diet is what works best

kariev

Cathlete
as i sit here post workout drinking my recovery drink i think to myself about my past fitness endevours. i've come to the realization that its not one type of workout that has worked best for me, its being honest with my nutrition that has given me results. I have done everything from all weights/no cardio, all cardio/no weights, light weights, heavy weights, circuits, body part splits, full body workouts, body weight only, etc. and they have ALL worked in getting me the body i strive for as long as my diet has been in check. So as i'm at a point now where i keep struggling to lose these last 5-7lbs and i keep switching to different routines each week b/c i read somewhere that one way is better to another i'm at a realization that it doesn't matter what routine i do, its whats going in my mouth. in the past i have found great balance in 3 weight workouts (whether it be full body or splits) and 3 cardios (either intervals or steady state) have given me a nice rounded routine. As i screw up on my diet and binge each week, it has occured to me that my balance is off. I'm doing cardio daily to make up for the binges which is resulting in a heavy cardio routine where i'm losing strength, i'm looking flabbier, my appetite is skyrocketing and my muscle is diminishing. So starting today i'm making a promise to myself to do 3 cardios and 3 strengths each week for no more than one hour and get serious with my diet. I'm tired of working out to try and compensate for a poor diet. Its not worth it anymore not to mention its draining me. So today i was missing STS and decided to make meso 1 into a full body workout. I did 1/2 of each workout for week one and was done in an hour. I really liked doing this and felt i worked each muscle well. In the past i've been so afraid of "bulking up" but looking back the only time i have felt or looked bulky is when my diet sucked and i had an extra layer of flab covering my muscles. So this is my thought for the day, thanks for reading.

Diet is absolutely important.est The other thing I find is consistency. It almost doesn't matter what I am doing as long as I am doing some cardio, strength and flexibility training. I have found tho that with a lower intensity workout routine I am less hungry and have more energy. Since I started this I can actually fit into my skinny jeans and I mean the skinny jeans that are so popular right now. I have had them for awhile and could no longer zip them up (too tight in the leg also) after STS and CLX. I don't weigh myself so I have no idea about that. The other thing is I am eating 3 full meals and 1 snack a day. No more mini meals. Best of all I am not eating my way thru the evening. I will have something but no big deal and it is always healthy i.e yogurt & fruit or some dates. And best of all I am enjoying myself.

Kariev,
You are so spot on with your realization. I am always looking for the perfect routine that is going to get rid of unwanted pounds. It is not about the specific way that we train our body it is about what goes in our mouth. It ALWAYS comes back to that. It is a daily struggle, but I know that trying to undo any damage by overexercising is not effective and just never works.

Susan

Hi,

I have experienced overtraining, in part due to trying to out exercise when I ate to much. I am much better now. My workouts are less intense and I am not as hungry.
Yoga has been a lifesaver for me because although it is challenging, it does not seem to increase hunger and I can perform a yoga workout on an empty stomach with no weak or light headed feelings. For me, moderate exercise, counting calories and keeping active with daily activities is what has worked the best and is most managable.

Cindy

ITA that diet is the most important factor. You have to eat for your lifestyle. If you exercise a lot/vigorously and/or are just lead a very active lifestyle then you need to eat more to sustain that. If you are less active naturally and/or choose a less vigorous work out routine then you need to adjust your intake accordingly in the other direction.

I've posted this before but it bears saying again...I have recently discovered that fat is not the root of all evil as I always previously thought that it was. I have increased my fat intake from 20-25% to 30% and have seen wonderful results from it!

I don't see myself quitting the exercise (at least not for many many years!) but I also know that if I stop watching what I eat that no matter how much I exercise, I WILL eventually gain weight and slowly lose all that I've worked so hard for over the years.

There is definitely a balance that needs to be found and maintained and once you get it, the results will come. :)

Ditto times a zillion! I got in great shape with 30 minutes of exercise (the FIRM!) about 4-5 x a week, and a balanced diet. Three meals a day, a snack here and there, skipped a breakfast here and there, and that was it. I'm back on that track, but mixing in Cathe and running, am down 10 pounds so far, with maybe 5 more to go, tops. But if I stayed where I am right now I'd be happy too :)

I think this post was meant for me today. I am always trying to compensate for my bad eating with more workouts; and it turns into a cycle. I exercise so hard that I'm ravenous and eat everything I can get my hands on, then feel the effects of my overeating and exercise so hard again...
Thank you for the reminder on clean eating!

ditto to all of you. I agree diet is key, I will find myself pacing my house after I eat something bad trying to make up for it. Im going to try reallly hard today to clean up my diet for me it's low carb high protein and I know this but my head is not cooperatinng.

After reading several threads (end of overeating) and these posts, this has been my realization too. It's easier for me to overeat and then try to exercise it off and get into a downward spiral. I have been focusing on eating better (and measuring my salad dressing!!) and not so much on exercising and its made all the difference in the world. I'm still very active but I'm focusing on the fact that I can't outexercise a poor diet. Thanks again ladies!

Lisa

I say this all the time but

You are absolutely correct. A couple of years ago I lost 55 pounds in a summer even though I was on bed rest. (shattered right foot) It sounds like you might benefit (I do mention this all the time, but I promise I'm not getting any money from it.) the IOWL podcast. Doing the top down work (head and heart) is just as important as doing the bottom up (feet/exercise and stomach/diet.) Its called Inside Out Weight Loss with Renee Stephens (spl?) It has helped me with all or nothing thinking and also with integrating effective tools for dealing with set backs/binge moments/days. I don't know if it would help you but I like that it is free and that every time I listen I hear something different even though its the same recording. I do recommend starting from the beginning and not in the middle.

This is true for me, as well. I'm always amazed when someone says they lost so many inches or so many pounds doing a new program but haven't changed their diet. That doesn't work for me! Especially since I don't seem to burn very many calories when I exercise. :(

My problem is more cravings for bad things than eating too much, however. I don't know how to get rid of those.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.