Did I really start Running?

112toGuru

Cathlete
What the heck is wrong with me? I started a run/walk program this month and for the very first time (I've tried this numerous times, okay maybe 4 or 5) I haven't Quit! Now I'm not running all that far yet, or all that long, but dang if I didn't get through those first couple weeks. (hardly any pissing-moaning, treadmill is now a pee & moan-free zone) Hurray!

Seriously though, is it really possible to start running without getting all mental about it?.....:rolleyes:

:confused:

Linda
Former world recorder holder Treadmill to Couch.:(

Last edited:
Good for you Linda!! I just started running again about 9 months ago. At first, I was very mental about it, thoughts of like I will never be a runner, I'm not good enough/fast enough. Now I just turn up my iPod louder to drown them out (I think I'm almost deaf though). Before you know it, you will be running a 5K. Keep it up!

Good luck,
Regina

That's great!! Getting started is the hardest part as you've already found out. And just remember how great you feel after a run-that will help motivate you to keep going. Keep up the great work!!

We should start a check-in for the Non-runner runners :D I just did a few miles on the tm last night 'by accident'. I've been on the fence about trying for a daily attempt at running but have been putting it off because it just seems so hard. Really, though, it's pretty efficient cardio and if I could get my head straight, I could probably do 3 miles in the morning on the TM without dying on the spot...probably. don't know why it's such a mental hurdle!

Congratulations on your progress!! hoping it continues to be a energizing experience. It's such an overall attitude boost when we do things we didn't think we could :)

We should start a check-in for the Non-runner runners :D I just did a few miles on the tm last night 'by accident'. I've been on the fence about trying for a daily attempt at running but have been putting it off because it just seems so hard. Really, though, it's pretty efficient cardio and if I could get my head straight, I could probably do 3 miles in the morning on the TM without dying on the spot...probably. don't know why it's such a mental hurdle!

Congratulations on your progress!! hoping it continues to be a energizing experience. It's such an overall attitude boost when we do things we didn't think we could :)

If you would like to start a check-in I'll be there with bells on. I kinda of think this all happened by accident, I'm thinking it was absolute luck I found Cathe workouts, lucky I stuck with them, lucky I challenged myself, and lucky I recognized when that needed to happen. I'm at an every other day run/walk right now, looking towards a 4x a week for the next part. It's a physical challenge, I've got the regular workout habit pretty good. I think?

Thank You Regina (way to go! too funny with the iPod), Wendy, seriously changed everything about what running is, compared to what I "thought" it was.

Linda:)

Way to GOOOO Linda! I also think running is mostly mental. I have to get thru the first 5 minutes after I start just to feel, "Okay, I CAN DO THIS!" Maybe you are stronger now because of your Cathe workouts and you've built up your endurance to make running possible. Keep at it. I love to jog! (I can't quite say RUN as I am pretty slow. I blame that on my short, stubby legs! :)) Have fun and just keep, keepin' on!!!

One of the things I love about running is that it is always challenging for me. I have been running for 3 years and although there are times that I don't like it, I usually feel better after a run, even a bad run. I don't get all mental about it. I used to but that is just wasted energy. I'm not the fastest runner out there but at least I'm out there.

I admit that I wouldn't run if I didn't race because racing is what motivates me to run. I love doing races (I do about 2 a month) and have met so many great people.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks DebbieH, I know that all those Cathe's built the foundation, and it's strong. They also built the 5-6 day a week exercise habit. In fact it was an old post about 10 reasons to run 10 miles that really got me thinking & motivated:

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/10-reasons-run-10-miles-226625/

I think (hope) I'm geared for a little distance; speed? not so much. I like your quote too Jane. I do have a competitive streak, right now though I'm just getting some time in, I have an idea of where I might want to go with it.:)

Thanks Elsie,

Here's a clip about the "mental" part, you have a lot of weird things go through your head sometimes, mostly I go back to a cadence to snap out of it, this is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NsMw10KVVCk

Last edited:
I think the most important thing about running is to do what comes naturally to you. Don't get all hung up on form, speed, distance....your body knows how to do this! Every time you run you'll attain a new goal and enjoy it more and more.
I used to run and really enjoyed it until somebody told me I ran too slow and my form was "off". When I tried to change things, I pulled a hip flexor that sidelined me for years. It will still flare up from time to time if I make my strides too long while walking.
I've been thinking about picking up jogging again; it's perfect for burning fat and hardening bones! The Cathe workouts have definitely given me more strength, aerobic capacity, and flexibility! Maybe it's time?:eek:

Last edited:
:( You sure about that Nancy? swimming yes, biking yes, baseball, basketball, etc. etc. running, natural, uh no. My body gives me the icy stare when we say the R-word. So now we just spend a little time on the treadmill, and then we Kangoo Jump, for the rest of the workout.

I actually like that part of the challenge and chose the Run/walk method, it just seemed like the way to go, not really concerned about whether or not it makes me a real runner. All that matters is I'm running now. 1st goal 3-weeks to a 30 minute a day running program, 2nd goal run/walk training for a 5k (that actually ends with a 30 minute run) 3rd goal run/walk 10k training program.

Good advice, thank you.
Maybe it is time for you to pick it up, there's no shortage of tools out there, however you want to do it!:)

That's great!! Getting started is the hardest part as you've already found out. And just remember how great you feel after a run-that will help motivate you to keep going. Keep up the great work!!

I actually feel the best after Kangoo Jumping, running not really but then I'm really just starting, I think though I'll give the old college try, for sh-ts & giggles. One big difference this time around is speed, my last attempt at running was at the beginning of the year, just jogging for 20 minutes straight, it was very slow (& miserable), with the walk/run now I feel a lot better and it's more like running, not jogging shuffle foot, and I'm getting a lot further with it.

I do feel pretty good about that.:)

Gosh, I think running is mostly mental!:confused: I didn't think I would ever run again. I love running, but just thought I was too old, I guess (I'm 47) because of knees and hips. But now that I have been working out for the past 8 months...I picked up running again a few weeks back. And I love it...but it is sooo tough!! I always go through that " I wanna stop, I wanna stop" every single time.. So I have this knock down, drag out argument with myself in my head!

That link above on youtube is HILARIOUS BTW.

Tralaiven, It is tough, and for a new runner, the programs are so slow in progression, I get why but seriously allowing the strength to build is like watching paint dry...that plays with the head, you know you're getting somewhere, but it's like walking through a pool of peanut butter.

The advice is mental too, form, focus, shoes, posture, water, and food, not to mention all the other do's and don'ts. And then there's 50 million ways to hurt yourself while running, I thought "why AM I doing this" at my age, am I completely going off the deep end? then there's the products, Gu, that other slippery stuff, teeny tiny shorts (no thanks) support hose or what ever they're called, the all important High Impact Sports Bra, yes I am cursed.

I find it very beneficial to laugh as much as possible, hence the video.:)

112toGuru said:
Tralaiven, It is tough, and for a new runner, the programs are so slow in progression, I get why but seriously allowing the strength to build is like watching paint dry...that plays with the head, you know you're getting somewhere, but it's like walking through a pool of peanut butter.

The advice is mental too, form, focus, shoes, posture, water, and food, not to mention all the other do's and don'ts. And then there's 50 million ways to hurt yourself while running, I thought "why AM I doing this" at my age, am I completely going off the deep end? then there's the products, Gu, that other slippery stuff, teeny tiny shorts (no thanks) support hose or what ever they're called, the all important High Impact Sports Bra, yes I am cursed.

I find it very beneficial to laugh as much as possible, hence the video.:)

Ooooh Linda! Where's the pool of peanut butter??? Sounds like my kind of pool! :)

Absolutely. I started running by accident last August by doing Cardio Coach on my treadmill and finding I couldn't get my HR up high enough without running. I just did my first half marathon last week and am doing a 25k trail run in 3 weeks. I'm in a running club now and am meeting a whole bunch of people I never would have met before. And it has changed my body like no other cardio activity ever has. Of course, I also started STS and changed to a clean diet at the same time, so it's not just the running. I definitely enjoy it more than any other cardio activity.

I agree with you Donna how running has changed my body. It definitely slimmed down my hips and thighs and that was just by running on the treadmill. Once I started running outside, I saw even more definition in my legs because of having to use different muscles. Running is not my favorite thing to do (Cathe DVDs are, of course) but I can't give it up with these kind of results.

Regina

That's a lot of running in less than a year Donna, good for you! I think the diet is important too, I didn't have to change too much on that and I do think the running is literally working my butt off, it does have that overall slimming effect. I'm pretty happy I just don't dread it anymore. Actually I didn't even dread it before, I'd just quit before I'd even got started. One hurdle, down.

It might not be my favorite thing either Regina, but I always loved sports and running was/is a rather large component of most, plus the fitness factor, hard to beat it.:)

The trail running sounds neat, I'd probably end up in a tree, yeah, maybe next year on that one. :eek:

Yes, a lot of people wipe out running trails. You need to do it a little differently, and at a slower pace. Plus a pair of trail shoes is pretty much required. It's not as much impact because the ground is softer, but there's a bit more agility involved, so it's stressful in other ways. I haven't actually done a Cathe cardio workout in about 2 years. I just don't have the room for it, which is why I ended up running. Good thing she makes such excellent weight work videos because I'd miss her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.