Disappointed with results

RachelleS

Cathlete
- disappointed in that I had NO results. I'm on my third week of slow & heavy - I split the tapes up with four days of doing Slow & Heavy body part first (30 minutes) and then either Taebo or a Cathe step workout. The fifth day I did a full Slow & Heavy tape (2 body parts) with no cardio. I measure and weigh myself once a month and although I have lose a pound in that month, my measurements did not change at all - NOTHING, not even an 1/8 of an inch anywhere. I am getting really frustrated - looking at me, you can not tell that I even lift weights and I've been using them consistantly since last October (started with the Firm until I found Cathe). And I'm using 8, 10, and 15 - 20 pounds (not very often) - although some days I have to use five. Just depends. I am just sick of trying to lose weight and not having any luck. I probably would be firming up with the weights if I didn't have so much body fat to get rid of. I've been messing around with my calories and doing weight watchers - doing the caloric staggering is what finally made me lose a couple of pounds. It is just so slow going and now that I'm still not seeing inches going - it just makes it all so frustrating. I think I'll do one more week of Slow & Heavy since my new DVD's won't be here for awhile and then go back to my regular lifting - 2 to 2 1/2 hours a week. Sorry, just had to vent. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. ;(

Hi Rachelle,

It's so disheartening to me to read your post. If I could, I would reach across the cyberspan, give you a hug, and tell you to hang in there!!!!! You didn't get unfit overnight and getting fit and toned will also take time. Sometimes when I'm not seeing the results I want, I think about how I would look (and more importantly, feel) if I WASN"T doing my work outs. So while it might not be showing on the outside, know that you are becoming more fit and healthy on the inside! The outside will eventually catch up!

I also didn't see much change with regard to definition etc. while I was doing my Slow and Heavy rotation. I certainly felt strong doing the rotation and did enjoy it. When I switched the next month to workouts that were more endurance based, that's when I noticed things happening. First, it took my body a good week to get accustomed to endurance work. The first time doing Muscle Endurance was horrible! I had a tough time completing any of the sets! But the following week it all kicked in and a) I could finish all the sets, and b) I found I could go heavier. This endurance training coupled with the cardio started to yield results in terms of definition (especially in my arms which is what I wanted). I don't think it would have happened if I didn't do the Slow and Heavy rotation first to really work the muscle fibers in a new way. Anyway, that was just my experience. For me, mixing in Slow and Heavy or Pure Strength rotations with endurance workouts is keeping my muscles from getting used to things.

It sounds like you're doing the right things. I know fitness can be discouraging at times (been there:) ). Please hang in there and don't give up!

Hey, I'd like to add my 2 cents. I started exercising in November of last year, started with Cathe tapes in February, and started seeing results in May. I still have a ways to go, and haven't exercised in the last week because of an accident at work (the ceiling collapsed on my head), but I plan to keep it up. It takes time! At least you are doing something that will show a health benefit in the long run.

I can only pass on what has worked for me in the past. Number one is consistency, consistency, consistency. It takes me about 4-5 weeks to see even the slightest change in my body (I have about 10-15 lbs I could stand to lose). The most success I have had is with journaling my foods everyday and staying within a certain calorie range. For me, the "magic" range is around 1300 calories a day. I try to keep my food choices "smart", ie. limit processed foods etc. I coupled this with "moderate" workouts, ie. I was working out 4-5 times a week. I lost 9 lbs, but it took a few months. Before my food journal I was working out 6 days a week even more intensely but wasnt watching what I was putting into my mouth and I gained 7 lbs very quickly! So, for me at least, diet is 80% of my success!

Good Luck!

:) Stacy

Thank you for your responses! I really appreciate them. I've been doing Taebo for the last 4 and a half years and I didn't have any weight loss while those around me doing Taebo (message board), were able to tone and lose weight. There are some wonderful success stories out there and I am so happy for those people. I just really thought that by adding weight lifting to my exercise program plus Cathe's step and interval workouts - it would help to shake things up. I'm just tired of not having a success story of my own when I've been trying to lose weight for so long. If I wasn't trying, it wouldn't hurt so much. I've lost about 16 pounds in the last year and I know, I know - I should be happy with that and I am - I'm happy I've lost instead of staying the same which I did for the longest time or even instead of gaining. And when I went to the doctor and I was at a 12 pound loss in September, she told me that losing 12 pounds in a year is okay. But even though I've lost the pounds, I don't feel like I have. I was almost in a size 18 and now I am in a 16 - 14 depending on the brand comfortably. I don't feel 16 pounds lighter at all. I'm one that can gain 10 pounds in two weeks for no reason and I haven't done that since I started lifting weights so that is a good thing. I just feel like by doing this different exercises, I should feel different about my body. I should notice a difference. I am sorry to whine. I'm really not a whiner. I just want to be healthy and to feel healthy and I don't feel that right now. It is so scary to think of what I would look like if I didn't exercise!!!!! Especially as people are always asking me when I'm due and my babies are almost 10 and 8!!!! Lord, they would think I was expecting triplets if I didn't exercise and eat decent. ;-) And I do weigh more now then I did when I was my heaviest pregnant so I can't blame them for thinking this big stomach holds a baby. I feel like I'm carrying jr around sometimes! LOL I was actually down to 145 after I had my second child and because of medication - gained a lot of weight. I know my metablism is just really messed up - if I have one at all. I'm beginning to wonder if I do. Anyway, sorry to go on and on. Thank you again for your words. and for the cyber hug. It is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

I like the S&H series a lot. Mostly because of the Leg workout is short and decent. Losing weight and gaining muscle is such a balancing act and it does take time and patience. It has taken me ages to get down from a size 20 pants to a size 4 but it wouldn't have happened if I couldn't laugh at myself along the way. If you are exercising by doing cardio and doing weights and eating reasonably then you just have to keep believing that you are doing something good for yourself. Even if it hasn't quite managed to show yet. I started with the FIRM and then with Spinning and then switched to Cathe. This year my project is to learn to run, get some core strength and work on flexibility. I try not weigh myself too often and just try to be 10 lbs. lighter each year. I read somewhere that that's just about a 100 calories you burn more than you consume to be able to pull that off. So each birthday if I'm 10 lbs. lighter then it takes the edge off being a year older!

I agee with Stacey that you might want to look at your diet and play around with the numbers. You might find this calculater helpful to work out a plan.
http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html

Eat lean sources of protein with whole grains and a little fat with each meal and lots of fruits and vegetables. There's a lot of information on eating plans in theOpen Discussion Forum. Here's one you might find interesting: http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=65884&mesg_id=65884&page=

Hang in there. It can be difficult to find the best formula for your success but when you do, you'll be happy and you'll see results!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif

Rachelle,

You have gotten some great replies here. Slow and Heavy will help you add muscle, but when you add muscle you usually add a tiny bit of fat. It's nudge up the muscle, then the next week nudge down the fat, then nudge nudge nudge. All the while you have a life to live!

So make sure to drink water throughout the day, at least a few sips every hour. Some weeks you can really give your all to your workouts, other times, take it easy. Make sure you keep active in your daily life- go shopping, walking, play with kids. Do everything, put on the bathing suit and jump in.

When I did my major weight loss I used Pure Strength and Power Hour and did cardio at least 2-3 days a week. Try to shoot for 4 cardios a week, whatever type (interval or steady) or duration. When you want to lose weight Slow and Heavy is not the one to go for. That puts mass on. Go for the endurance ones (use S&H rarely) and then when you have taken off significant fat, use S&H more. That's my advice.

Cathe has given lots of great advice here over the years, that I have read, and I recommend you read everything she writes! I am just another student of hers and remember, Cathe herself has been working out at the intensity you see, for many years, and her body has sharpened up over the years. Patience and self control (two of the gifts of the Holy Spirit).

Pictures of me: http://www.geocities.com/ciaobella98765/Fitness.html

Connie great advice. S&H is definetely what you want when you want to increase mass.

I know a long time ago Cathe suggested putting in IMax as well when you are trying to burn fat. Hopefully you can find her post.

Good luck

Check out this thread as well.
http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=29950&mesg_id=29950&page= We had a long discussion about losing fat and gaining muscle. Connie is right. While you are gaining mucle you need extra calories or your body canabalizes it's protein stores. So you need to focus on one goal or the other. Once muscle is laid down, you can blast fat while making sure you eat enough to maintain muscle mass. These principles are why we get to eat well even when we are trimming down!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif

It's funny you say to "play around" with the numbers. In October, when I added the weight lifting, I also started to keep track of my calories at fitday.com - for the first few days, I ate normal to see where I was at - 2200 to 2400 calories and since I had been maintaining my 185 for ever - I went to 1700 - 1900 calories with no weigth loss then to 1500 - 1700. I didn't lose anything by doing this. So I called the dietician (sp?) at our clinic and told her what I was doing and my exercise journal - she couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing so she said the only thing she could recommend was going to 1200 calories - so I've been doing that for - shoot, I'm at my in-laws this weekend so I don't have my journal with me - but I would say for a good four/five months - nothing major was happening. Just a few weeks ago I started the caloric staggering and I did lose a couple of pounds. I think I'm going to donate my body to science because I really think I do not have the normal body. Just dropping my calories by 500 should have did SOMETHING! I guess with the weight training - I was expecting to see more inches lost. More toning. Course, maybe once all this fat is gone, it'll show. LOL Thanks for all the links to check out - if I don't get to them this weekend, I will on Monday. And thank you again for the posts. It is great to get people's feedback and ideas.

Are you hungry at such a low number? You shouldn't be hungry at all even when trying to lose. And how's your energy level? If you get into deprivation mode, your body will hold onto fat stores and it becomes virtually impossible to lose. Are you stressed out? Do you get enough sleep? Have you had your thyroid checked?

There is a reason you aren't seeing results. Maybe you can try to focus on the fact that you know exercise is a good thing. You should be able to eat around 1800 calories a day. Make sure your cardio is fairly intense but make sure you are capable of putting on muscle. See your doctor. There are a number of reasons this could be happening. And finally, don't beat yourself up. The answer is out there and you'll find it! You are doing a great job! Hang in there! There's a perfect plan for you and you WILL find it!

Connie
I went on your site wow you look fabulous I cannot open the file about you weight loss Pure strengh and power hour roataion Could you tell me briefly what you did?
Thanks Lisa
[email protected]
If you could e-mail me at your convenience Iowuld appreciate it
I have been doing the pure strenght for the past week would love to see how you did it!

Maybe you should be doing the Fat Loss & Definition rotation Cathe put out back in June or July. If you can't find it, I can post it for you. Let me know. I personally think you need to incorporate more step work and endurance videos. Once you start seeing the fat leave your body, then incorporate the slow and heavy series. Just my opinion.
Debbie in OH

That is why I thought the 1700-1900 or even the 1500-1700 would work and I didn't lose ONE pound. When the dietician told me 1200, I thought she was nuts. I'm not hungry - and if I am, I do eat. I probably average 1300. I'm thinking I'll be able to go to 1800 to maintain. I had my thyroid checked in December and it's normal. The doctor in September told me there is no health reason for me to not lose, that I just have a really slow metabilism. I can't wait to find out the reason. My energy level has always been awful. I exercise at night as that is the best time for me - I'm in the mood, my body is limber - I HATE exercising in the morning. No matter how tired I am, I get my second wind at night.

If it's not problem, I'd love to see that rotation. I was just trying the Slow & Heavy for the three weeks as someone said it would help with a plataue (sp?).

That is why I thought the 1700-1900 or even the 1500-1700 would work and I didn't lose ONE pound. When the dietician told me 1200, I thought she was nuts. I'm not hungry - and if I am, I do eat. I probably average 1300. I'm thinking I'll be able to go to 1800 to maintain. I had my thyroid checked in December and it's normal. The doctor in September told me there is no health reason for me to not lose, that I just have a really slow metabilism. I can't wait to find out the reason. My energy level has always been awful. I exercise at night as that is the best time for me - I'm in the mood, my body is limber - I HATE exercising in the morning. No matter how tired I am, I get my second wind at night.

If it's not problem, I'd love to see that rotation. I was just trying the Slow & Heavy for the three weeks as someone said it would help with a plataue (sp?).

1300 calories -- wow! That is low! No wonder your energy, and your weight loss, may be lagging.

There's a great story in "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" about a runner who was taking in about 1300 calories a day and was frustrated that she wasn't losing weight. The nutritionist increased her protein and her calories to 2300. The runner lost three pounds off the bat and felt better overall. Our bodies are smart and will protect us in what they perceive are times of famine.

I dropped about five pounds last spring without even intending to after I started seeing a naturopathic physician (for low immunity). I started taking several supplements and I think that helped my body feel it didn't have to hold on to so much. Some of the supplements I was taking (MetaBerry, Aloe Gold, and MetaGreens from Oasis Wellness) are ones that he uses with his weight loss patients.

IMHO, poor nutrition and stress (from life, constant illness) will really sabotage any weight loss efforts.

Just another thought ... A few of the Body for Life champions followed a strategy of eating mega calories, putting on massive muscle, and then dieting down. So don't give up on the Slow and Heavy series. It's made a real difference in my ability to lift heavier, even in more endurance-oriented workouts.

Gretchen makes great points. I agree. By the way, at 130 pounds I now consume about 2500 to 3200 calories a day.

-Connie

I lost 8 pounds unintentionally after increasing my protein intake to recover from surgery. And I wasn't exercising when I shed them. It was a moderate increase. I added protein at breakfast and lunch, usually vegetarian sources. I found it really cut out carb cravings which I found common on my high carb diet.

Connie, how tall are you? Your abs look fabulous! That's what I am working on with the skinny at plan!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/smilejap.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.