Dirty Santa...grr......

atremo11

Cathlete
Okay,
Every year my on my husband's side of the family, we have to play "Dirty Santa" with all of the women. Here is the problem, I am 28 and the youngest by a good 15 years. And, oh yeah I have NOTHING in common with any of them. So, I am tired of ending up with bowls, or throws, you get the picture. Since it is "Dirty Santa" I am thinking about bringing a Cathe DVD, one that is not in my collection and trying to end up with it myself. None of them work out...I don't think they would fight over it.
So, is it evil or a good idea? I want something that I can USE this year. I am not trying to be the Grinch, after seven years, I think it is about time.
Any ideas...tell me the truth, please.

Ok, I must admit that I have NO idea what a "Dirty Santa" is... can you explain? sounds sorta like a chinese gift exchange or something similar?

Hmmmm... I would venture to guess you are correct though if you were to buy something YOU would enjoy you might get it back as it is unlikely anyone (but you of course) would want to break a sweat, however, I have found that when I have done this in the past this it somehow backfires... however, I have never gone so far as to buy a workout DVD it might just work! ***insert evil laugh here*** especially as you pointed out that none of them exercise!

I've never heard of a "Dirty Santa" either and honestly I opened up this thread wondering what interesting Dirty Santa information I would find out and thinking the worse. It was not of sugar plum fairies and such. :eek::eek:

Good luck on working out your gift exchange, I don't like them either, but even my best laid plans always seem to back fire on me. :(

You could always give the Cathe DVD and either give yourself the gift of working out...or give someone something that is just going to collect dust...just like what you have done for 7 years.

Wouldn't it be nice tho...if someone got it that actually used it. Either way...

I think that's a good idea. Christmas drives me crazy 'cause I always get crap. We have dirty santa at work and I loath bric-a-brack and dust collectors and all that garbage. Give me wine or chocolate or anything edible and now that's an xmas exchange.

Do it! I love that idea. I do the exact same thing with potlucks--bring something healthy that I know I'll eat because no one else will! :p

Could you suggest that the family change the rules and make it unisex?

Last year, our extended family switched from a unisex swap (the kind where everyone draws a number and chooses either an unwrapped gift or "steals" someone else's already-opened gift) to a really crazy and fun swap that has been the talk of the family gatherings for the past year. It works like this:

1. Everyone draws a #.
2. Gifts are selected in that order and are opened right away before the person with the next # chooses.
3. When all gifts are opened, everyone votes on: the most manly gift, the most girly gift, and worst gift.
4. Results are revealed, and then everyone sits in a circle for round two.
5. In the same order as before, each person now rolls a die.
1 = trade your gift on demand with the person of your choice
2 = if you're female, take the manliest gift; if you're male, take the girliest gift
3 = everybody pass left
4 = force any two people to trade (can't be you)
5 = take the worst gift
6 = trade with the person on your right or left (your choice)
We did two rounds of step 5 with everyone howling, absolutely HOWLING with laughter. In the end, goodwill trading is allowed. Ours is voluntary participation only, and it's just meant to be for fun.

I think if you can persuade them to switch to a unisex swap, there'd be more variety in the gifts, and everyone would have a blast.

Alternately, I think you could very gracefully back out of participating this year as so many folks are scaling back on gifts.

Hmmmm, what if you buy something completely hideous and keep the receipt. You wind up with it and return it to the store and use the $$ to buy something else you'd prefer. No one would be the wiser and you're not out any $$.

My family did something like this years and years ago, although it was a little different, we drew names from a bowl, one of my sisters drew my name and guess what she got me (the gifts were supposed to be 25 dollars and under)... a pair of bungee cords. WTH?? It was just a nasty gesture... I haven't spent Christmas with them since...I have a hubby, MIL and a dog whose company I MUCH prefer.

I'd be careful about putting in a Cathe DVD if you want it back. They are quite expensive and even though none of these ladies workout currently they might have some New Year's resolutions and think about keeping it. I think I'd just get some stuff from Bath and Body Works and call it good. Just donate whatever junk you end up with from the swap or if it's possible, just don't participate.

I also have no idea what "Dirty Santa" is (the image it brings to mind is someone dressed as Santa, molesting women who come to sit on his lap).

Cathy we play a game similiar to yours but we exchange gift cards. Me and my 2 sisters luck out because we are married and usually end up with 1 gift card to a store and 1 gift card to resturant. :p

Your game sounds like a lot of fun and I may have to suggest it for next year. Or even to play this year with the cards. We will just leave out round 2.

And to the o/p I wouldn't bring a Cathe dvd. Curiousity may get the better of people and if you don't end up with it you might not get back it in trade. I think you should bring a gift that if you get back your happy and if you don't your happy. Then it's a win/win. Or try suggesting changing it to a unisex game.

Good luck.

Jenn

Maybe "dirty santa" is just a southern slang, but it is what I have always heard it called. I think of the Billy Bob Thornton movie he did, where he dressed up as Santa. I think I am going to get a DVD off deepdiscounts.com. They have Jillian Michaels and a few others I wouldn't mind ending up with...
Thanks for the suggestions!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.