Do I need a new step?

daisyduke

Hello, I'm new to Cathe videos, but I'm an advanced exerciser. I do have the Transfirmer. Do I need to buy the step that Cathe has, or can I just use the Transfirmer? Thanks!

While some people have used the Transfirmer for other, non-Firm, workouts, I wouldn't recommend it, especially for workouts like Cathe's where there is more impact. The plastic is harder and has less 'give' than that of the original club step, and could lead to joint and/or overuse problems, IMO.

And though I haven't seen any warning on the Transfirmer itself saying not to jump on it (like there is on the Fanny Lifer, which seems to be made of the same plastic), it definitely wasn't made for impact moves (and I'm too lazy to go searching my Transfirmer to see if there is a warning label).

The Step Co. step is also nicer to use as a bench, because it is longer. The length also adds to the intensity of the moves. And you can vary the height of the step anywhere from 4" to 12" or more, depending on how many risers you use (higher for step-ups and as a bench, NOT to step on).

I have read others say that you can use the Transfirmer for the BSS3 workouts, and I have not found them to be so low impact. I would defnitely be careful about jumping on the Transfirmer, as I don't think it is study enough. I love it a a piece of equipment, though.

Hi, I have the Reebok step and the transfirmer. I was using the transfirmer but the step is smaller and I flipped it up a couple of times. Now I am back to using my Reebok Step. This step is adjustable for up to 10 inches. The transfirmer is great to create the 14inches for leg presses. The Reebok step I got at Dicks Sporting Goods. I think it cost about 60.00. Its very sturdy and worth the money.

Jenn

Hey Daisy!

I used the Transfirmer with my Cathe workouts for about 8 months before getting the Reebok Step and High Step for Christmas.

I wanted to spend my $$ on workouts, not the step! :D

Now that I have the Step I NEVER use the Transfirmer. The Step has a much larger surface, giving you more travel room. It is also much sturdier and has rounded edges, allowing you to step up with smoother movements.

I'd say if you can get a new step, do so but if funds are short, you will be alright for a little while. Eventually you WILL want one!:D

Terri

>
>It is also much sturdier and has rounded edges, allowing you
>to step up with smoother movements.
>

I forgot to mention that aspect: the rounded corners vs the more-square corners of the Transfirmer. With the Transfirmer, you'd have to be more careful how you step, or you can catch on the corner, and who wants to pay so much attention to how they are stepping when you'd rather be learning the routine?

Also, the Transfirmer doesn't have the non-skid covering on that the STEP had to prevent your foot from sliding off the top (at least the long one, anyway, I have dug out my smaller STEP to see if that has the non skid top).

I would also highly recommend The Step. It's much more versatile and works well with Cathe's workouts. I also have the Reebok and Transfirmer steps but wouldn't even consider using them with Cathe.

Robin
;-)

I guess I'm the lone voice of dissent. I have been using my Transfirmer with Cathe's workouts for about a year (including the high impact workouts), and have never had any trouble (no flipping over the step or sliding). It is shorter than Cathe's step, but since I am tiny (under 5'), the shorter box gives me plenty of travel. And when I need to put my feet up on the bench, I just put the step near my coffeetable and use that for my feet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.