Do I have to find my 1 rep max?

ImFiddY

Cathlete
I'm lazy. And I've been working out doing 20 reps per exercise so I know my max that I can do for most exercises already. So... Can I just pick a weight and go for it and if it's not challenging then next time change it up?

Watching the new clips posted of STS, the push ups scare me. I can do some, poorly, and they do many,many reps. Everyone in the video is lifting some serious weight ! Looks good though, can't wait for STS to be shipped.

I'm lazy. And I've been working out doing 20 reps per exercise so I know my max that I can do for most exercises already. So... Can I just pick a weight and go for it and if it's not challenging then next time change it up?

Watching the new clips posted of STS, the push ups scare me. I can do some, poorly, and they do many,many reps. Everyone in the video is lifting some serious weight ! Looks good though, can't wait for STS to be shipped.

STS is no different from any other weight program. You certainly don’t need to do a 1RM test if you don’t want to. You can continue to select your weights just as you have in the past. However, we know from studies and from our own experience that most people don’t select the proper weight for each exercise unless they do a 1RM test and this means your results will not be as good as someone who does take 1RM tests. If nothing else we hope by including 1RM tests with the STS program we will get you to reevaluate the weights you use in your workouts.

Yes, you must find your 1 rep max or else you tv will implode and you will be sentenced to a life time of workouts with Barney the Purple Dinosaur ;)

lol !

Ack, not me. I'm not a hard core in shape person. I'm 49, fat, and trying to get into some shape. Not sure if STS will be my thing but I love weight training and I'm gonna just pick up the weights and do what I can. People at the gym are gonna be laughing at my big butt getting flung off the ball while I'm trying to balance my legs and do push ups. Will have to try those late at night at the gym !

Don't worry what others think....they are probably too busy worrying about their own arses. Do what you can and be proud of yourself so pushing yourself and getting stronger!

Ack, not me. I'm not a hard core in shape person. I'm 49, fat, and trying to get into some shape. Not sure if STS will be my thing but I love weight training and I'm gonna just pick up the weights and do what I can. People at the gym are gonna be laughing at my big butt getting flung off the ball while I'm trying to balance my legs and do push ups. Will have to try those late at night at the gym !

You don't have to be a world class athlete to benefit from a 1RM test. A 1RM test helps you find the weight for any exercise that is appropriate for your fitness level no matter what that might be. A 1RM test is not about finding the heaviest weight you can lift, it is about finding the safest and proper weight for your fitness level.

I have found that mentally, I can do one or two tests per day. Otherwise it seems overwhelming. So start with one each day. If you skip a couple days, so what. If you feel like doing 3 or 4, do it. Do the exercises you are familiar with, and then go from there. Don't let the 1 rep maxes get you down... but give a couple a try.
Ben

In my experience.....as a fat person......people do not laugh, snicker or look down at you in the gym. Some just ignore you, cause they are there to work out; some glance your way, because peopel (like me) are curious and are always looking at their surroundings.

In my experience......as a fit person.....I have nothing but admiration for those overweight who work hard, and are determined to change their lifestyle. Even though I went from 213 to 124 lbs, I still look at others who are going through the same process and give them a lot of respect for what they're undertaking. It takes a lot of willpower and determination and courage to do something like that.

And who knows.....one day, eventually, you just may become a hardcore exerciser! Cause....it's kinda an addiction.......

In my experience.....as a fat person......people do not laugh, snicker or look down at you in the gym. Some just ignore you, cause they are there to work out; some glance your way, because peopel (like me) are curious and are always looking at their surroundings.

In my experience......as a fit person.....I have nothing but admiration for those overweight who work hard, and are determined to change their lifestyle. Even though I went from 213 to 124 lbs, I still look at others who are going through the same process and give them a lot of respect for what they're undertaking. It takes a lot of willpower and determination and courage to do something like that.

And who knows.....one day, eventually, you just may become a hardcore exerciser! Cause....it's kinda an addiction.......

What an inspiring post!!! WTG on your weight loss and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the gym!!!

You are too hard on yourself. Stop it! You are doing a great thing for yourself just by working out. Don't worry about what other people think. Anyway, most people are too worried about themselves and how they look. I say go for it and if you enjoy lifting weights then keep at it.

I agree! I used to work at a gym and remember seeing this one overweight girl who was there every single day working out hard. I really admired her dedication and determination and respected the fact that she was working so much harder than those barbie doll girls who show up and are more concerned about how they look than getting a good workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.