someone works the right arm exclusively for a few weeks, the left arm will also gain strength, although not as much as in the trained arm. Pretty cool, hey? So, in a split routine, not only do you hit each body part HARD once per week, the rest of the body gets stronger just by being along for the ride.

WOW! That's wild!:D

Nancy you'll love the GS chest & triceps, it's my fave! I'm resting from STS but I'll be doing GS series in couple of weeks. I love your rotation BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

Keeping in mind that everyone is individual and a lot of what I've read from professional trainers has proven NOT to be true for me... Most trainers whose lit I've read (Waterbury, Ferrugia, Romaniello, etc...) say nobody should be doing splits until they already have a solid base from full body workouts three days a week, with a break in between. Waterbury preaches this even for advanced people like body builders (though they largely disregard the suggestion as ridiculous [i.e., wimpy]). I wish I could remember which trainer said it p*sses him off to see unfit people in the gym on "arm day." It was quite a rant , as I recall.

Nancy you'll love the GS chest & triceps, it's my fave! I'm resting from STS but I'll be doing GS series in couple of weeks. I love your rotation BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

I'm doing GS Chest & Triceps for the first time tonight and I'm really looking forward to it! Last night was the 2nd time for GS Legs and I upped the weights this time so I really felt the exhaustion (I don't like to go too heavy my first time througha routine...need to get my bearings!). Today I feel GREAT!!! Just a bit of soreness, but nothing like that first time!

I just have to say that this wonderful rotation is from FitnessFreak (I think back in 2007). I found it on another thread with a generic layout for getting strong and lean. I think it's posted by "christophz"? on the blog. Just want to make sure she gets the credit!;)

I would agree with this as well.

This is a very good word of caution! I think too many people leap into routines, rotations, etc. without being prepared for them physically. I've been doing aerobic weight training for about 25 years, but Cathe's workouts really kicked my butt! I've been doing the total body weights/cardio alternation (with Cathe's DVDs) for about 10 months now and have some muscle development coming along (under my fluffy layer!) along with much more strength and endurance than I've ever had! I hope I'm ready for this next challenge!:eek:

Maybe I have this all wrong, but I always thought that advice was given because if you are unfit or maybe have excess fat to lose, total body workouts will burn more calories and give you a boost in your metabolism longer than a parts workout.

I also thought it was best to mix it up just to keep the body guessing so a month of total body might be good to lean out and then a month of splits to build mass. At least that's how I thought about it. Again - I could be all wrong.

Maybe I have this all wrong, but I always thought that advice was given because if you are unfit or maybe have excess fat to lose, total body workouts will burn more calories and give you a boost in your metabolism longer than a parts workout.

I also thought it was best to mix it up just to keep the body guessing so a month of total body might be good to lean out and then a month of splits to build mass. At least that's how I thought about it. Again - I could be all wrong.

You are not wrong! The results one sees from regular exercise varies greatly from person to person. One person might see results within the first month of doing a routine, and another person might have to do the same routine for twenty four months before showing the same results.

I have read a study that said that women should change their weight workout routine every three weeks because female bodies adapt much faster than male bodies to a routine.

Do what is fun and challenging, get regular cardia, strength and flexibility training in and you cannot go wrong. You will end up with a healthier body, maybe not exactly like in the magazines but the models themselves do not look like that either. We are all different and we should all embrace the differences.

I totally agree with the whole "mixin' it up" philosophy! I think that's why I enjoy the Cathe DVDs that I have: there is so much variety! The addition of Gym Styles to my library now gives me the opportunity to focus more intently on specific areas when I need to. I also try to mix up my cardio choices as much as possible by alternating HiiT routines with a more steady state type. So I'll select 30/30, then KPC, Intensity, then Step Blast, DWP, then back to KPC, etc. I can't wait for the new series to come out so I have more choices!

I just finished my first week of the "Gym Styles" rotation:
GSL, GSBSB, Intensity, GSL, GSCT, Step Blast
(I did Ab Circuits, HR, or STSTB abs on all days except the Intensity day)

Today is my rest day (and I need it, lol!). Next week I'll repeat the sequence again, except it will be DWP and KPC for cardio. I'm hoping to get comfortable enough to do a HiiT cardio after the upper body workouts. I just think I need more cardio in there! What do you ladies think?

I think body type needs to be taken into consideration, too - mesomorph, endomorph or ectomorph - when choosing total body versus splits (upper/lower or three day split). An an ecto or hardgainer, a split plan with lower reps and heavier weights works best for me. The older Slow and Heavy and Pure Strength series (3 day splits) are still my "go to" weight training workouts. If I have a busy week, I'll switch to an upper/lower split using PUB and PLB or CTX Upper and Leaner Legs.

Body Type

If ecto is a hard gainer and the splits with heavy weights/lower reps is good for them; then what is good for the endo and the meso? Just curious. I think I'm an endo. Thanks,

Beth

Also an endo and wanting to know more. I usually enjoy endurance-type workouts more than heavy, although I did get great results from ChaLEAN Extreme. I'm about to do Muscle Endurance fir the first time.

I'm endo & I find that the key for me is variety. I love doing heavy weights/lower reps the most, but if I stay in a rotation like that for too long, I get the whole "fat covering muscle" look. If I stay in an endurance rotation for too long, I get the skinny fat "no muscle tone" look. I mean, I'll lose some weight, but it won't necessarily look good. I can stay in between for awhile (around the 8-12 rep range) if I'm at a comfortable point w/how I look (maintenance), but it's the extremes that throw my body off balance. Also, during the high weight/low rep phases, I have to be VERY careful with my eats & getting in adequate cardio, in order to counter the "bulky/fat" look, yet still get what I need out of it.

So I'm constantly in phases (basically like STS meso's even when I'm not doing STS, if that makes sense).

ETA: just realized I didn't really answer the question, lol. I should add that that variety applies to the splits as well. During really heavy lifting I typically work in splits. During endurance phases, I'll alternate maybe one month of doing total body endurance w/o's 3xs a week, then the next time I'm in endurance mode, I'll do a split on two of the days, then a total body. But for the most part. I stick w/splits, only throwing in total body rotations here and there for maybe 4-6 wks at a time, and then going back to splits

Last edited:
I found a "Health" magazine article from 2001 that addresses the different body types

Tired of getting the results you want? The key is finding the right program for your body type.

JENNIFER CARTON WADE HAD LOATHED HER PEAR SHAPE EVER SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. "I HATED MY BUTT," SHE SAYS. She ran for years, but the miles she put in did little for her shape, and the extra weight she carried on her hips ended up causing pain in her knees. Looking for a less jarring way to work out, she happily accepted a friend's invitation to a spin-bicycling class. She assumed the class was for novices, but it wasn't. "I was tricked," says the 31-year-old occupational therapist from San Francisco. "When I got there, I realized the only 'beginner' thing about the class was me."

To Carton Wade's surprise, she managed to keep pace with the group. Biking, it turns out, tapped her body's natural strength--her legs and rear. "Something clicked inside of me when I started cycling," says Carton Wade. "It was much easier than going for a long run. By accident, I found something that I'm actually pretty good at."

All that pedaling held another reward: Her rear slimmed down, and she gained definition and tone in her thighs. "Everything just feels firmer," says Carton Wade. "I love that my legs look muscular and strong." These days, there's no getting her off a bike. In the two years since she was duped by her friend, she's barely missed a cycling class.

Sounds like the impossible dream: a workout that comes naturally and gives you the aesthetic results you're after? Well, pinch yourself--it's not just wishful thinking, according to the experts, even though few of us ever figure this out. "People beat themselves up over the fact that they're not good at something," says Leigh Crews, a personal trainer and spokesperson for the American Council on Exercise, "or that they work really hard but don't seem to get anywhere. They could be fighting their body type." Some people are just made to be runners, say, while others have a build that favors swimming or weight training. If you haven't found the right workout for your body, you probably know firsthand the frustration exercise can cause. But once you identify your body type, you can tailor your workout to your abilities, Crews says. What's more, you can start working on ways to balance your figure; you may even find, as Carton Wade did, that doing what comes naturally will give you the shape you've always wanted.

Body typing was developed in 1940 by psychologist William H. Sheldon. He had a theory that body shape determines personality. After scouring thousands of photographs, he came up with three basic shapes. The personality link didn't pan out, but the differences he charted turned out to be useful to nutritionists and exercise physiologists.

Sheldon's three body types have unwieldy scientific names, but their characteristics are easy to grasp: ectomorph (thin), endomorph (round), and mesomorph (muscular). Often, a person falls mainly into one of the three categories, but some people are an even mixture of two types.

You can either thank or curse your parents for your shape; for the most part, genetics determine body type. But knowing Mother Nature's no-exchange policy up front has an advantage: "Accepting that you're stuck with your body type helps you set realistic goals," says Alan Mikesky, an exercise physiologist at Indiana University--Purdue University at Indianapolis. "You may not be able to change your genetics, but you can certainly do the best with what your genes have dealt you."

How to know which category you fall into? Figuring it out isn't too tough, though you will have to stand naked in front of a mirror. If your parents passed down ectomorphic traits, chances are you're not harboring too many bitter feelings toward them at this moment. Ectomorphs have lean bodies; they're built like sticks. Picture Gwyneth Paltrow, with her willowy arms and narrow frame. They can even have a hard time gaining weight. (Crocodile tears, everyone.) Look in the mirror and flex your biceps and calves: An ectomorph's muscles, if visible at all, are long and thin.

For these string beans, it's building muscle that's challenging. The thousands of long microscopic fibers that constitute a muscle fall into one of two categories: fast-twitch or slow-twitch. Ectomorphs' muscles tend to have a high ratio of slow-twitch fibers, and these fibers simply don't thicken in the same way fast-twitch ones do, no matter how much work they get. However, the slow variety use energy and oxygen conservatively, and that translates into plenty of stamina. (Marathoners tend to be ectomorphic.)

At the other end of the scale are voluptuous endomorphs. Their bodies hoard fat, favoring the hips and thighs as storage sites. They often look like a pear, though they can have an hourglass shape--think Marilyn Monroe. In the mirror test, endomorphs may not be able to make out their muscles, since body fat can conceal definition. But if your build is pear shaped, or you store weight in your hips, you're endomorphic.

Although endomorphs constantly battle the bulge, their muscles tend to be a more even mix of slow- and fast-twitch muscle than ectomorphs'. That means exercise can give endomorphs the best of both worlds: nice results from strength training and satisfaction from aerobic work, says Dixie Stanforth, an exercise physiologist at the University of Texas. Endomorphs can also use their powerful lower bodies to advantage in skating and cycling.

Lucky mesomorphs are born with the ability to build muscle quickly and bum fat easily. A mesomorph's muscular build makes her a natural athlete. Think of Olympian Marion Jones with her muscular arms, broad shoulders, and narrow waist and hips. Anything that calls for strength and short bursts of energy is going to favor the mesomorph, since her muscles have lots of fast-twitch fibers to provide the quick spark needed for explosive sports like racquetball and tennis.

Because these muscle fibers get thicker in response to any work--be it swinging a racquet or pumping iron--a sharply defined bicep or calf is a giveaway that you're mesomorphic. So is a V-shaped build and a proclivity for tossing around bales of hay.

As you read more about your type (mesomorphs at right, ectomorphs and endomorphs on page 115), you'll learn which activities suit you and which you might not find as satisfying. The prescribed workout falls within the recommended range of 20 to 60 minutes of aerobic exercise, three to five days a week. But each combines activities that come naturally with moves that will help balance your shape. If you happen to love something that isn't recommended for your body type, don't panic. It may be that you're a combination of two types or that you've simply overcome some inherent limitations. Combos such as ecto-endo or meso-endo are common. If, from the mirror test, you think you're a mixture of two types, read both sections and follow the advice that addresses your needs.

For more help planning a personalized workout schedule, go to Health.com: Health News, Wellness, and Medical Information, click on "Fitness" and check out our Fitness Planner.
endomorphs
WHAT COMES NATURALLY

Pear-shaped women don't carry just fat on their lower body; some of that extra heft is pure muscle, which can power you through activities such as in-line skating, swimming, dancing, and snow skiing. Also, short- to middle-distance fitness walking is good, but go longer and you're risking injury. Endomorphs tend to be more buoyant because of their padding, an advantage while swimming.

WHAT YOU MAY FIND FRUSTRATING

Sports that involve running or jumping.

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SHAPE

Your goal is to do long-distance, low-impact exercise to burn off extra fat and slim your hips. Adding a little upper-body strength training can help balance out a bottom-heavy endomorph.

YOUR IDEAL REGIMEN

Skate, swim, walk, or cycle, 30 to 45 minutes, 3 to 5 times a week.

Lift weights, 8 to 12 repetitions, 1 to 2 sets, 2 to 3 times a week.
ectomorphs
WHAT COMES NATURALLY

Your slight build lends itself to distance running, fitness walking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking. Most ectomorphs are extremely flexible, so you'll find stretching activities such as yoga and pilates rewarding.

Most ball sports; anything requiring sudden bursts of speed or strength.

If ectomorphs complain, it's about their lack of curves. Full-body activities such as swimming or rowing can round you out with muscle. Weight training can also provide the definition you may crave, but don't overdo it; use weights you can lift 12 to 15 times. By the way, weight-beating exercise is a must, because most ectomorphs are small boned, which can put you at a higher risk of osteoporosis.

YOUR IDEAL REGIMEN

Walk or jog, 30 to 60 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week.

Cross-train on a rowing machine or swim, 30 to 60 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week.

Lift weights, 10 to 12 reps, 2 sets, 2 to 3 times a week.
mesomorphs
WHAT COMES NATURALLY

Muscular mesomorphs are good at just about everything they try. You'll enjoy tennis, basketball, and soccer; your build is also great for kickboxing or martial arts.

Because of mesomorphs' preponderance of fast-twitch muscle fibers, endurance activities may prove to be a challenge.

Be careful when weight training; you could easily overdevelop specific muscle groups, making you look out of proportion. And even though you burn fat easily, if you don't watch your diet and exercise, you could pile on the pounds.

Mesomorphs should stretch out regularly, since all that muscle can make you stiff. "Mesomorphs need to balance high-energy activities with something more mellow like yoga, pilates, or tai chi to help with the flexibility," says Crews.

YOUR IDEAL REGIMEN

Choice of aerobic exercise, 30- to 45-minute sessions, 3 to 5 times a week.

Regular stretching, such as yoga.

Lifting weights isn't as crucial for mesomorphs; strength-train as needed to reach your goals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.