Do Any of You Wear Socks?

melagras

Cathlete
My knees have started hurting and I thought I had purchased the wrong training shoes (Nike Zoom). I was reading some blogs and some are saying they don't wear socks when they workout. Last week, I began Elliott Hulse's Lean Hybrid Muscle workout. He finishes every workout with what he calls a fat loss finisher (sprinting/kettlebell swings/fast walk). I don't recall having any knee pain with any of Tony Horton's or Cathe's workouts.

Could it be the socks or the shoes or both?

I personally go barefoot for weight only or KB workouts and wear some toe spacers (for my pre-bunion), although I truthfully cannot see socks making a difference in your shoe unless they are quite thick socks. Hmmm.
Barefoot isn't for every foot, so I am not really encouraging this. Just showing you where my perspective was, if you know what I mean.
How long have you been wearing this new shoe? Do you feel it might be still being broken in? Are there certain moves that strain the knee or do they just feel fatigued or inflamed following the workout?

well I work on my feet 12++ hours on hard concrete, I ran for a couple of decades and screwed up both of my feet. I have to wear support protonation trainers, 130 dollar inserts (I know suck but they are worth it cause with out them I wouldn't get trough a work day much less a workout and my feet feel better with supportive socks. I can tell the diffence when I put on a worn pair of socks vs my sport socks. The supportive socks fill wonderful to my high arch, pronation, weak ankles, sore feet, whiney self :p

Oh and with all of that it took me 3 years but I do high impact and can run again but with care and moderation. I was motivated to keep going by someone on this board that was in car wreck with terrible feet issues. I'm thinking mine wasn't that bad. I will get back to being athletic again. Ok back to the socks.

Socks make a difference to me ;)

How long have you been wearing this new shoe? Do you feel it might be still being broken in? Are there certain moves that strain the knee or do they just feel fatigued or inflamed following the workout?

I started wearing the shoes about a month ago. I didn't notice any knee pain until last week when I started Elliott's workout. I don't think they are strained. Maybe they are just fatigued. I decided to give them a break and skipped the workout for today.

I wear Thorlo socks and I use Ryka studio shoes. The Thorlo padded socks have made a big difference to me. Since I messed up my right knee running too much, I wear a MacDavid Knee Brace, and I can still jump and do power 7's

An advocate for working out in bare feet. I have worked out with no shoes for 35+ years and for me, this is the way to go. I feel as though all the little muscles in my feet get to work out too! Just my 2 cents;)

I work out in bare feet unless something includes jumping as I have hardwood floors. I think a lot depends on the shoe (not really the socks) - I did a lot of research before buying my Nikes for all purpose training. I can't remember the exact name but they breathe easily and absorb shocks pretty well. But barefoot on a yoga mat is my favorite and so far no knee troubles (knock on wood!)! Good luck! :)

An advocate for working out in bare feet. I have worked out with no shoes for 35+ years and for me, this is the way to go. I feel as though all the little muscles in my feet get to work out too! Just my 2 cents;)
Do you do high impact barefoot too? I do weight work but hadn't thought to do higher impact without shoes.

Hi momto4! Yes, I do everything barefoot. I do make sure I'm on a cushy mat when I do plyo/high impact. I have had zero problems over the years and have NEVER worn shoes. I can't even imagine wearing shoes at this point!:)

I personally go barefoot for weight only or KB workouts and wear some toe spacers (for my pre-bunion

not to hijack the thread...but would like to discuss this with you....do the spacers help? I need help with this!! Maybe we can do a PM...I would have but do not know how...:(

There are certain workouts that irritate my knees. Most don't. I keep a pull on knee support for those workouts. I have discovered the ones that bother me are the repetitive cross in front (like a box step -dance move) at higher speeds. Once it is irritated, it can take a week to calm down again.
HTH

My knees have started hurting and I thought I had purchased the wrong training shoes (Nike Zoom). I was reading some blogs and some are saying they don't wear socks when they workout. Last week, I began Elliott Hulse's Lean Hybrid Muscle workout. He finishes every workout with what he calls a fat loss finisher (sprinting/kettlebell swings/fast walk). I don't recall having any knee pain with any of Tony Horton's or Cathe's workouts.

Could it be the socks or the shoes or both?
Another bare foot exerciser here. Started way back as I was in Tae kwon do. I am a first degree Blackbelt, I taught police officers so just continued in my own home as I discovered cathe. One reason I have no interest in joining a gym .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.